PDA

View Full Version : Locked save file has cost me months of lost time

paulkitching
02-27-2011, 02:53 PM
I'd just like to state my disgust at the ludicrous policy of locking MY save data so that I can't back it up.

I've been playing Assassin's Creed II GotY Edition for a couple of months, and I'm almost at the end, but my PS3 has just broke. UBISoft has now caused my to lose my save game data, and I'm furious about it.

If you lock the save, you should provide an on-line backup service.

I won't be buying any more UBISoft games from now on.

Krayus Korianis
02-28-2011, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by paulkitching:
I'd just like to state my disgust at the ludicrous policy of locking MY save data so that I can't back it up.

I've been playing Assassin's Creed II GotY Edition for a couple of months, and I'm almost at the end, but my PS3 has just broke. UBISoft has now caused my to lose my save game data, and I'm furious about it.

1. It's not THEIR fault for YOUR PS3.
2. IF it's locked (I don't believe it is), you should have used a Mobile Memory Device.
3. Have fun.

Evan52395
02-28-2011, 07:27 AM
How is it their fault your PS3 broke? Most games would've done that anyway so I guess you have a small selection of games you're restricting yourself to buy. Have fun.

And you can always youtube how AC2 ends and then buy AC:B and try to learn from your mistake.

paulkitching
02-28-2011, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Krayus_Korianis:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paulkitching:

2. IF it's locked (I don't believe it is), you should have used a Mobile Memory Device.
3. Have fun. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. I didn't say it was. It's their fault I lost my save as they stopped me backing it up.

2. It is locked, and I have all my other games (except 2 which also use this stupid locking policy) backed up to an external drive, my PC and a USB Flash Drive. None of which helps when my PS3 breaks.

3. Nice trolling.

paulkitching
02-28-2011, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Evan52395:
How is it their fault your PS3 broke? Most games would've done that anyway so I guess you have a small selection of games you're restricting yourself to buy. Have fun.

And you can always youtube how AC2 ends and then buy AC:B and try to learn from your mistake.

Again, I didn't say it was their fault it broke. They chose to stop me backing up my save file. THAT'S their fault.

All my games (approx 30) except 3 allow me to back them up, so no, I'm not restricting myself much. I'll just not pay companies that stop me having control of my own data.

Which mistake to you talk of? I didn't make any. UbiSoft made a massive one, though, and so did both of you that replied in such an ill-informed way.

Poodle_of_Doom
02-28-2011, 09:02 AM
Actually, when you said they, I assumed you meant the PS Network. Please don't blame Ubisoft for this. There's a problem with the older systems.... From when they first came out. If your PS system is fried, contact them. You can find the necessary forms by clicking here. (http://us.playstation.com/support/ask/) That said, if this method will not work for you, you can call them at 1-800-345-SONY, MON-SAT 6:00am-8:00pm PST, SUN 7:00am-6:30pm PST.

A friend of mine had a similar issue to the one your describing, and his was even out of warranty. They offered him a free repair of his system, and when they could not, replaced it with a brand new, slim one, with double the storage capacity. They even tried to save his data off of it.... Give it a try,... maybe it will help, maybe it won't.

Again, please don't blame Ubisoft. They really don't have any control over Sony, and how they control data flow, and storage.

Sorry for any inconvenience you are having, and I hope that my suggestions will solve your problem.

Thanks!

paulkitching
02-28-2011, 09:15 AM
Thanks for a sensible reply http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I'll look into what you said.

I do still blame UbiSoft, as it is them that made the decision to lock the save game file (Sony should never have added to option in the first place, but they don't dictate who uses it). Almost all other games allow me to backup my saves.

Poodle_of_Doom
02-28-2011, 09:53 AM
Thanks for a sensible reply http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I'll look into what you said.

I do still blame UbiSoft, as it is them that made the decision to lock the save game file (Sony should never have added to option in the first place, but they don't dictate who uses it). Almost all other games allow me to backup my saves.

I was under the impression that they were all locked. I'm mistaken though. I hope it works out for you. Maybe Sony can come up with a solution for you.

That said, have you tried lobbying your complaint towards Ubisoft? Maybe they'll lob you some free DLC for the inconvenience.... you never know! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

True_Assassin92
02-28-2011, 10:29 AM
I know I had the same problem, I lost my saves as well. Lucky for me I got all the achievements before that. One thing I can say, is that you can copy your files of ACB http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

SleezeRocker
02-28-2011, 10:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paulkitching:

1.Agreeable, but let's assume OP didn't purposely destroyed their PS3 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

2. Yes it is locked. Assasisn's Creed 2 has a Copy-Lock enabled to it. I can relate to the OP because my ****** PS3 broke down last tuesday, and of all my games saves I had back-up on USB drive, AC2 and Dead Nation weren't copyable, but I got all the torphies for AC2 so..im not in too much sorrow for it, if naything gives me another reason to play thorugh AC2 again!

3. Just so you know, of all games by Ubisoft that I own for PS3, so far just baout all except Assasisn's creed 2 is copy protected. Good thing AC Brotherhood wans't locked cince I have so much more ocmpleted on that than AC2!

