PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Game: AC meets Oblivion?

lilbacchant
06-23-2010, 12:50 PM
** Minus the magic and monsters, of course.

Mix and match the best of both into a brew that'd be at least 80 proof.

Enjoy. Discuss. Go outside if you need to vomit.

Bruno_Berg
06-23-2010, 01:40 PM
I decided to vomit right here by my desk instead. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Seriously though, I think that would suck terribly I'm afraid. They're both great games and hey, what would oblivion be without the magic and monsters? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

El_Sjietah
06-23-2010, 01:41 PM
The only thing Oblivion has going for it is world design. Other than that, the game is mediocre at best.

lilbacchant
06-23-2010, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by El_Sjietah:
The only thing Oblivion has going for it is world design. Other than that, the game is mediocre at best.

You don't think, as well as the true sandbox, that the skill-based leveling, joinable factions, multiple side quests, etc. would be fun too?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting a marriage of the current games. I'm suggesting they mate and produce a brand new offspring. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

El_Sjietah
06-23-2010, 02:20 PM
The levelling system the Elder Scrolls series uses has always been kind of 'meh' to me. I like the fact that they have a broad range of skills, but you don't get the feeling you're actually getting any stronger. Could be because of the monsters levelling with you as well though.

Multiple side quests are always a plus, but I found the ones in Oblivion to be somewhat generic. It usually ends up as 'go to this cave/ruin, pick up this item/kill this guy and return to me'. I'd rather have them look at a Bioware RPG if they're thinking about side quests.

Joinable factions are a nice idea though. I loved rising through the ranks as you completed assignments. I did prefer Morrowind to Oblivion in that regard, but it was fun in Oblivion nontheless.

caswallawn_2k7
06-23-2010, 02:35 PM
why oblivion? morrowind was a much better game http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

lilbacchant
06-23-2010, 04:32 PM
The levelling system the Elder Scrolls series uses has always been kind of 'meh' to me. I like the fact that they have a broad range of skills, but you don't get the feeling you're actually getting any stronger. Could be because of the monsters levelling with you as well though.

Multiple side quests are always a plus, but I found the ones in Oblivion to be somewhat generic. It usually ends up as 'go to this cave/ruin, pick up this item/kill this guy and return to me'. I'd rather have them look at a Bioware RPG if they're thinking about side quests.

Joinable factions are a nice idea though. I loved rising through the ranks as you completed assignments. I did prefer Morrowind to Oblivion in that regard, but it was fun in Oblivion nontheless.

Well, first off, I'm not suggesting that Oblivion (and I only said OB since it's the newest in the series, feel free to think of the Elder Scrolls in general) is a perfect game ... it certainly has its flaws -- as does AC.

In this light, I wasn't suggesting the skill-leveling, etc. should be lifted exactly as implemented, only that it'd be a welcome inclusion as a gameplay concept. Similarly, I generally prefer the combat in AC over OB, but I still envision improvements to the system in this 'ideal' game.

I guess what I'm saying is think "generics":

- A true, open, sandbox world. A customizable character.

- Some kind of skill-leveling system, where how you play influences your characters improvement in some skills vs. others.

- Joinable factions, where your reputation in one faction will influence (good or bad) your rep w/ other factions. And perhaps, e.g., certain skills and storylines will only open up based on your faction choices (further enchancing replay value).

- Vibrant, active, populated cities like in AC, but have the ability to interact w/ the population in general.

- AC-caliber storytelling, just substantially less linear. (I'll be the first to admit that the storyline in OB left a lot to be desired).

- Combat, free-running, wall climbing, etc. similar to AC, though presumably tied into the skill-leveling.

Anyway, just a few examples. Perhaps I'm the only one who gets goosebumbs imagining Altair doing a leaping assassination that takes out a couple of bandits in an Aelyid ruin. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blush.gif

El_Sjietah
06-24-2010, 03:26 AM
Ah, then I agree, that would make the game more interesting. Although at this point I'm mostly hoping they won't deviate too much from the actual assassinations and turn it into a generic action game instead.

lilbacchant
06-24-2010, 01:03 PM
Ah, then I agree, that would make the game more interesting. Although at this point I'm mostly hoping they won't deviate too much from the actual assassinations and turn it into a generic action game instead.

For AC, absolutely. I was in no way, intentionally anyway, suggesting the AC/OB style game should be w/in the AC series itself -- I imagine it as a new IP/franchice. The AC series is, well, what it is and quite good as it is ... and trying to force the above suggested changes into the series would be a clusterf**k.

AC is a strange and unique blend of story-based, rpg, and action/adventure games. They absolutely should continue to stir that blend according to their own vision.

I, personally, just think there's an RPG void out there waiting to be filled w/ a great game -- a void that's been there for years. And, it seems to me, a developer who starts w/ a framework that incorporates some of the best elements of OB and AC would have a legetimitate shot at filling that void.

In otherwords, I'm just whining. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

monkeyuncle8
06-24-2010, 05:32 PM
yeh seriously it would probably be the perfect game, since oblivion focuses more on content than graphics (like most video games should), but assassins creed is awesome at graphics and animation, which is what oblivion lacks
I hope a merger goes through

adarwinter
06-25-2010, 01:44 AM
i always wished for an action RPG to include the free running and a deep combat system. that's what u r saying, to sum things up.

the games that are closest to this that are in development are:
FABLE 3
The Witcher 2
Two worlds 2
Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the damned
The first templar
True crim: Hong kong

The first templar is developed by a studio i've never even heard of so im not counting on it to be good but it looks like a semi-realistic take on a game like oblivion. not holding my breath for it to be god but it's there.

True crim: Hong kong is looking mighty fine though there no sword fight and it's a lot more like GTAIV but it has some sort of free running. don't know much about the game but the gamespot interview made it look really fun with it's melee kung fu system. im really excited for it.

POTC: armada of the damned looks like a cool game that might give some nice action and sword fighting in a world that might be open or might be semi linear (u can go anywhere u want but the areas are linear). that's a game that looks promising ATM and definitely on my radar.

Two worlds 2 looks kinda crap ATM.

The witcher 2 looks gorgeous and has nice combat animations and dynamics but the devs keep saying it wont be action game but a hard core RPG like the first game. a shame cuz the combat is shaping up to be pretty AC like.

and Fable 3 is fable 3....