PDA

View Full Version : So, yeahh....What about Altairs voice?

AronAssassin68
05-08-2011, 02:17 PM
Im sure everyone remembers how Altair had an American accent, which most people didn't like. Now on one side, I would love to hear him have his real voice but it also bugs me little somehow. It would be sort of wrong to change it however it was already really wrong in de first place. So what do you think: Take 1 for the team and give him a voice with a middle-eastern accent, or stay completely loyal to the series and keep it the way it was?

phil.llllll
05-08-2011, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by AronAssassin68:
Im sure everyone remembers how Altair had an American accent, which most people didn't like. Now on one side, I would love to hear him have his real voice but it also bugs me little somehow. It would be sort of wrong to change it however it was already really wrong in de first place. So what do you think: Take 1 for the team and give him a voice with a middle-eastern accent, or stay completely loyal to the series and keep it the way it was?

I'm pretty sure there was already a topic like this but anyway, I'm all for keeping it the same.

itsamea-mario
05-08-2011, 02:26 PM
I don't mind his voice.
It certainly beats the one he had in bloodlines.

dchil279
05-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by AronAssassin68:
Altair had an american "accent" because the Animus 1.0 was translating for the templars to easily understand. For all we know, if we were watching Ezio in the 1.0 they might have had american accents too.

What I'm basicaly saying is that this is the first time we will be playing as ALtair IN the Animus 2.0, so why couldn't it be different?

phil.llllll
05-08-2011, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by dchil279:
Altair had an american "accent" because the Animus 1.0 was translating for the templars to easily understand. For all we know, if we were watching Ezio in the 1.0 they might have had american accents too.

The animus translates speech but you made up the part about the accent. That's actually never mentioned at all.

crash3
05-08-2011, 02:43 PM
i think ltairs voice should be middle eastern-it would be so cool to hear altair say "REQUIESCAT IN PACE" in arabic to his victims and also hear the odd bit of arabic like we heard some italian with ezio, i think it enriches the experience of playing as them

itsamea-mario
05-08-2011, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by crash3:
i think ltairs voice should be middle eastern-it would be so cool to hear altair say "REQUIESCAT IN PACE" in arabic to his victims and also hear the odd bit of arabic like we heard some italian with ezio, i think it enriches the experience of playing as them

Why would he say that? surely he'd say it in arabic, he's no reason to speak latin.

And personally i don't think the arabic accent sounds particularly 'nice'.

GunnarGunderson
05-08-2011, 02:54 PM
I didn't care for his voice in Bloodlines, but what's wrong with giving him a different voice with a middle eastern accent

phil.llllll
05-08-2011, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by BradKinn:
I didn't care for his voice in Bloodlines, but what's wrong with giving him a different voice with a middle eastern accent

Nothing really except that there's no point.

ghostferret
05-08-2011, 03:01 PM
I hated Altair's American accent. If they had Oded Fehr (The Mummy, Sleeper Cell, Resident Evil, Dr. Strange) voice-act for Altair, it would be perfect. One can dream.

wiccanlovely
05-08-2011, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by ghostferret:
I hated Altair's American accent. If they had Oded Fehr (The Mummy, Sleeper Cell, Resident Evil, Dr. Strange) voice-act for Altair, it would be perfect. One can dream.

You've made my little heart jump with joy at the idea http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif I really wish it could happen...

As for the actual subject of Altair's voice, I winced every time Altair said something in AC1. It just annoyed me that everyone around him had the correct accent and yet he had an American accent, it felt jarring. I didn't really care for his voice in Bloodlines either because it felt...off.

I dunno, I want him to have an accent but they need to find the right voice.

iN3krO
05-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by wiccanlovely:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ghostferret:

You've made my little heart jump with joy at the idea http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif I really wish it could happen...

As for the actual subject of Altair's voice, I winced every time Altair said something in AC1. It just annoyed me that everyone around him had the correct accent and yet he had an American accent, it felt jarring. I didn't really care for his voice in Bloodlines either because it felt...off.

I dunno, I want him to have an accent but they need to find the right voice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well it's the same for me.....i will just use the spanish voices xD

LaCava1
05-08-2011, 04:02 PM
I have a great idea. Have Philip Shahbaz do it! He would do it really well, he fits Altair's voice in my book.

phil.llllll
05-08-2011, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by triforceman5:
I have a great idea. Have Philip Shahbaz do it! He would do it really well, he fits Altair's voice in my book.

I agree with this. He just has this certain Altairness about him that no one else does. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

ShaneO7K
05-09-2011, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by phil.llllll:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by triforceman5:

I agree with this. He just has this certain Altairness about him that no one else does. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE> He did a great job in AC1, his voice suited the role except for not having the arab accent. Though to be totally honest I prefer his voice the way it is. I would be disappointed if they were to change his voice actor.

And to the people saying Altair only had an american accent because of the animus 1.0. We were told in AC1 that the animus would only translate voice to english not the accents. There are countless examples of people we meet in the streets to the main characters that still have the arab accents.

