PDA

View Full Version : Currious ABout Scaling?

II_JG1Hartmann
10-09-2004, 03:31 PM
I have seen several pics of the planes on the carriers and I was wondering if scale is correct? The Yorktown and other carriers of the class could fit three aircraft across the beam while in transit and wings folded. Int eh simulation pictures I've seen, it looks more like Battlefield 1942 and CFS2 where the carriers width was about the same as the plane and you had to worry about hitting your wing on landing or takeoff. Looking at the latest releases of screen shots from inside the cockpit, it appears as though the scale is off from that view but might be ok on teh outside view since these are different scaling code lines.

Can any developers or beta testers take a shot of the planes lined up in a similiar fashion and verify?

noshens
10-09-2004, 06:11 PM
It is easy to do proper scaling when making 3d models, I don't see why would developers do wrong scaling.

Fennec_P
10-09-2004, 06:16 PM
The ships are definitely in proper scale. It is one of the requirements for submitting them.

You can verify this yourself in the FMB with existing ships.

I have looked at some tanks in the FMB, and though some of them are off by a meter or two, they are all generally the right size as well.

Some buildings however are not to the proper scale. I heard someone say the Reichstag is less than 3/4 of its real size.

This might be due to difficulty in finding measurements for buildings. For ships and airplanes, finding measurements is easy.

II_JG1Hartmann
10-09-2004, 09:17 PM
Lots of easy and shoulds but no mention of YES or NO. We could get into the long debate of that beam on the 190 with a woulda shoulda coulda.

As i said from the outside view it may look right but all the inside views look to me like teh scale is wrong. The carriers are to small it seems..

SaQSoN
10-10-2004, 01:11 AM
Yeah, you're right. It seems. This is the key to your question.

Fliger747
10-10-2004, 04:17 AM
The wingspan of a F4U is about 41 ft. Centered on the deck of an Essex one should have about 25 feet or so on each side clearance depending where on deck (a lot less by the island). At sea the 'boat' or any ship looks pretty darn small, evem from 1000'feet or less!

So two Corsairs, side by side, with a little extra left over is about right.

II_JG1Hartmann
10-10-2004, 10:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SaQSoN:
Yeah, you're right. It _seems_. This is the key to your question. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I guess I should be bowing to the PF gods to get a response worthy of here?

mseraser
10-10-2004, 10:34 AM
I thought check-six video chould give you the answer.

Just Watch the SBD,P80 and zero takeoff videos,there is ESSEX class carrier and both inside outside views.

They are in corret Scale IMO.

SaQSoN
10-10-2004, 10:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I guess I should be bowing to the PF gods to get a response worthy of here? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Eh... Some people are... er... really slow thinking... to say at least. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The planes and ships and buildings in the PF are made in the freaking same scale, millimeter to millimeter, no matter what do you seem.

Got it now? Clear enough, huh?

LStarosta
10-10-2004, 01:50 PM
Hartmann, will you please stop being so full of yourself?

JG7_Rall
10-10-2004, 02:20 PM
Hartmann, just remember what classes of carriers you're comparing.

Edit-to elaborate, the screenshots of the corsairs or hellcats are posted on the older carriers (yorktown class? is that even a class?) but the ones we're used to seeing are the essex class carriers.