PDA

View Full Version : pc.IGN.com SILENT HUNTER III Review!!!

Copperhead_SG
03-19-2005, 12:32 AM
http://pc.ign.com/articles/596/596816p1.html

Closing Comments
Silent Hunter III was definitely worth the wait. The campaign is fantastic and the overall presentation is a sim fan's dream. While most sims tend to focus on detail for detail's sake, Silent Hunter III puts the obscure procedures involved in running a U-boat into an instantly engaging context. Sure, there are down times and, sure, the work of running a U-boat is sometimes tedious but the overall excitement of stalking and sinking a target and then sneaking away is very clear here. The cinematic moments are simply thrilling. It sure doesn't hurt that the game looks fantastic.

Since the PC catalog can't support multiple submarine sims, fans have had to take what they could get. Sometimes this meant settling for a relatively uninspired title. Silent Hunter III definitely makes up for the lean years. It also sets the bar very high for Silent Hunter IV.

Admiral_Donitz
03-19-2005, 03:50 AM
Great review. Can't wait to play this game.
A pac expansion would be cool - Monsun boats operating in the Indian and Pacific. I wouldn't mind playing as an allied sub commander against the Japanese Navy either.

Axel40
03-19-2005, 03:58 AM
Great review from a mainstream game site. I really don't think anyone can be to dissapointed from that score.

From the review...

One cinematic moment that's notable in its absence is the implosion of your own submarine. At some point you'll have taken so much damage that you just keep sinking lower and lower. Watching the depth meter drop and listening to the creak of the hull around you is a very unsettling experience but it's kind of ruined when the game suddenly switches to a failure screen. Morbid as it sounds, I'd really love the sub crush under the weight."

I want that to, no big deal but it's just more fun than a game over screen http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Axel