PDA

View Full Version : Free Lock-on with PF in US

WTE_Gog
12-15-2004, 11:02 AM
Ooooh goody! A freebie! But why just in the US? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif What about the rest of the world?

You know I've seen businesses give away freebies like this before....generally just before the a r s e drops out of them. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif
Are PF sales that bad in the US???

9th_Bloodfist
12-15-2004, 11:07 AM
dont stress on it, lock on is terrible.

WTE_Gog
12-15-2004, 11:12 AM
I'm not sure if that's a comfort. So 1C is giving away a **** game with PF? I can't see how this is good business sense?

TgD Thunderbolt56
12-15-2004, 11:14 AM
I'll send my copy of Lock-on to someone. I installed it in my last machine, but haven't even fiddled with it in months.

Not a fan...really.

WTE_Gog
12-15-2004, 11:28 AM
And just to rub salt into the wound, click on the banner offering the free Lock-on deal and read the description of Pacific Fighters there.....

Over 40 flyable WWII fighters and bombers, a partial list includes: Aichi D3A1 Val, Bristol Beaufighter, Douglas A-20 Havoc, Douglas SBD Dauntless, Grumman F6F Hellcat, Kawasaki Ki-61 Tony, Mitsubishi A6M Zero, Mitsubishi G4M1 Betty, North American B-25 Mitchell, Supermarine Seafire and Vought F4U-1 Corsair.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

VW-IceFire
12-15-2004, 11:40 AM
Yeah Ubi's marketing department is a few years behind the times unfortunately.

BlitzPig_DDT
12-15-2004, 11:42 AM
Lock On is a better sim. Better controls, greater complexity, better weather options, better QMB, better campaigns, better graphics (by far), better systems modeling..... the only down side is that it's modern aircraft only, and has far fewer planes (but that's why they can do the other stuff).

Waldo.Pepper
12-15-2004, 01:24 PM
Imagine how reading that offer would make you feel if you had worked hard as a member of the LOMAC development team.

Get FREE Pacific Fighters with eevery CFS3 purchase!

Yeah! That's how it would feel!

I used to work for a software company (I finished up as a developer with that company). What a blow to morale this must be.

Save us from the marketers.

buz13
12-15-2004, 02:45 PM
LOMAC free means it's not selling.......mainly because it's not very playable on anything but a high end machine...and sometimes not on them.
Too bad because it could be an excellent sim that would sell well even if the plane selection is rather limited.
Playability is the stopper for me....I can mostly only fly around and look at the lively graphics....any heavy combat....FPS down the tube.

cow9th
12-15-2004, 03:14 PM
nothing new, buy a console fighting game in japan and you get a training video.

buy the slow letterboxed censored uk version and the added extra ? 50% price hike.

but lomacs not so hot i wouldnt be too bothered about it. makes a good coaster while you install PF http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

raven_1968
12-15-2004, 05:02 PM
Could it be a catch to the up and coming Lock-On 1.1 Flaming Cliffs "addon"?? Although UBI is not involved with ED anymore...I just wonder. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

ElAurens
12-15-2004, 05:39 PM
UBI is just trying to get rid of their stocks of flight sims before pulling the plug.

Be sure.

ComradeBadinov
12-15-2004, 07:06 PM
If you go buy PF, I'll give you my copy of LOMAC, because it basically sucks the big one... when the other unmentionable gets here....6DOF I may load it up again to see how it looks... cause the way it plays now, I can't stand it...

BSR_Dude
12-15-2004, 07:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by buz13:
mainly because it's not very playable on anything but a high end machine... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It played just fine on my 1800 Athlon and ti4400. I just didn't set all the settings to high. Kinda like trying to run FB in perfect mode on that rig, it ain't gonna happen. 95% of the problems people had w/that game were video card related. The most common problem was the n00b w/the GF2 MX400 card not being able to run it. Their response to their card not being compatible was "it runs the Sims just fine"......And then there are the guys who wondered why it ran horribly on Win98.

Someone made a mod that disabled some of the shaders that the low end cards couldn't process and the game worked well for them after that. I love how people think that you can max out the game settings w/a rig that's 2 years old. And I get about a 10-15% better framerate on my rig (AMD64 3200, 6800GT) w/PF than I do on LOMAC, but LOMAC is very flyable.

I agree too Blitz, LOMAC is a better sim. I like the FB series as well as LOMAC tho.

Holycannoli
12-15-2004, 07:34 PM
Lock On in many ways is a superior simulation. But that's also it's main problem: modern jet fighters are all about the electronics. You think you have too many gauges and keyboard shortcuts to memorize now with PF? You ain't seen nothin yet! It's so good a simulation that it makes you realize just how tedious it can be to have computerized radar and weapons etc. I don't play it much because you REALLY have to learn your chosen plane. You have to learn it's radar, it's weapons, all the keys to operate them. And it's not a small task. Fantastically simulated though. But doesn't have the gaming feel and appeal of the IL2 series which is 100 times simpler and 100 times easier to learn by comparison (that's natural though. Prop planes vs complicated modern jet fighters).

And it's odd that they're giving away Lock On only in the US, considering Lock On is really only now supported outside the US? I think there's even an expansion that was only released in Russia (don't quote me on this).