On personal not, it's not your fault Paul that your PS3 broke down.
I know what it's like losing everything from the old PS3. But now I have a Slick PS3 with Killzone 3 included (Wow I really suck at shooter games but *SPOILER* I seem to be breezing through Elite mode (Very Hard)...either im really lucky, or the games story is easy as hell), new controller, lightweight, and I upgraded it's curent drive with a 500gb drive for 50$ on amazon http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Krayus Korianis
02-28-2011, 01:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Krayus_Korianis:

1. I didn't say it was. It's their fault I lost my save as they stopped me backing it up.

2. It is locked, and I have all my other games (except 2 which also use this stupid locking policy) backed up to an external drive, my PC and a USB Flash Drive. None of which helps when my PS3 breaks.

3. Nice trolling. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I haven't trolled, so that's uncalled for with your troll post. Since it apparently BLOCKS you from Copying... You CAN MOVE the data to another device.

ChaosxNetwork
02-28-2011, 01:33 PM
Wow how immature are you? You are blaming Ubisfot for blocking data? when it is not there fault what so ever it is a problem with PS3 memory core. Any game will have done the same thing. And then you say other people are trolling for defending them? When you came to the Ubisoft/Assassin's Creed Forums and what, expected us to also bash them? You are very foolish if this is true.
I HOPE you never play another Ubisoft game again, as you do not deserve to play one.

paulkitching
02-28-2011, 01:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Krayus_Korianis:

3. Have fun.

3. Nice trolling. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I haven't trolled, so that's uncalled for with your troll post. Since it apparently BLOCKS you from Copying... You CAN MOVE the data to another device. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Numbering your (incorrect) comments, then putting number 3 as "Have fun" is clearly just to annoy me and cause a reaction. That's trolling to me.

My post was just me showing my complaint to UbiSoft over their policy, which I would think is a consumer right. That's not trolling.

And you can't move your data to another device if the one with it on is broke.

paulkitching
02-28-2011, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by xHITx_Chaos:
Wow how immature are you? You are blaming Ubisfot for blocking data? when it is not there fault what so ever it is a problem with PS3 memory core. Any game will have done the same thing. And then you say other people are trolling for defending them? When you came to the Ubisoft/Assassin's Creed Forums and what, expected us to also bash them? You are very foolish if this is true.
I HOPE you never play another Ubisoft game again, as you do not deserve to play one.

This is becoming comical.

Once again, since you obviously didn't read or understand what I said earlier, I'll repeat it. I'll break down the points to make it simpler:

"You are blaming Ubisfot for blocking data? when it is not there fault what so ever"

Yes I am blaming them, and yes it is their fault. They made a decision to lock the save game file, which most games don't do.

" it is a problem with PS3 memory core."

Are you just making this up as you go along? It's fun to read, but of course completely wrong.

" Any game will have done the same thing."

Sigh. No they don't as I've pointed out countless times. From these responses I can only assume that you haven't had a PS3 long, or have never backed up a save game to a flash drive, as you would know if you had.

"And then you say other people are trolling for defending them?"

No I didn't. I said he was trolling for putting "Have fun" at the end of a list of replies with the sole purpose of trying to annoy me. I knew he was wrong with his replies so it just made him look foolish.

" When you came to the Ubisoft/Assassin's Creed Forums and what, expected us to also bash them?"

No. I came here to let UbiSoft know how I felt about their policy of locking files.

"I HOPE you never play another Ubisoft game again, as you do not deserve to play one."

Why? Because I'm annoyed at UbiSoft for preventing me from backing up my save game and wasting weeks of work? Why wouldn't anyone be annoyed at that?

If anyone from UbiSoft reads this thread, then that's all I wanted. I wasn't looking for replies. They need to know the problems and wasted time they cause by such a stupid decision.

ChaosxNetwork
02-28-2011, 02:14 PM
Actually all games with save files such as Assassin's Creed, Grand Theft Auto, Red Dead Redemption, ect have the problem that when there is a failure in the Hard Drive it can cause locking of all save file, look it up on the internet.
No it is not their fault. It is Sony's.
I do not have a PS3, I am an Xbox Gamer and the same thing happens with the old 360's.
You were trolling yourself as instead of just explaining the problem and hoping for help you went straight to bashing Ubisoft and so therefore you deserved a response that was sarcastic back at you.
And it does not take weeks to complete an Assassin's Creed game 100% it takes 24 game Hours, which may be spread out of the course of a few weeks/months - See what you said and what really happened on the amount of time "Lost" is very Very different.
Actually I hope you don't play one because you said "I won't be buying any more UBISoft games from now on." and instead of asking for help, tried to slap them down.

paulkitching
02-28-2011, 02:49 PM
Actually all games with save files such as Assassin's Creed, Grand Theft Auto, Red Dead Redemption, ect have the problem that when there is a failure in the Hard Drive it can cause locking of all save file, look it up on the internet.

I've never heard of that, and couldn't find anything about it, though I obviously didn't enter the right search for it.

