PDA

View Full Version : Yet another disheartened subsimmer regestiring his views

fire all tubes
05-22-2004, 06:49 PM
First of all hello to every one who has an opinion(which is most of us). This post is from another "hardcore" simmer who has to register his views with the format for the gameplay proposed in sh3. I must admit i was looking forward to an exceptional sim when sh3 came out!!! Untill i heard about the campaign structure, patrol area scripting and the transit jump to patrol zone. I will voice my concerns and ideas with these three topics in mind.

First off all the Transit jump.
This i am a little disapointed with (after all i do remember Florin pegging this game as a U-Boat captian simulator and what capitan did not plot his own course http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif) I could live with this scenario if we could set certain transit options before setting sail(i.e submerging during daylight hours, setting engine speed, hydrophone check intervalls etc ect, all of these should affect the probability of the so called randon encounters by the way.

Patrol area scripting.
If i have got the gist of this correctly then the patrol area will be entirely scripted (please correct me if i am wrong, i hope i am)This for me will make sh3 a big dissapointment, after all 100 missions does not give much af a replay factor. Historically i do believe that some U-boats were dispatched to intercept certain convoys/ships, but certainly not every real ww2 mission. My conclusion on this subject would be to make only a few of the 100 missions scripted but with these scripted missions assign certian objectives like "encounter/engage a certian convoy" or "penetrate the english fleet base scapa flow". Obviosly you would have specific intel on these missions and this could lead to easy scripting.

Campaign structure.
This whole 3 mission scenario has me worried. What real life ww2 capitain had a choice in where he sailed his boat?? (apart from mabye the capitains who test drove the newer classes of boat). A more realistic approach would be flotilla assignment/assignment to R&D or even better assignment to Admiral Deonitz's staff http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif.

Now i'm done boring some of you, if i have repeated the views of others then you have apologies.

Also i must state that i believe the lack of true dynamic environment games these days, is down to production/development companies not wanting the gamer to have the replay factor because it prevents / distracts you from buying new games. After all games like CAOD, silent service and SH1 are still being played today and are still rated by the players. I do not agree with their capitolist, profit/greed related attitude. A quality product will always bring in more revenue.

fire all tubes
05-22-2004, 06:49 PM
First of all hello to every one who has an opinion(which is most of us). This post is from another "hardcore" simmer who has to register his views with the format for the gameplay proposed in sh3. I must admit i was looking forward to an exceptional sim when sh3 came out!!! Untill i heard about the campaign structure, patrol area scripting and the transit jump to patrol zone. I will voice my concerns and ideas with these three topics in mind.

First off all the Transit jump.
This i am a little disapointed with (after all i do remember Florin pegging this game as a U-Boat captian simulator and what capitan did not plot his own course http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif) I could live with this scenario if we could set certain transit options before setting sail(i.e submerging during daylight hours, setting engine speed, hydrophone check intervalls etc ect, all of these should affect the probability of the so called randon encounters by the way.

Patrol area scripting.
If i have got the gist of this correctly then the patrol area will be entirely scripted (please correct me if i am wrong, i hope i am)This for me will make sh3 a big dissapointment, after all 100 missions does not give much af a replay factor. Historically i do believe that some U-boats were dispatched to intercept certain convoys/ships, but certainly not every real ww2 mission. My conclusion on this subject would be to make only a few of the 100 missions scripted but with these scripted missions assign certian objectives like "encounter/engage a certian convoy" or "penetrate the english fleet base scapa flow". Obviosly you would have specific intel on these missions and this could lead to easy scripting.

Campaign structure.
This whole 3 mission scenario has me worried. What real life ww2 capitain had a choice in where he sailed his boat?? (apart from mabye the capitains who test drove the newer classes of boat). A more realistic approach would be flotilla assignment/assignment to R&D or even better assignment to Admiral Deonitz's staff http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif.

Now i'm done boring some of you, if i have repeated the views of others then you have apologies.

Also i must state that i believe the lack of true dynamic environment games these days, is down to production/development companies not wanting the gamer to have the replay factor because it prevents / distracts you from buying new games. After all games like CAOD, silent service and SH1 are still being played today and are still rated by the players. I do not agree with their capitolist, profit/greed related attitude. A quality product will always bring in more revenue.

sdcruz
05-22-2004, 07:57 PM
the thing i really hate is that they call this linear method 'Dynamic" in their description - how wrong is that! I wish Oleg Maddox and his dev team would create a WW2 subsim - he would set the standard no doubt.

Egan2.0
05-23-2004, 07:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
I do not agree with their capitolist, profit/greed related attitude. A quality product will always bring in more revenue.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, but you see, these cunning design choices are made to ensure that Unreal Players with no interest in Sub sims will buy the game!

Its Nothing to do with money at all!

Apparently a risky venture is better than a sure thing....