PDA

View Full Version : Pefect terrain detail

PACACE
05-15-2006, 12:42 PM
I know that in other games a player has to achieve goals to unlock new items, how do I activate perfect detail option on the settings screen? What do I need in terms of hardware?

Darkbluesky
05-15-2006, 12:58 PM
'Perfect' is only available if you are playing in OpenGL mode, not DirectX. I don't know if this answer your question...

justflyin
05-15-2006, 01:28 PM
You must enable "STENCIL BUFFER" and be using 32-Bit color with OpenGL in setup as well to use Perfect Mode in this game.

Go here: www.airwarfare.com (http://www.airwarfare.com) and peruse the Guides and FAQ sections for this game. You will find a ton of information about setup, flying, bombing...etc.

Troll2k
05-15-2006, 01:29 PM
There are no hidden items to be unlocked in this series.

justflyin
05-15-2006, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Troll2k:

True. The only hidden things to unlock in this game are your hidden talents at being an Ace Virtual Pilot.

major_setback
05-15-2006, 02:53 PM
If you have one of the latest cards you can enable water=1, 2, or even 3 in the conf file in your main FB folder. Also try the arcade mode (change to arcade=1 I think) you'll see all the hits you make as arrows on the enemy planes (also buubbles of speach as in cartoons).
You can also adjust the forrest and effects settings in the conf file (not sure how many levels there are). Open the file using wordpad to edit it.
Go to Lenningrad for suprise town detail! Also visit Kronstadt in the sea just to the west of there (impressive island). Helsinki is worth a visit too.

Bearcat99
05-15-2006, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by justflyin:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Troll2k:

True. The only hidden things to unlock in this game are your hidden talents at being an Ace Virtual Pilot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I beg to differ!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/typing.gif

There are things to unlock in this sim.. it just isnt what is in most sims.... Havent you ever noticed that every time you upgrade (within reason of course.. not a little piddly one but something fairly substantial..) You will either see, hear or experience something new with this sim.... you may find the sky looks different.. the water looks different... the sound is slightly umphier... cocpit seems ..... more out there.. it is smoother.... the traces look different... at least that is the way it has been for me. When I started with this series I was running an XP1600 on a 9000 Pro with a SB16 soundcard and 512M DDR2100.... I can honestly say that even when I went from an XP2500 to a 3200Barton.. I saw a slight difference... in missions with more AI they moved smoother etc.... However.. in light if SOW:BOB..... read the quote from Oleg below.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

vocatx
05-15-2006, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Troll2k:

Ever noticed something missing from EVERY German or Finnish aircraft? Swastika, anyone? Fortunately, it can be enabled by a simple download. Finnish aircaft in particular just don't look right without the proper markings!

actionhank1786
05-15-2006, 11:02 PM
I agree with that, the post war Finnish markings just looked awful.
I had to have the Von Rossen Cross.

Papa_K
05-15-2006, 11:51 PM
To answer the original question - I'm not sure if you got the full answer yet, before the responses rambled on to other subjects:

In conf.ini, under [Render_OpenGL] ensure that HardwareShaders=1 (rather than =0);
or, to do the same thing using il2setup.exe, on the Driver tab, make sure that "Use Stencil Buffer" is checked (this switches the conf.ini setting to HardwareShader=1). This enables the game's "Perfect" setting in Hardware Setup > Video Options > Landscape Detail.

//You can open and edit conf.ini, in the game's main folder, with a text editor, e.g. Notepad.//

Papa_K

justflyin
05-16-2006, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by justflyin:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Troll2k:

True. The only hidden things to unlock in this game are your hidden talents at being an Ace Virtual Pilot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I beg to differ!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/typing.gif

There are things to unlock in this sim.. it just isnt what is in most sims.... Havent you ever noticed that every time you upgrade (within reason of course.. not a little piddly one but something fairly substantial..) You will either see, hear or experience something new with this sim.... you may find the sky looks different.. the water looks different... the sound is slightly umphier... cocpit seems ..... more out there.. it is smoother.... the traces look different... at least that is the way it has been for me. When I started with this series I was running an XP1600 on a 9000 Pro with a SB16 soundcard and 512M DDR2100.... I can honestly say that even when I went from an XP2500 to a 3200Barton.. I saw a slight difference... in missions with more AI they moved smoother etc.... However.. in light if SOW:BOB..... read the quote from Oleg below.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I certainly agree there are features to discover in the game, but I took that part of his question about new items to mean what any gamer would ask. For example, "If I beat X campaign with X plane in under X time, can I unlock any hidden planes or maps or features?"

WTE_Galway
05-16-2006, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by vocatx:

Ever noticed something missing from EVERY German or Finnish aircraft? Swastika, anyone? Fortunately, it can be enabled by a simple download. Finnish aircaft in particular just don't look right without the proper markings! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually the "in game" hakenkruez are too large and both LW and Finish swastika look pretty awful even when enabled .. far too bright and "new"

a better option is to download and install an amazing program called "Il2 mat" which transforms the in game markings giving correct (rather than oversized sized) swastika's, year specific marking variations and enables weathered markings which look much much more realistic

http://www.leigh-kemp.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/109_MAT_Manager_Markings_Example_ani.gif

you can find it here
http://www.leigh-kemp.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/MATfiles.htm

PACACE
05-17-2006, 10:47 AM
Thanks for all the response. I did get a functional answer. The answer is one must use OpenGL instead of DirectX to access Perfect detail as a option. I never would have just tried to do this mostly because I gave up on OpenGL. Without selecting Perfect Detail the OpenGl driver has a fine mesh appereance on objects. However with Perfect Detail selected I can see my targets farther away and I recommend it if your system can handle it. Are there any other suggestions?

WTE_Galway
05-17-2006, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by PACACE:
Thanks for all the response. I did get a functional answer. The answer is one must use OpenGL instead of DirectX to access Perfect detail as a option. I never would have just tried to do this mostly because I gave up on OpenGL. Without selecting Perfect Detail the OpenGl driver has a fine mesh appereance on objects. However with Perfect Detail selected I can see my targets farther away and I recommend it if your system can handle it. Are there any other suggestions?

you can turn on new clouds in the config as well

PACACE
05-18-2006, 11:57 AM
How do I do that? My clouds are pretty awesome, and annoying, already. What more could there be? Where is the config, in the folders? I hate to just try stuff w/o caution. Your response will be appreciated. You know what, while I was typing this I partially depressed that damn windows button, god thats really nailed me a few times.

justflyin
05-18-2006, 01:43 PM
From the link I posted for you above to www.airwarfare.com (http://www.airwarfare.com) :

"New clouds were introduced in patch 4.0. New clouds are the default but do have a FPS hit on low end systems. In order to change them you must manually edit the conf.ini file located in your main game folder before launching the game.

Open the file with a text editor, locate the [game] section and add TypeClouds= write in either 0 or 1, then save the file.

TypeClouds=0 - old clouds
TypeClouds=1 - new clouds

Note:
When playing online the player will see the cloud type set by the server, and not as individually set in their conf.ini. This is done to ensure all players see the same tactical situation in the air regardless of their settings."

You really need to go there and read the FAQ and Guides sections. They will answer many of your initial questions. Then, if you get stuck, you can always ask us for more information. Just FYI, of course.