PDA

View Full Version : Newb Single-Player Campaign Question

jjhennes
09-12-2005, 11:35 AM
I've thinking about picking up IL-2 and the associated add-ons but I had a quick question how the single-player campaigns were dealt with.

Are they dynamic? Does my success or lack-there of have any bearing on future missions etc.

Or like many other flight sims am I just completing mission after mission, unable to advance to the next mission until I complete the current, with no real lasting effect of my success?

I'm looking for something that's a little more involving than just finishing X amount of missions in a completely fixed order.

Thanks a ton!

jjhennes
09-12-2005, 11:35 AM
I've thinking about picking up IL-2 and the associated add-ons but I had a quick question how the single-player campaigns were dealt with.

Are they dynamic? Does my success or lack-there of have any bearing on future missions etc.

Or like many other flight sims am I just completing mission after mission, unable to advance to the next mission until I complete the current, with no real lasting effect of my success?

I'm looking for something that's a little more involving than just finishing X amount of missions in a completely fixed order.

Thanks a ton!

Dew-Claw
09-12-2005, 11:39 AM
Yes.
There are also Static historical campaigns,
and 3rd party Dynamic Campaign Generators.
The possibilities are endless http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Friendly_flyer
09-12-2005, 12:00 PM
There are dynamic missions in the sim. You won't win the war with your flying, but you may save your squadrons behind, and advance up the ranks. When squadron commander, your ordering of the squadron can have a very great impact on success. As the war progresses, you will be transferred to new and better planes, and you may actually fly the whole war through.

There is an option in the game called "no instant succsess". When turned off, it will allow you to progress through the missions even if you do not complete the mission (though you might still be killed or captured).

Kuna15
09-12-2005, 12:14 PM
IL-2 (original) does not have dynamic campaigns, only static. That was changed with Forgotten Battles, when dynamic campaign generator was introduced. And further on, stock FB, AEP, and PF have only dynamic campaigns.

Although I play dynamic campaigns, good static user made campaign is always better (every mission is story for itself unlike in dynamic system); there are some awesome user made campaigns outhere.

When (if) you pick up the game, post here if you are interested in custom campaigns you can get good reccomendations by community.http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

jjhennes
09-12-2005, 02:52 PM
I just grabbed the original IL-2, sans any add-ons. Does that mean I only get the static campaign?

Kuna15
09-12-2005, 03:29 PM
Yes assuming you have only original IL-2 game. As I say in FB you can have both, static and dynamic.
And do not think that good static campaign is worse than dynamic. They both have their advantages and disadvantages.

As it is now, I prefer static campaign.(I have merged FB+AEP+PF)

jjhennes
09-12-2005, 05:11 PM
I just don't like having to run the same mission over and over to move on.

Taylortony
09-12-2005, 05:22 PM
you should have got Forgotten battles as the original is a stand alone, forgotten battles is the one to get, it is forwardly updatable ie, the AEP disc and Pacific fighters, it also updated the planes, we got a lot more and also new maps........... As said the one you have has got a hell of a lot better sound, but when you feel like joining folks online, you really need the FB AEP PF combination........... enjoy the one you have, btw have you patched it? you get new planes etc http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif it is a awesome game, so immersible and so cool to play, you will become hooked and maybe feel like getting the others............

put it another way every one in here are still playing a game in its different versions that came out over 4 years ago and there is still nothing to knock it off the no1 slot.......... and the only one likely to do that is BOB the new battle of britain game that maddox games are working on now......... and thats from the same people that brought us this.. you are on the first rung of something special..... ENJOY