PDA

View Full Version : Wildcat vs. Zero - need some advice

Jasko76
02-07-2005, 08:39 AM
I've started playing a USMC campaign and have found it very difficult to stay alive and complete a mission. My "intelligent" buddies get all shot down in a couple of seconds and live me fighting 3-4 Zeros alone, which is VERY difficult. I always try to have some altitude before entering a fight, but a few turns later we're on the deck and one of the Zeroes always manages to turn inside me and hasta la vista, baby! I can't outfly them, I can't outclimb them, I can't outmaneuver them. And worst of all, I can't count on my wingmen as real USN/USMC pilots did. How can I improve my odds?
I've never felt so helpless in a fight as when facing several Zeroes in a Wildcat.

Thanks!

Jasko76
02-07-2005, 08:39 AM
I've started playing a USMC campaign and have found it very difficult to stay alive and complete a mission. My "intelligent" buddies get all shot down in a couple of seconds and live me fighting 3-4 Zeros alone, which is VERY difficult. I always try to have some altitude before entering a fight, but a few turns later we're on the deck and one of the Zeroes always manages to turn inside me and hasta la vista, baby! I can't outfly them, I can't outclimb them, I can't outmaneuver them. And worst of all, I can't count on my wingmen as real USN/USMC pilots did. How can I improve my odds?
I've never felt so helpless in a fight as when facing several Zeroes in a Wildcat.

Thanks!

Dammerung
02-07-2005, 09:59 AM
AI Zeros are the TRUE UFOs...

FatBoyHK
02-07-2005, 10:26 AM
try gental vertical maneuver instead of tight hortzional maneuver, and also try to keep your speed high http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Tooz_69GIAP
02-07-2005, 10:29 AM
Wildcat can outrun a zero on the deck in game, but only just. Keep your speed high, and if you get into trouble, just go home at full speed.

Jasko76
02-07-2005, 10:31 AM
Vertical maneuvers turn me into a sitting duck as Zero can handily outclimb the Wildcat. I'm well aware that Z&B is the only working tactic here.

Jasko76
02-07-2005, 10:34 AM
Tooz

i have no problem in 1vs1 combat, but when I meet a pack of Zeroes, I'm dead meat. When facing, say 4 Yaks in a Bf 109, I know exactly what to do and how exploit Bf 109's advantage. But Wildcat is just so... darn "unter"! I'm much more confident in a Buffalo!

FatBoyHK
02-07-2005, 11:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jasko76:
Vertical maneuvers turn me into a sitting duck as Zero can handily outclimb the Wildcat. I'm well aware that Z&B is the only working tactic here. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

this is why I put "gental" and "high speed" as the KEY words. You must keep you energy..... Especially when the dive speed of the Wildcat isn't modeilled correctly in the current version (AFAIK)

Jumoschwanz
02-07-2005, 11:57 AM
This is a tough one.

Set yourself up in the QMB against four zeros and practice. The only advantage the Wildcat has in this sim is a little bit of a top speed advantage.

IF you can start out with some kind of alt or speed advantage and make a pass, what you do after the pass is important. Since the zero climbs so well they will catch you in a few passes and negate the edge you started with.

When you can make a good pass at top speed go vertical very smoothly so as not to waste any E skidding and making vapor trails with your wingtips. Maybe you can do this once or twice before they eat away your advantage. When you see them gaining the only thing to do is dive to just your maximum speed then level out and hold it. IF level out when you are slow the Zero will gain as it has better acceleration.

I read an article on zeroes that someone posted on this forum, plus I read God is my Co-Pilot, and it seems like the Zeroes in this sim dive too well. The article said thier wings would come off at very low speeds in a dive.

And the flying tigers could get away and break off from zeroes by diving away. IN this sim it is not easy at all to get away from a zero by diving. The AI zero will stay on your tail and follow you right down.

So not much help here except the old saying "never from below, seldom from level, always from above". And if you have to run away an go home, at least you will keep your campaign pilot alive for the next mission. If you keep running into zeroes at the altitude they tell you to fly the mission at just say to he11 with that and go one or two kilometers higher than you have been.

Good luck,

Jumoschwanz

SithSpeeder
02-07-2005, 12:15 PM
I think I may be trying to get through the same campaign as you.

My advice is to be much more careful in the sense of only enter a fight with superior E, which practically means enter the fight at superior altitude by at *least* 1000 meters (preferably more like 2000+ meters). If this is seemingly unattainable (like when flying a scramble to protect your base), I have found that flying away from the apparent mission objective (of protecting your base) to gain this altitude is key. Furthermore, when your base is under attack, always know exactly where the zeroes are and pounce on them where possible--otherwise, they come back to haunt you. Boom and zoom with gunnery being key, using very short bursts at very close range (conserve ammo...it doesn't take much to take them down or wound them to the point where they give up the fight). I stall fight with my Wildcat because the AI can't counter that tactic when I do have the altitude/E advantage. Always go after the highest bandits--never pursue down to the deck or a wounded foe unless you have the altitude advantage over all the bandits.

