PDA

View Full Version : Pickpoketing in AC 2

thebutcherhead
12-11-2009, 04:45 AM
A lot of feedback from the first game seemed to convey that pickpocketing from AC 1 was boring and repetitive. Now that AC 2's here, we have a new game, and a new system for stealing from civilians. This time around, instead of pocketing throwing knives, the mechanic is used for racking up a few coins, making it more consistent with AC 2's addition of a currency system.

That being said, the system was more immersive in the first game, but it's cyclical use in AC 1's mission structure made it repetive, although that may have had more to do with the game's mission structure itself rather than the mechanic. In AC 2, thievery is less time consuming, making it less of a stub in gameplay, but not quite as rewarding.

thebutcherhead
12-11-2009, 04:45 AM
A lot of feedback from the first game seemed to convey that pickpocketing from AC 1 was boring and repetitive. Now that AC 2's here, we have a new game, and a new system for stealing from civilians. This time around, instead of pocketing throwing knives, the mechanic is used for racking up a few coins, making it more consistent with AC 2's addition of a currency system.

That being said, the system was more immersive in the first game, but it's cyclical use in AC 1's mission structure made it repetive, although that may have had more to do with the game's mission structure itself rather than the mechanic. In AC 2, thievery is less time consuming, making it less of a stub in gameplay, but not quite as rewarding.

Altaio
12-11-2009, 04:49 AM
I'd say AC2, because you aren't required to pickpocket. It's just for kicks. I think this makes it more enjoyable rather than a chore. Also, I think it's more convenient to be able to buy your throwing knives as opposed to pickpocketing them from thugs, like in AC1.

Fenro
12-11-2009, 07:33 AM
I have to say for myself that Pickpocketing was alot more funer in AC1, i loved the Pickpocket missions

-
-
*takes down the hate shield*

but seariously in AC2 Pickpocketing is fun and all but it quickly loses the meaning once you have gained the trophy for it and advanced halfway through the game and money isnt an issue anymore.

i for one wouldnt mind if they added actual pickpocket missions to AC2.

caswallawn_2k7
12-11-2009, 07:47 AM
I don't get why we don't get throwing knives and things for pick pocketing in AC2, if you ever loot a pile of dead civilians in AC2 you can get throwing knives, smoke bombs, potions and even poison, why is it we can take these things while pick pocketing.

but all in all I would say the AC2 system is better as if your just short of something you want to buy you can just walk through a crowd and come out the other side with the money you need.

thekyle0
12-11-2009, 07:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fenro:
i for one wouldnt mind if they added actual pickpocket missions to AC2. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>They did. You had to pick Dante Moro's pocket.

OzDavis
12-11-2009, 08:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by thekyle0:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fenro:
i for one wouldnt mind if they added actual pickpocket missions to AC2. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>They did. You had to pick Dante Moro's pocket. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
And the ribbons...don't forget the ribbons!
"Could I trouble you for a ribbon?"

thebutcherhead
12-11-2009, 08:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by thekyle0:
i for one wouldnt mind if they added actual pickpocket missions to AC2. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>They did. You had to pick Dante Moro's pocket. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the meant as an actual side mission like the races or assassination contracts.

thekyle0
12-11-2009, 09:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by thebutcherhead:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by OzDavis:
And the ribbons...don't forget the ribbons!
"Could I trouble you for a ribbon?" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Nice. That's an even better example<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by thekyle0:

I think the meant as an actual side mission like the races or assassination contracts. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Like OzDavis and I pointed out, it is a main mission which is really just as significant as if it were a side mission. There wouldn't really be a point to making more of an ephasis on it because it gets repetitive even before you no longer need the money.

thebutcherhead
12-11-2009, 11:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Like OzDavis and I pointed out, it is a main mission which is really just as significant as if it were a side mission. There wouldn't really be a point to making more of an ephasis on it because it gets repetitive even before you no longer need the money. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree. It's a main mission, so you can't replay it. Being incorporated as a main mission causes the feature to lose emphasis if anything. Also, in side missions pickpocketing could be used for acquiring information on targets among a variety of other uses like in the first game, so having too much money wouldn't be an issue at all. Also, if you actually read the information from pickpocketing in AC 1, it gave you information that made the finall assassinations more fun, as opposed to just cutting down to a chase and spamming the X button on the guards at the end, which did make the game repetitive.

