PDA

View Full Version : The Evolution of a pilot

Bull_dog_
02-15-2005, 05:16 PM
I start flying online about a year and half ago and have been flying offline since 2000 and it is my dominant winter/in the house hobby....only fishing do I have a greater passion for.

I never, in my wildest dreams, knew there was so much to combat manuevering and tactics. I remember getting online the first time and fighting this guy name viper something or another...I flew the La7 of course! and I actually shot him down a couple of times and he shot me down several times in one on one competion.

I flew Yaks and La's to begin with but noticed how Fw pilots were racking up big numbers. I tried them and stunk the place up. I tried 109's and that was an exercise in futility. I engaged in turning fights and learned it wasn't healthy to be flying alone. Eventually Ace expansion pack arrived and I was flying Mustangs and more Jugs... I kept climbing to high altitude only to be shot down by those redwulf guys or AFJ guys...very aggrevation I might add. It was obvious they knew something I didn't. I tried to climb with a 109K in my 109K and got left in the dust..."how the heck did that happen" I asked myself.

Tactically speaking, I figured the game out pretty quick. I realized that if I were patient and understood what was going on from a furball standpoint I could put myself in a postion to score kills. Early on, with my offline experience and patience, I did ok. If I was patient and I entered the fray above the enemy I could stay alive longer and kill more enemies longer...until someone got above me, I ran out of energy, or I ran out of luck.

I flew the Jug alot before it was good but I kept hearing people talk about energy tactics and angles fighting...I knew what T&B was and B&Z but those other things were alien to me. I knew that I had maybe one or two dives in a Jug and I had to abandon the area lest I become someone elses statistic.

I plodded along complaing with the rest that La's were uber, Fw's were porked, mk108 rocked and .50's were p-shooters (they still are http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif) like the rest of the guys. I kept reading "its the pilot not the plane" stuff.

One day I asked the question "i read about high speed turning advantage vs. low speed turning advantage but I don't understand how I take advantage of a plane with a high speed turn advantage?" I like Mustangs...and they were ok but I was trying to emulate tactics and couldn't find the success I want.

I was replied to by a fellow who pointed me towards a video and explained in detail what energy tactics were and what they looked like. I watched the video and began to bench test aircraft on my own noting performance differences. I discovered IL2 compare too...and this really helped!

With some practice I began to understand energy. I began to understand angles. I began to understand the performance envelopes of different aircraft and how to exploit them. I made plenty of mistakes in judging other aircraft's energy potential and to this day I still have problems with aircraft that I don't understand their capabilities but over time my eye for energy got better and better. I came to the conclusion that whoever entered the battle with an energy advantage was most likely to win.

In combination with this, my gunnery is improving. I am not excitable so when I track a target, I do so with a steady hand. I bought a Saitek X-45 and learned how to adjust my aim with a rudder. I can now score kills on bogeys with HMG's much better. I learn how to avoid head ons and how to turn into an aircraft so as negate an attack or minimize my exposure, I understand how to get the most out of high speed handling or low speed handling...the world opened up before my eyes and the game slowed down. I learned how to survive longer if a bandit is on my six, I learned how to scissors, and I learned teamspeak and teamwork most importantly. I read Shaw's book on combat tactics and manuevering.

Now I fly my Fw with confidence, I kill La's repeatedly when I'm in my performance envelope, I am able to turn the tables on occasion when I enter a fight at a disadvantage. I kill with HMG's now and I understand that my engine wont quit everytime the overheat light comes on. I now fly German aircraft much more but still like Mustangs, spits and jugs. I tend to dread flying those low altitude turning aircraft and no longer fear them. It is now fun to draw two or three La's up to about 5 or 6000 meteres and systematically dismantle them and lose of course, but not so much as I win. I know that there will always be someone better than me but I can always aspire to be that pilot.

I still won't go so far as to say it is the pilot not the plane because if that were true I'd be able to fly my I-16 against Dora's and win and I can't unless i'm lucky and frankly speaking neither can anyone else but I will say all things being equal or close to equal...at least the aircraft fighting have certain advantages and disadvantages, pilot skill usually determines the outcome. And more importantly, pilot tactics!

I say this because if you say this aircraft is uber or that one is porked...imho there are a couple in both catagories, but by and large the majority of the aircraft have both advantages and disadvantages and if you understand these and can manipulate the engagement you will win most of the time.

Something for newer players to look forward to and I am certain there is tons more to learn...I think I just got a look at the tip of the iceberg.

Bull_dog_
02-15-2005, 05:16 PM
I start flying online about a year and half ago and have been flying offline since 2000 and it is my dominant winter/in the house hobby....only fishing do I have a greater passion for.

I never, in my wildest dreams, knew there was so much to combat manuevering and tactics. I remember getting online the first time and fighting this guy name viper something or another...I flew the La7 of course! and I actually shot him down a couple of times and he shot me down several times in one on one competion.

