PDA

View Full Version : Serious Idea for BOB

MystiqBlackCat
02-14-2006, 12:53 PM
I was just reading a thread about stick forces and reality and I was thinking about a way to improve the existing system. If someone has already thought about this and I missed the thread I apologize.

Hopefully some of you have heard of Day of Defeat: Source, in that game they have a stamina bar that is depleted when you sprint or jump. As the bar is depleted and you cant run or walk as fast.

What if They usd a similar system for BoB? Do the same with stick forces as IL-2, 50lbs, or 60lbs, and then have a stamina bar. It could be visible or not, doesn't really matter but as you perform manuevers and pull Gs you deplete you stamina and can exert less force on the controls.

I think this would add alot to a flight sim, It would make all kinds of aerial battles more realistic because we couldn't pull a dozen or so manuevers without penalty. You would be less able to exert control and have fewer options. This would add a totally new dimension to flying, you would have to wiegh your chances on every engagement keeping in mind what you can and cannont pull off.

Of course it could be an option that you can turn off in the options just like stalls, spins, CEM, and others. What do you guys think? I hope the devs would seriously consider this idea.

Stackhouse25th
02-14-2006, 01:05 PM
You mean like 'rearm' 'refuel' and dynamic weather?

Pig_Mac
02-14-2006, 01:20 PM
Get an unmodded, not yet worn in HOTAS Cougar and the stamina bar will be your own arm =)

A few week more of playing with it and the 4.03 patch and my right arm will look like that of a tennis player.

We can't pull too many manouvers now either, while maintaining enough energy to remain a threat.

MystiqBlackCat
02-14-2006, 01:40 PM
I have read a couple discussions on the forums where people have mentioned that the stick forces are modelled the way they are because we dont have any type of fatigue modeled for pilots. I was just thinking of a way to have fatigue easily modelled into Battle of Britain to make the game more realistic and immersive.

Everyone isn't going to buy the same joy stick so that is not a viable solution.

Waldo.Pepper
02-14-2006, 02:08 PM
I strongly favour this idea.

For those who don't I think it should be toggleable.

JG4_Helofly
02-14-2006, 02:09 PM
An exellent idea I think!
A fatigue model would be great because the online dogfights would be much more realistic.
And an important point is that some planes were better than others in hard stick force and high G manoeuver. Imagine a doghfight with a tired spit pilot which is outturned by a fresh fw 190 pilot for exemple or p 47 outturn an bf 109 for red http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

It would realy bring very much realism.

In battleground for exemple ou have such a bar and that's a game like battlefield and NOT a flight sim!

Because many people here and in other forums ( German ) whant such a system, is it possible to sent the idea to Oleg or does he already know about it?

Flakwalker
02-14-2006, 02:17 PM
But we already are on the controls, you can get tired by you own on constant meneuvers.

badatflyski
02-14-2006, 04:14 PM
i know the most gonna hate me but...

wa have already something that calculates the G's for the black out, why not the same for the
visual fatigue? (Blur)...the most ppl i see on the dog-servers (it happen rearly, caus i prefear flying with a squad on a online war or a coop against an another squad, organized and without the "got to score" mentality) is that everyone is turning like hell, in RL if you do that, after 2 or 3 minutes you won't be able to see the big red warning written on the dash like "DO NOT PULL THE RED STUFF OR YA DIE"...so if oleg could implement a kind of calculation system that would Time the 3G's turns so the pilot wouldn't be able to see anything (blur vision) for let say 30 seconds, that will force the player to fy the plane more on energy and less on "turns" (it's not a WW1 sim..no?)...
after those 30 sec, the vision would be back to a normal state and the pilot able to fight again with his full capabilities.

Sintubin
02-14-2006, 04:20 PM
I favour it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Destroyer110
02-14-2006, 05:08 PM
Great idea but a force feedback stick is better .. maybe stiffen up the stick when too many maneuvers have been performed?

Chuck_Older
02-14-2006, 05:24 PM
Hmmm...it is very close to the 'role playing' aspect of CFS3 that I absolutely despise

Toggles are great, and I'm all for options, but my stomach clenches whenever I read about ideas that simulate pilot fatigue with a stamina bar or somesuch

I'm biased against it. I admit it, I try to be honest. I personally don't care for the idea. As long as it's a level playing field, it shouldn't matter, and if you want player fatigue, why the need to simulate it? You get bored/tired/sloppy just sitting there at your desk. My @ss hurt today just sitting in front of the PC at work for 3 hours at a strech, writing up procedures. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

MystiqBlackCat
02-14-2006, 07:46 PM
I don't think the bar should be visible, seems to arcade-like, but I prefer to fly full switch servers.

I do think that it should be a toggle though. I can see the positives and negatives of the idea now, I just thought it could add a little to the game for us who aren't going to drop $40+ on a new joystick with force feedback. I like my stick because it works fine and already has more buttons than i can use.

Plus if I had a force feedback stick that stiffened up instead of an in game "meter" then I would probably brake it trying to get those last couple of degrees for a shot.

Chuck_Older
02-15-2006, 10:21 AM
No instant success on, or off? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

JS312RAF
02-15-2006, 12:50 PM
im all for it!

triggerhappyfin
02-15-2006, 03:22 PM
What about adding an enema bar to the stamina bar?
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blush.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

Sorriii

Stafroty
02-16-2006, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by MystiqBlackCat:
I was just reading a thread about stick forces and reality and I was thinking about a way to improve the existing system. If someone has already thought about this and I missed the thread I apologize.

Hopefully some of you have heard of Day of Defeat: Source, in that game they have a stamina bar that is depleted when you sprint or jump. As the bar is depleted and you cant run or walk as fast.

What if They usd a similar system for BoB? Do the same with stick forces as IL-2, 50lbs, or 60lbs, and then have a stamina bar. It could be visible or not, doesn't really matter but as you perform manuevers and pull Gs you deplete you stamina and can exert less force on the controls.

I think this would add alot to a flight sim, It would make all kinds of aerial battles more realistic because we couldn't pull a dozen or so manuevers without penalty. You would be less able to exert control and have fewer options. This would add a totally new dimension to flying, you would have to wiegh your chances on every engagement keeping in mind what you can and cannont pull off.

Of course it could be an option that you can turn off in the options just like stalls, spins, CEM, and others. What do you guys think? I hope the devs would seriously consider this idea.

It would get quite complex, after all, as: first you would have that level of energy in your blood, when you use it and stamina bar goes low, again reloads after time, should we still have the same amount of energy to waste? of would it come down eventually?

How can we sure what is the limit how much would WW2 pilots who were (at least in here) in really good shape phycically (not meaning or caring about the graphical way).

would time itself worn the stamina bar, how would it affect on graphical presentation of the virtual pilot, as pilot get tired because he dont anymore have intrest of looking the skies cos theres never anything in air. but, how fast would in real life all senses break in action, when first team mate would be shot down, or scream in radio emerged "BANDITS BANDITS BREAK BREAK" !! i bet that would shake the last drops of tiredness, that also drop the cold feel german soldiers had in Stalinggrad when they were waiting next attack to come, all were shaking in coldness, but, when action was beginnning, like russians were attacking, they no more felt cold..

how to model that?

mynameisroland
02-16-2006, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by MystiqBlackCat:

Great Idea mate.

It would be cool if Statistic software for example FBD was compatible so that if you were a pilot that was experience and had a higher K/D ratio you could pull slightly more 'Gs' for slightly longer.