PDA

View Full Version : While we (US) are waiting...any install tips, warnings??

Oilburner_TAW
10-25-2004, 10:08 PM
Besides backing up skins because they "may" be deleted, is anything else messed with if you install PF over FB/AEP?? Do I need to save my key assignments or will they still work? etc...

Alexi_Alx_Anova
10-26-2004, 01:25 AM
I installed over my pre-existing FB/AEP and then defragmented. I got HORRENDOUS stutter when in combat. The old one to two second pause when a plane gets close to you. I uninstalled everything, defragmented, installed, defragmented and the stutter was gone. If you can stomach it, why not do a clean install;

FB then AEP then 2.01 then 2.04 then PF

Alexi

[Edit] Then go immediately to conf.ini and set water=1 and forget water=2 or water=3 exists in order to avoid massive 'FPS dissapointment'

e5kimo
10-26-2004, 01:31 AM
deinstall, alcohol, clonecd, daemon tools or anything that puts a vitrual cd rom on your system.

BuzzU
10-26-2004, 01:54 AM
You shouldn't defrag after a game is installed.

Alexi_Alx_Anova
10-26-2004, 02:09 AM
Buzz, I was defraging because the FB/AEP/PF path is making sequential modifications to preexisting installs. My logic was to get everything back into their respective folders, etc. as it were. Are you saying it is not a good idea or just not necessary? If it's not a good idea, why would you ever defrag then?

Alexi

F16_Fatboy
10-26-2004, 05:50 AM
Defrag works by moving slabs of data to unused parts of the disk, in order to open up a large free section of space. It then assembles the fragmented parts of a file and writes them in one complete piece to the cleared space; it then does the same with the next file; and so on until the entire disk is defragmented.

The recommended way is to defrag disks before installation but defragging after installation is not a problem and recommended to do when necessary.

FLSTF