I flew Yaks and La's to begin with but noticed how Fw pilots were racking up big numbers. I tried them and stunk the place up. I tried 109's and that was an exercise in futility. I engaged in turning fights and learned it wasn't healthy to be flying alone. Eventually Ace expansion pack arrived and I was flying Mustangs and more Jugs... I kept climbing to high altitude only to be shot down by those redwulf guys or AFJ guys...very aggrevation I might add. It was obvious they knew something I didn't. I tried to climb with a 109K in my 109K and got left in the dust..."how the heck did that happen" I asked myself.

Tactically speaking, I figured the game out pretty quick. I realized that if I were patient and understood what was going on from a furball standpoint I could put myself in a postion to score kills. Early on, with my offline experience and patience, I did ok. If I was patient and I entered the fray above the enemy I could stay alive longer and kill more enemies longer...until someone got above me, I ran out of energy, or I ran out of luck.

I flew the Jug alot before it was good but I kept hearing people talk about energy tactics and angles fighting...I knew what T&B was and B&Z but those other things were alien to me. I knew that I had maybe one or two dives in a Jug and I had to abandon the area lest I become someone elses statistic.

I plodded along complaing with the rest that La's were uber, Fw's were porked, mk108 rocked and .50's were p-shooters (they still are http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif) like the rest of the guys. I kept reading "its the pilot not the plane" stuff.

One day I asked the question "i read about high speed turning advantage vs. low speed turning advantage but I don't understand how I take advantage of a plane with a high speed turn advantage?" I like Mustangs...and they were ok but I was trying to emulate tactics and couldn't find the success I want.

I was replied to by a fellow who pointed me towards a video and explained in detail what energy tactics were and what they looked like. I watched the video and began to bench test aircraft on my own noting performance differences. I discovered IL2 compare too...and this really helped!

With some practice I began to understand energy. I began to understand angles. I began to understand the performance envelopes of different aircraft and how to exploit them. I made plenty of mistakes in judging other aircraft's energy potential and to this day I still have problems with aircraft that I don't understand their capabilities but over time my eye for energy got better and better. I came to the conclusion that whoever entered the battle with an energy advantage was most likely to win.

In combination with this, my gunnery is improving. I am not excitable so when I track a target, I do so with a steady hand. I bought a Saitek X-45 and learned how to adjust my aim with a rudder. I can now score kills on bogeys with HMG's much better. I learn how to avoid head ons and how to turn into an aircraft so as negate an attack or minimize my exposure, I understand how to get the most out of high speed handling or low speed handling...the world opened up before my eyes and the game slowed down. I learned how to survive longer if a bandit is on my six, I learned how to scissors, and I learned teamspeak and teamwork most importantly. I read Shaw's book on combat tactics and manuevering.

Now I fly my Fw with confidence, I kill La's repeatedly when I'm in my performance envelope, I am able to turn the tables on occasion when I enter a fight at a disadvantage. I kill with HMG's now and I understand that my engine wont quit everytime the overheat light comes on. I now fly German aircraft much more but still like Mustangs, spits and jugs. I tend to dread flying those low altitude turning aircraft and no longer fear them. It is now fun to draw two or three La's up to about 5 or 6000 meteres and systematically dismantle them and lose of course, but not so much as I win. I know that there will always be someone better than me but I can always aspire to be that pilot.

I still won't go so far as to say it is the pilot not the plane because if that were true I'd be able to fly my I-16 against Dora's and win and I can't unless i'm lucky and frankly speaking neither can anyone else but I will say all things being equal or close to equal...at least the aircraft fighting have certain advantages and disadvantages, pilot skill usually determines the outcome. And more importantly, pilot tactics!

I say this because if you say this aircraft is uber or that one is porked...imho there are a couple in both catagories, but by and large the majority of the aircraft have both advantages and disadvantages and if you understand these and can manipulate the engagement you will win most of the time.

Something for newer players to look forward to and I am certain there is tons more to learn...I think I just got a look at the tip of the iceberg.

p1ngu666
02-15-2005, 05:37 PM
yep, the black art of level bombing http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Bull_dog_
02-15-2005, 06:06 PM
Yeah...actually I'd really like to learn how to do that...are there any good tutorials?

WTE_Galway
02-15-2005, 06:13 PM
have you played "Achtung Spitfire!" Pingu? Is it any good?

p1ngu666
02-15-2005, 06:31 PM
there are some, but poke me on HL and ill teach u, also vid by dart ive not watched yet http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

galway, ive never heard of a game called "actung spitfire!" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

JG54_Arnie
02-16-2005, 03:31 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Well put Bull_dog! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Interesting read for sure. And made me think about my evolution and what's perhaps still missing. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif