PDA

View Full Version : Is it Ok to turn off an engine just like that?

lapiii2007
08-18-2007, 11:08 AM
It seems to me that there are things you should do before turning off the engine, such as closing the radiator, turning the power down and turning off the propellars. I think without that procedure, the engine may crack or something. It all must be done gradually, I guess a quarter at a time for 2 to 3 seconds.

lapiii2007
08-18-2007, 11:08 AM
It seems to me that there are things you should do before turning off the engine, such as closing the radiator, turning the power down and turning off the propellars. I think without that procedure, the engine may crack or something. It all must be done gradually, I guess a quarter at a time for 2 to 3 seconds.

Capt.LoneRanger
08-18-2007, 11:23 AM
That depends. You usually pull back throttle before stopping the engine, but AFAIK radiators are pretty much left open due to the fact that in RealLife you usually have to run the engines for quite a while after starting them, before they get the right temperature and are checked and stuff.
The propellers of most aircraft cannot be "turned off".

Helicopters usually have a clutch to be able to warm up the engines without the dangerous rotor-blades rotating. I also read that some turbo-props have clutches for their propeller, but I don't know, if that is true.

mortoma
08-18-2007, 05:10 PM
Most aircraft you just idle down and pull out the mixture all the way out until the engine dies. That's about it as far as recips go.

XyZspineZyX
08-18-2007, 05:54 PM
Some engines may require a short idle period to scavenge oil. Also, my memory says that the engines were revved to clean spark plugs, prior to shut-down

Akronnick
08-18-2007, 07:18 PM
all of which doesn't matter as far as the game goes because the game doesn't model failures, and gives you a factory fresh machine every time you hit "fly"

TX-EcoDragon
08-19-2007, 02:37 AM
No reason to in the sim. .

In the real world, the basics are:

Cowl flaps/radiator are generally opened after landing and left that way, (prop is already fully forward--high RPM), then just before engine shutdown avionics (radios) are shut off (either individually or with an avionics master switch), power is often raised a to help keep the plugs from fouling with lead deposits, and the mixture is pulled to idle/cut-off. . .after that turn off the alternator and battery master switches.

Low_Flyer_MkVb
08-19-2007, 05:41 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Akronnick:
all of which doesn't matter as far as the game goes because the game doesn't model failures, and gives you a factory fresh machine every time you hit "fly" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point.

Taylortony
08-19-2007, 02:18 PM
As said, you turn off the radios first to prevent spiking them, then increase the rpm to clear the plugs then Idle, pull the mixture and mags off last... this is so as to burn any fuel remaining in the engine first...... as you do not want fuel in a hot engine......

But Aircooled engines are a different kettle of fish, these you need to keep power on in the descent, Idle descents from altitude can heat soak shock loading to the engine and can cause cylinder or crankcase cracking...... so you maintain power in the descent and allow it to heat soak slowly..