But to somethings up, yeah I want thim to have the same voice. It may make sense to change his accent for realism, but it wouldn't make sense it terms of the story if his voice was changed.
And his voice actor plays Altair perfectly, his voice is generally perfect for Altair.

ChaosxNetwork
05-09-2011, 09:58 AM
He had an American accent? Ha never noticed it I guess.

FrankieSatt
05-09-2011, 10:44 AM
Who cares? Since we all know it's not real, it's Desmond in the Animus, what difference does it make about the accent? If it weren't for Desmond's story line you might have a point, but since everything in the Animus isn't real than I see no problem with whatever voice they decide to use.

Not that big a deal.

wabashop2011
05-09-2011, 11:02 AM
@ FrankieSatt
Everything in the Animus is real, recollection of past.
What do you mean it's not real? Got me a little confused.

ChaosxNetwork
05-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by wabashop2011:
@ FrankieSatt
Well besides the fact that you speak/listen in English not Italian ect.
Also the fact that you play/do things in a random order possibly different to what Altair/Ezio did. Hence the 100% sync in AC:B

wabashop2011
05-09-2011, 11:06 AM
^ That makes sense, thanks for clearing up.

Ureh
05-09-2011, 02:02 PM
I'm voting for the original voice actor from AC1. His voice is Altair's voice. I think it totally syncs with Altair's attitude, behavior, and actions.

FrankieSatt
05-09-2011, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by xHITx_Chaos:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wabashop2011:
@ FrankieSatt
Well besides the fact that you speak/listen in English not Italian ect.
Also the fact that you play/do things in a random order possibly different to what Altair/Ezio did. Hence the 100% sync in AC:B </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for clearing that up for me, all that is true and part of my reasoning. Another part is that we are talking about "Dreams" basicly while in the Animus. Sure you have the bleeding affect, but it's still just memories and dreams and not anything that is happening currenly, but something that happened in the past.

Desmond is using a machine to access those memories so it doesn't matter if the people in the memories have an accent or not. It doesn't matter if the people voicing those memories are different or not. The only thing that matters is that Desmond, Lucy, and the others have the same voices.

General_Lekauf
05-09-2011, 09:49 PM
Keep the same voice actor. It just wouldnt be Atiar with a different voice. Image how many people would have flipped if Ezios voice had been changed between AC2 and Brotherhood. The characters already made changing the voice actor would be a stupid move on Ubisofts part.

RobinJoo
05-10-2011, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by General_Lekauf:
Keep the same voice actor. It just wouldnt be Atiar with a different voice. Image how many people would have flipped if Ezios voice had been changed between AC2 and Brotherhood. The characters already made changing the voice actor would be a stupid move on Ubisofts part.

I agree with him http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

mornegroth
05-10-2011, 09:34 AM
Ubi done it once with the SOT Trilogy, so we never know what the future can bring.
But I hope they keep the same VA for Alta´r. American accent or not, I don't care, just keep him there.

KZarr
05-11-2011, 04:29 AM
I hope they keep the same voice actor from AC1 (Philip Shahbaz). Altair's voice was horrible in AC: Bloodlines

DavidPV86
05-11-2011, 08:44 AM
Same actor, but with more middle east accent!!

Bruno_Berg
05-13-2011, 12:11 PM
"His American voice in Assassin's Creed, completely different from everyone else's, was intentionally done. The reason for this has not been stated by Ubisoft."
From the Assassin's Creed wikia.

xsatanicjokerx
05-13-2011, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Bruno_Berg:
"His American voice in Assassin's Creed, completely different from everyone else's, was intentionally done. The reason for this has not been stated by Ubisoft."
From the Assassin's Creed wikia.
link?

kriegerdesgottes
05-13-2011, 08:36 PM
I have to say I don't mind his original voice. On movies foreign people have american accents all the time and Romans always seem to be british for some reason. Also Bloodlines kinda threw me off with that voice actor because I understand they want to make it more authentic or whatever but I am way too used to his voice from the 1st game.

Bruno_Berg
05-14-2011, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by xsatanicjokerx:
link?
http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Alta%C3%AFr
It's down in the Trivia section.
I don't have any source for where it originally came from.

Super_Sausage
05-15-2011, 05:39 AM
It would be nice to hear him with a Middle Eastern accent, but it could end up just sounding like a mock. I don't really mind but they should at least put some Arabic in like the Italian in AC 2 and B.
As for Ubi doing the American voice on purpose, maybe there's more about Altair that is yet to be revealed? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

ShaneO7K
05-15-2011, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by Super_Sausage:
It would be nice to hear him with a Middle Eastern accent, but it could end up just sounding like a mock. I don't really mind but they should at least put some Arabic in like the Italian in AC 2 and B.
As for Ubi doing the American voice on purpose, maybe there's more about Altair that is yet to be revealed? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif I'm actually intrested in seeing what the reason for his voice is now.

As for the small parts in arabic, that would be cool. But I THINK Rebecca said in AC2 that the parts in italian were glitches in the Animus 2.0, if that is what she said it will probably be gone in this one as it shows on the reveal thing "Animus 2.04" or something like that so this animus may not have it anymore.

Super_Sausage
05-15-2011, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by dead_gunner187:
As for the small parts in arabic, that would be cool. But I THINK Rebecca said in AC2 that the parts in italian were glitches in the Animus 2.0, if that is what she said it will probably be gone in this one as it shows on the reveal thing "Animus 2.04" or something like that so this animus may not have it anymore.
Was it not a problem with the translation software? I dunno, they didn't change it for Brotherhood so I doubt they would change it for Revelations. I see a problem with Ezio viewing Altair's memories though - he doesn't speak Arabic, and he doesn't have an Animus to translate for him.

ShaneO7K
05-15-2011, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by Super_Sausage:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dead_gunner187:
Was it not a problem with the translation software? I dunno, they didn't change it for Brotherhood so I doubt they would change it for Revelations. I see a problem with Ezio viewing Altair's memories though - he doesn't speak Arabic, and he doesn't have an Animus to translate for him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It was the same Animus in AC2 and ACB, this one should be new from what the teaser video shows.
The Altair memories thing is true what you're saying but I think for purposes of keeping things simple they will stay in english.

But wouldn't it still translate to english if it's still in Ezio's memories?

Bruno_Berg
05-15-2011, 07:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Super_Sausage:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dead_gunner187:
Was it not a problem with the translation software? I dunno, they didn't change it for Brotherhood so I doubt they would change it for Revelations. I see a problem with Ezio viewing Altair's memories though - he doesn't speak Arabic, and he doesn't have an Animus to translate for him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It was the same Animus in AC2 and ACB, this one should be new from what the teaser video shows.
The Altair memories thing is true what you're saying but I think for purposes of keeping things simple they will stay in english.

But wouldn't it still translate to english if it's still in Ezio's memories? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, to us it shouldn't make a difference since we'd see Alta´r's memories through Ezio's memories through the animus, so I suppose it should translate. Ezio shouldn't be able to understand it though.

ShaneO7K
05-15-2011, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by Bruno_Berg:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Super_Sausage:

But wouldn't it still translate to english if it's still in Ezio's memories? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, to us it shouldn't make a difference since we'd see Alta´r's memories through Ezio's memories through the animus, so I suppose it should translate. Ezio shouldn't be able to understand it though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Maybe since the seals were made by TWCB they translate into the language of the holder?

It's a reasonable explanation if he was to understand it.

Super_Sausage
05-15-2011, 08:09 AM

I see what you mean, but if the translation problems were all fixed, then we won't hear any Itlaian in the game either, and I doubt Ubi would change that after two games with bits if Italian. Didn't Rebecca say something about leaving it in because it sounded nice?

Mic_92
05-15-2011, 11:51 AM
He'll probably have the same voice he had in Bloodlines or a similar one.

E-Zekiel
05-15-2011, 01:21 PM
I had no problem with Altair's voice. Especially since he was voiced by a man of Iranian background. And Al-Mualim was voiced by a white guy. I liked it how it was.

Originally posted by daniel_gervide:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wiccanlovely:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ghostferret:

I dunno, I want him to have an accent but they need to find the right voice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well it's the same for me.....i will just use the spanish voices xD </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I seem fine with this, a voice like that guy's. But....how is that much different than his AC1 voice? I would even say they are extremely similar. o_O

scope2005
05-15-2011, 03:08 PM
For the sake of continuity I am all for keeping the original Altair voice. I think when you mess with a characters voice actor, sometimes the character itself seems too different and that AC1 authenticity and nostalgia may be lost.

Looking back I do think it rather strange that there are many assassin's with Arabic Accent's, but altair's is a very neutral american english... even though he is Syrian.

At the time, the dev's probably didn't want him to appear too middle eastern, or too european as he had to blend into cities which are of both styles.

If he had a very strong american accent lke a hillbilly or a new-yorker - then yeah I could see how that would grate up against people. But as he is, I think his accent could represent any given nationality translated to english.

E-Zekiel
05-15-2011, 09:39 PM
His voice isn't changing.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1717255/

I for one am very happy about this. I thought Altair had a cool voice.

phil.llllll
05-15-2011, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by E-Zekiel:
His voice isn't changing.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1717255/

I for one am very happy about this. I thought Altair had a cool voice.

Thanks for the heads-up! I am also VERY HAPPY about this! Awesome news.

freeze131
05-15-2011, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by itsamea-mario:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by crash3:
Requiescat in pace is actually latin for "rest in peace" if I recall correctly, Italian is Riposi in Pace. So it's not entirely out of the question for Altair to say Requiescat in Pace.
Why would he say that? surely he'd say it in arabic, he's no reason to speak latin.

And personally i don't think the arabic accent sounds particularly 'nice'. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>