The other important thing is to control your squadron and wingmen well by using the in-game commands to them. For example, when attaining superior altitude, the other elements of your flight or squad may break from your formation to attack the fighters that they just spotted (but that you may have spotted earlier). You have to give them the immediate command to "return to formation"--I have found that if you don't do this, they go diving into the fight, rapidly getting themselves on the defensive, then getting killed, leaving an unfavorable balance to YOU surviving as well. Once _I_ am in my favorable attack position (greater than 1000m above the zeroes), then I give the command to my flight to attack the fighters specifically. Then, between the two of us (me and my wingie plus #3 and his wingie (#4)), we can usually maintain the advantage. If you are in control of another full flight of four, the same applies...keep them with you until *everyone* is an advantageous position--then order the attack. Stay close enough to your flight to provide mutual support, however.

Lastly, gunnery is extremely important. You have to understand your gunsite and how to use it for deflection shooting. This will allow you to use your ammo wisely and get a lot of kills before crying 'Winchester!'. I almost never run out.

Online, the E advice will not work as well--real people usually won't get suckered into this as easily. But overall, I think the advice is still applicable. You can't turnfight with a zero and being co-E is a losing situation unless you can fly a Thatch-Weave with your wingman (which is beyond the current scope of friendly AI).

Hope that helps.

* _54th_Speeder *

PBNA-Boosher
02-07-2005, 12:20 PM
The trick, quite unfortunately, is to get the Zekes on your tail and let your AI buddies shoot em off. Your job, besides dragging the bandits for your AI wingies, is to look for any Zekes not tailing you and to use your .50's in quick bursts to damage them as badly as possible in 1 pass. If you can damage the Zekes badly enough, it'll take them out of the fight. It normally shouldn't take that many hits. Remember that the more you put out of fighting condition at first, the less evasive maneuvering you have to do later. Although sometimes this isn't the case. I've flamed and smoked Zekes and 109's before, and sometimes they just keep chasing you, being the determined enemy they are. When that happens use your plane carefully. Do not underestimate a damaged, angry foe.

Jasko76
02-07-2005, 02:18 PM
Thanks guys! I think I understand tactics a little better now.

Pitty that Zeros are über while friendly AI are morons in this sim, it shifts the ballance. As far as I understand it, the key elements in fighting Zero with a Wildcat, historically, was teamwork (negated by dumb wingmen) and ability to outdive your opponent (negated by souped up A6Ms in this sim). Plus it's hard to surprise AI enemy with their spider sense.

I guess I have to work harder to overcome these shortcommings (and my own as well http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif)

Thanks again!

Jumoschwanz
02-07-2005, 08:54 PM
Here is a feature of the AI foes that can be exploited fairly easily to get you out of a jam.

First, know the minimun alt your aircraft can perform a split S manuever in.

If you have a determined enemy formation on your tail get down to the deck. If you do a smooth split S at 1000 meters or lower, and turn back at them they will not be able to execute it anywhere near as smoothly as you will be able to with a bit of practice. Some or all of them will break off your six, and the ones that do half-a$$ hang on will lose ground and E.

THe lower you are, the better, and the smoother you are the better, as you will actually gain a lot of speed doing this and they will usually not gain any E and even lose some.

I like to roll upside down and use up all the alt I can coming out just over the treetops, then smoothly climb at 45 degrees for a short distance and either level out and do it again, or if I gain enough going vertical and hammerheading down on one of them.

This will open up opportunities for some good near-head-on shots too.

Practice in the QMB and you will find this works well.

Jumoschwanz

Badsight.
02-07-2005, 10:34 PM
top-speed is useless if you get out accelerated

& the AI puts up the hardest fight nearly when they are in a Zero

Wallstein
02-09-2005, 01:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jasko76:
...I can't outfly them, I can't outclimb them, I can't outmaneuver them. And worst of all, I can't count on my wingmen as real USN/USMC pilots did. How can I improve my odds?

Thanks! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did not rea what all of the other pals wrote above, but I tell you what I have found out. We are talking about offline, not online -gaming, right?

Keep your speed up. You can do it with a wildcat and it should not be a difficult thing to do. Dive away and make it to the sealevel. As the Zeros follow you to the sealevel, you can rather easily leave them there by climbing and in every case climbing faster than the Zeroes.

Soon as you have managed to get the Zeroes down and yourself high, you are in a much better situation for to dominate the combat. I don´t know what differences the latest patch brought within related to the AI, but if the AI works in general as it used to do, you should not have any problems in getting to a dominating position with a wildcat against the Zeros.

Wallstein