PDA

View Full Version : MS Sidewinder

stoopidlimey
01-28-2006, 09:23 AM
Hey guys,
I have a MS Sidewinder precision Pro1, and was wondering if it will work with Windows XP? Note I have the USB adapter that came with it.

Thanks,
Stoopidlimey

stoopidlimey
01-28-2006, 09:23 AM
Hey guys,
I have a MS Sidewinder precision Pro1, and was wondering if it will work with Windows XP? Note I have the USB adapter that came with it.

Thanks,
Stoopidlimey

PriK
01-28-2006, 09:27 AM
I would imagine it should have you given it a try yet?

AFJ_rsm
01-28-2006, 09:58 AM
my ffbpro 1 works fine! no usb adapter either, plugged in straight to a gameport

hunter987654321
01-28-2006, 02:45 PM
I have MS sidewinder freestyle pro , and usb adapter , but not recognise the gamepad . Need help ,please

Xiolablu3
01-29-2006, 11:25 PM
It should work fine, I have a Precision Pro and a Force Feedback pro both working great, but I dont use an adapter, they often do not work. Try the adapter, if it doesnt work the try this :-

If your sound card doesnt have a Joystick gameport then buy yourself a cheap older model soundblaster live off ebay (they are around 3 or $4) Ask the seller if it has a gameport as the newer cheaper models dont have a one, so check before you buy.

Plug it into a spare PCI slot and disable all the sound features if you just want to use it for a gameport, now plug your JS in and if you have it set up correct it should work fine.

If not then add a new joystick from the applet and pick 'sidewinder autodetect' and make sure you choose 'use soundblaster live gameport' from the drop down memory which may also contain your other soundcard as it is the default. This should get it working ok.

This is a far better and cheaper solution than USB/gameport adapters which sometimes dont work.

Just be sure to have your main soundcard as the default and the SB live shouldnt interfere at all. Of course if you have onbvoard sound then use the SB live features instead as it is a Hardware soundcard which is always better than most other onboard sound (apart from Nvidia soundstorm)

My MS FF pro is working great and cost me 1.99 + 3 for the SB Live!. 5 for a great FF joystick.

The only trouble is that you cant alter any settings, such as the strength of the feedback, at least I haev not found any way to do it, (but I havent really looked) but mine is great as it is. You shouldnt have any trouble its not FF anyway.

LUFT11_Hoflich
01-31-2006, 06:11 PM
Hi..

I've been using a MS Sidewinder presicion Pro twi the DB serial connection... has worked perfectly over 4 years of flight sims. time to retire it, rudder moves by itself to both sides just a little.. also both axis are a bit numb, I'm sure a little doit-yourself maintenance would fix it.. but what the heck... If I was too cheap to buy me a new stick this last years.. (cuz that MS SW I bought it used) .. what the hell.. I'm still cheap.. so I'll just do some doit-yourself fixin' hope it works.. If it does.. I wont be a lawndart anymore.

H¶f...

vincemagda
01-31-2006, 10:45 PM
I would go with Xiolablu3 there. I upgraded to Intel LGA 775 then discovered no gameport on the MOBO. My sidewinder with USB adaptor refused to work, I bought a cheapy soundcard and disabled it's sound. Plugged in sidewinder to cheapy soundcard and still no joy. I found out that there is a gameport on the new MOBO, but needs an extension from the MOBO to the case. All I then did was disable the MOBO game port in BIOS and Device Manager and bang!!!, the joystick worked. Whilst at it, I disabled all the ports I was not using in BIOS and the rig now boots up at lightning speed (50 seconds), but that is another subject altogether.

Seems like there was a clash between the MOBO gameport and cheapy sound card. For the hell of it, I tried a mate's creator live! card and it did the same "clash". This must be an issue with the Gigabyte board.

Maybe the above helps.

Cheers

hunter987654321
02-01-2006, 07:32 AM
Please , vincemagda , how called the disable gameport in your mobo? sorry for this............english , i'm italian .My usb adapter is a sitecom , and i have a ms sidewinder FF and ms gamepad sidewinder freestyle pro . I check my control panel and i see only the usb adapter , no the joystick or gamepad . HELP ME

Xiolablu3
02-01-2006, 08:44 AM
Keep tapping delete on boot up and you will get into your BIOS.

Look through the options and you will find a gameport setting if your motherboard has a gameport.

vincemagda
02-01-2006, 01:00 PM
Hey hunter987654321,

Nothing wrong with your english there, you must hear (see/read) my Italian. The closest is that my sister owns a Fiat.

Xiolablu3 is quite right, all I have to add is that look under advanced BIOS settings or onboard peripherals. Just about each MOBO BIOS is different, but all quite similiar. My Gigabyte is quite different in that I have to use Ctrl+F1 to access the advanced BIOS settings, but all as per the MOBO handbook. If no handbook, one usually can download one off the MOBO manufacturer's website.

Look at your BIOS help screen on which keyboard keys to use to change the settings, usually the plus and minus keys or PageUp or PageDown keys. The ports also normally have only two or three settings, enabled/disabled/auto. Use "disabled". Remember to save before exiting to Windows.

Hope you come right.

P.S. if things go wrong, re-boot and enter the BIOS then use default or safe settings and try again.