No it is not their fault. It is Sony's.
I do not have a PS3, I am an Xbox Gamer and the same thing happens with the old 360's.

It's Sony's fault to allowing file locking in the first place, but UbiSoft chose to use it on A.C.II. If they hadn't, then I would have a backup on my flash drive right now, and wouldn't have a problem.

You were trolling yourself as instead of just explaining the problem and hoping for help you went straight to bashing Ubisoft and so therefore you deserved a response that was sarcastic back at you.

I didn't expect an answer from UbiSoft, and there is nothing they can do. I just wanted them to read a complaint that would hopefully stop them doing the same in the future.

And it does not take weeks to complete an Assassin's Creed game 100% it takes 24 game Hours, which may be spread out of the course of a few weeks/months - See what you said and what really happened on the amount of time "Lost" is very Very different.

I spent much more then 24 hours on it. It's the GotY edition, so has the extra bits, and I was trying to get all the trophies and see everything I could during it. I explored a lot looking for things, working out puzzles, and re-trying missions, and I'd estimate I've spent something like 50-60 hours on it. Possibly more.

Poodle_of_Doom
02-28-2011, 03:06 PM
And we're all welcome to not feed the flame war anymore, go our seperate ways, and live happily ever after.... Please? For the sake of everyones sanity?

magesupermaster
02-28-2011, 03:22 PM
I spent much more then 24 hours on it. It's the GotY edition, so has the extra bits, and I was trying to get all the trophies and see everything I could during it. I explored a lot looking for things, working out puzzles, and re-trying missions, and I'd estimate I've spent something like 50-60 hours on it. Possibly more.

I got AC2 to 100% in less than 30 hours.
(The DLC only adds about one hour or so..)

Johno_efc
02-28-2011, 03:44 PM
Should have got an Xbox 360......

itsamea-mario
02-28-2011, 03:57 PM
You know OP there's no need to be a n** head about it, you could have just explained the situation clearly.

paulkitching
02-28-2011, 04:14 PM
I was immediately attacked by two people who didn't know what they were talking about, accusing me of things I didn't say, straight after my PS3 had died and I'd lost a save file I couldn't have done anything about.

How would you have reacted?

I only said how annoyed I was and that they should provide a online backup service. I don't see what was wrong with that. Anything else I say was a reply to people who were being annoying, plus a few nice people who understood the problem.

Poodle_of_Doom
02-28-2011, 05:17 PM
I was immediately attacked by two people who didn't know what they were talking about, accusing me of things I didn't say, straight after my PS3 had died and I'd lost a save file I couldn't have done anything about.

How would you have reacted?

I only said how annoyed I was and that they should provide a online backup service. I don't see what was wrong with that. Anything else I say was a reply to people who were being annoying, plus a few nice people who understood the problem.

I say this with a smile on my face, so please take this in stride,... but your not going to get through to these knuckleheads,... okay? Everyone's come off as being a little more harsh than I'm sure they've meant to. It's best to let it be. If you get another response, just leave it alone. I've asked that they not continue with it, yet they insist on doing it anyway. The next best thing would be for you to withdraw from discussing it further. I'm not saying your wrong in any way.... just that it's best to let it end now, and to get out before tempers really start to flare.

itsamea-mario
03-01-2011, 01:22 AM
Well you came on here and one of your first posts was to flame ubi over something they deemed best to implement. you never asked for any support it would seem you just came on here to moan and complain at ubi.

And i do know what you're talking about, I'd completed ACII to like 89% then my ps3 got YLOD so aince i'd never backed up my PS3, ALL my game data was lost, even if i had, i wouldn't be able to salvage ACII.
And do you know what i did?
I saved up until i could get a new PS3, which gave me a chance to re-complete ACII and this time i got 100%.
What i didn't do was come straight onto the forums, flame Ubi in a dead end thread, and then at people for having a go at me.

<span class="ev_code_RED">Please do not bypass the Language Filter.</span>

SmileyRK21
03-01-2011, 06:53 AM
Calling for a mod big time to lock this thread before people start taking this 2 personally.
Hopefully we shall see the flame die out

LaFawn
03-01-2011, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Johno_efc:
Should have got an Xbox 360......

I have an xbox 360 and I can copy the game to my memory stick. So it does sound like the fault is with Sony.

Badger3092
02-24-2013, 07:48 AM
I also want this dam lock or Copy protection taken off this game AC2 since I keep losing my dang save here quite a bit and due to my size HD but don't go telling me to upgrade it do to I can't anyways so that is one reason I want it removed and 2 they shouldn't have save locks or copy protection on any PS3 save that even has them do to it is our save from us playing and saving it and if I want to back up my save, I don't need it locked where I can't copy it to a flash drive when I want to.

It is just not right and just makes the company lose sales do to no one wants they're saves where they can't back them up in case something happens.

I say that it needs to be removed now. I am talking about the save lock or Copy protection, whatever it is. Get rid of it or I will stop buying any games that has it. Period!!!

Thanks,
Brian (Badger3092)

Black_Widow9
02-24-2013, 08:56 AM
I'm going to lock this now.