PDA

View Full Version : Me vs Spit in discovery chanel once again

zugfuhrer
10-14-2004, 03:32 PM
I saw a comparison of the SpitII vs Me109e. They compared among many other things, the .303 MG with a 20mm automatic cannon.

The difference was significant although the test didnt show the full advantage of HE-shells. The effect inside the target wasnt evaluated.

An old Spit-ace said that he thought that the MG:s of the spit was much inferior to the 20mm.
He said that one or two hits of the 20mm was enough to make the pilot decide between to ditch or jump. This was a man who got a real experience of WWII dogfigh.

He also emphasized that the Merlin died under negative G-force and this was used by skilled LW pilots to get rid of spits on their 6.

The advantages of the spitfire was the speed at 5000m, the forgiving flight-characteristics, and the ability to curve inside the enemy and the good visibility.

One thing that isnt fully evaluated in IL2 is the cramped cockpit of the Me109. The pilot cant fly for a long period without beeing exhausted.

zugfuhrer
10-14-2004, 03:32 PM
I saw a comparison of the SpitII vs Me109e. They compared among many other things, the .303 MG with a 20mm automatic cannon.

The difference was significant although the test didnt show the full advantage of HE-shells. The effect inside the target wasnt evaluated.

An old Spit-ace said that he thought that the MG:s of the spit was much inferior to the 20mm.
He said that one or two hits of the 20mm was enough to make the pilot decide between to ditch or jump. This was a man who got a real experience of WWII dogfigh.

He also emphasized that the Merlin died under negative G-force and this was used by skilled LW pilots to get rid of spits on their 6.

The advantages of the spitfire was the speed at 5000m, the forgiving flight-characteristics, and the ability to curve inside the enemy and the good visibility.

One thing that isnt fully evaluated in IL2 is the cramped cockpit of the Me109. The pilot cant fly for a long period without beeing exhausted.

FI-Aflak
10-14-2004, 03:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by zugfuhrer:

One thing that isnt fully evaluated in IL2 is the cramped cockpit of the Me109. The pilot cant fly for a long period without beeing exhausted. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but its hard to get exhausted with the tiny endurance that the Me-109 had. They had to make the american cockpits big and comfortable . . . the pilots actually went somewhere when they flew.