Availability as a side mission could help enhance other missions like the assassination contracts. What if you stole information detailing your target's location and a special vantage point you could use to thrawrt him? A scenario like that could also help beginners gain a better understanding of how to utilize the game's landscape terrain and cover more effectively and to a specific purpose, adding more depth to gameplay.

And that's all besides the point. The reason I created the poll was to ask if people thought AC's pickpocketing was more fun as opposed to just pressing the A button over and over, in AC 2 which i personally thought was kind of awkward.

G0dsHolyMember
12-11-2009, 01:11 PM
meh...I wasn't a big fan of the pickpocketing in either one simply because it wasn't terribly interesting.

in AC1, the camera angle got so wierd that bumping into stuff and maneuvering behind the person was pedantic

in AC2, pickpocketing was as simple as the push of a button. I like this style more since it was just a means to an end...and is a great way of getting rid of those pesky minstrels. This was fine and made for an interesting feature.

Personally, I think that pickpocketing should be like a Splinter-Cell style minigame like picking locks or hacking

In the case of pickpocketing in AC, a new screen, or window would pop up and you would need to guide your player's hand in the NPC's bouncing pocket as they walk (it would move and flex based on the NPC's rate of movement). You would reach for items like money, weapons, items, etc. If you touch the sides, the NPC gets alerted and you had better take off. You should be able to grab multiple items if you don't get spotted on the first go.

It might also be fun to secretly disarm guards without them knowing it like stealing arrows out of quivers, daggers off of agiles and sheathed swords off of guards. Of course these would be far more challenging to pull off...but it would be fun to surprise a guard you disarm and watch their puzzled behavior when then reach for a weapon they no longer have

thekyle0
12-11-2009, 03:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by thebutcherhead:
I disagree. It's a main mission, so you can't replay it. Being incorporated as a main mission causes the feature to lose emphasis if anything. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Having it in a main mission doesn't cause it to lose emphasis. I see your point that a side mission which involves pickpocketing would add more emphasis, but putting it in a main mission couldn't possibly be drawing attention away from it.

Also, in side missions pickpocketing could be used for acquiring information on targets among a variety of other uses like in the first game, so having too much money wouldn't be an issue at all. Also, if you actually read the information from pickpocketing in AC 1, it gave you information that made the finall assassinations more fun, as opposed to just cutting down to a chase and spamming the X button on the guards at the end, which did make the game repetitive </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
1) I never said that having too much money would be an issue. I just meant that once you reach over 400k most players would no longer be interested in the paultry amount of money that pickpocketing actually gets them.
2)Where are you getting the idea that I didn't read the maps/letters gotten from picking pockets in AC1? Why are you assuming I didn't use any strategy? Nevermind. Those are beside-the-point questions to your beside-the-point statements.

Availability as a side mission could help enhance other missions like the assassination contracts. What if you stole information detailing your target's location and a special vantage point you could use to thrawrt him? A scenario like that could also help beginners gain a better understanding of how to utilize the game's landscape terrain and cover more effectively and to a specific purpose, adding more depth to gameplay. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> That would be bringing back aspects of the investigations from AC1 which most players didn't enjoy. On the assassination side missions all the information on your target was provided by Lorenzo's letter. If there are going to be maps/letters to give the player more information on the target then they could be included in the letter, rather than adding such as trifling step to the mission.

G0dsHolyMember
12-11-2009, 05:15 PM
Why does it always have to be "information collection" or an obvious giveaway of where the target is.

I think that Hitman Bloodmoney did a fantastic job letting the player do their own investigation and observation of the area rather than forcing the player to be spoon-fed information and approach via pre-established way-points (in many instances).

Ubi should definitely consider making AC3 more free-form in its assassination strategies, giving the player a whole buffet of ways of finding the target, identifying the target and executing the target.

AC2 had some fantastic assassinations and I especially loved the missions requiring stealth. This game has so much potential, giving the player even more freedom would be excellent.

guipit
12-12-2009, 03:28 AM
I didn't like how the people stumbled after you pickpocketed them looked awkward man

kingbren08
12-12-2009, 03:46 AM
ye and im pretty sure that they apologize when you bump into them