LEXX_Luthor
12-15-2004, 07:37 PM
BSR:: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Someone made a mod [lomac] that disabled some of the shaders that the low end cards couldn't process and the game worked well for them after that. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Now, why didn't the Devs make that from the beginning, so all people could run LOMAC?

I hear the UltraPro grafix card only goes so far, any more than 3 or 4 planes or tanks and the cpu fries. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Heinz_Knokke
12-15-2004, 08:04 PM
Actually, LOMAC is a better simulation than IL2/FB. Only problem for me: this is about jet airplanes.
I once dreamed that FB would have a new terrain looking like the one in LOMAC, after reading that it will be completly overhauled in FB. Fact is that the terrain in FB sucks as much as in IL2.

What is worse to me, is that LOMAC runs smoothly on my system in medium quality, when FB has constant pauses and stutters and low framerates.

Whatever. the free PF for the buy of Lock-On ONLY in the US is a poor move from the marketing department in UBI: it only means that the customers in other part of the world are not deemed good enough to be worth the bargain...

Kuoster
12-15-2004, 10:57 PM
LOMAC IS one of the greatest sims out there, as real, complex, detailed, and immersive as u can get for a modern combat sim. You just really have to take the time to learn all the systems, buttons, ect to really get the fullest out of it + a reali good rig!

But Trust me, the devs and promotional people arent that stupid. In another perspective, the VERY Anticipated payware 1.1 Addon that is being developed and coming out soon, so if people are getting PF, which is a complete and well selling game, They'll get LOMAC with it as well. LOMAC is a GREAT Game, and though it seems they shouldnt be giving it out free, People will install it just for the heck of it anywaze and soon a percentage might enjoy it and might as well buy the cheaper Addon! So no matter what, there will be a gain in profit for the 1.1 Addon.

TPN_Cephas
12-15-2004, 11:10 PM
LOMAC is a beautiful game if you have a seriously fast comp, but online it is a stinking piece of @#$%.

actionhank1786
12-15-2004, 11:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ComradeBadinov:
If you go buy PF, I'll give you my copy of LOMAC, because it basically sucks the big one... when the other unmentionable gets here....6DOF I may load it up again to see how it looks... cause the way it plays now, I can't stand it... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
let me get this straight, you think Lock On sucks, but 6DOF is worth replaying it?
I think lock on is a pretty **** good game, if you're willing to take the time to sit and actually learn to operate every place correctly.
My computer isnt quite up to snuff to i can't play it like i'd like, but once i get my new PC i plan to reinstall it.
it's not that bad of a game, but to each his own.
i do admit it doesnt hold me quite like PF does.

GAU-8
12-16-2004, 01:02 AM
BADINOV..

i hope your geting VECTOR for the sake of using track-IR.... the 6DOF part, will not be in LOMAC. just like PF, the developers left out many areas that at the time wer never to be viewed.

sorry, the ONLY games available with 6way viewing is MSFS2004, AND MScombat3

also, have any of you tried it lately, after the patches? im finding it decently enjoyable, now that i re-installed, and actually have been making the time to see what everything does, and a little bit of research. its not BAD. its just nice... then again play it in about 4 years, and youll LOVE it when "average" technology catches up http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Tully__
12-16-2004, 03:40 AM
LOMAC is good for the jet buffs. I'm not a LOMAC fan.

MEGILE
12-16-2004, 03:49 AM
LOMAC is the best modern flight sim on sale. It is a shame that UBI has resorted to giving it away.. I guess it came down to poor sales.

Thankfully, UBI is no longer involved in future LOMAC projects http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Mjollnir111675
12-16-2004, 07:07 AM
@ the threads topic: Yep definately awkward thinking on Ubi's behalf! I read elsewhere in another thread the idea of the "Platinum Pack" that I had joked about a few weeks prior. BUT laughs aside one would think that it would be more logical to have fb/aep&pf in one package.BEEF up the manual with all of the obvious issues that have only been asked here a billion times,put some guage photos on the ref card like fb has,and take the d@rned phrase: "O'er 40 planes included BETTY" OFF the D@rned box!! That just may help Oleg 'N' Crew get the ends they need.
How bout a coin op version?? Right across from EB in my local mall!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

@ anyone: Does LOMAC have A-6's in it? Or is it just a fighter sim??

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-11/873935/aVENGE.jpg

Iwatapt
12-16-2004, 10:51 AM
LOMAC has the F-15, Mig-29, Su-27, Su-25 and A-10, if memory serves.

It's on the same vein as FB, meaning, fighter/ground attack roles.

It's not a bad game, to me anyway. The only reason I evntually gave up on it was the fact that it ran terribly on my PC. A shame, I was enjoying the brief fluid moments in which I could actually control the plane.

Fennec_P
12-16-2004, 11:09 AM
Now I feel even dumber for buying LOMAC.

I must have spent more time "configuring" it than actually playing it.

Didn't even get to play one full multiplayer game without either a CTD, lockup, graphical glitch (vanishing planes anyone?), or unplayable lag.

Once I saw Su-27s carrying Phoenixes, it kind of removed all point of trying.

I'm glad no one else will have to buy it, but will encourage sales of PF.

BSR_Dude
12-16-2004, 03:10 PM
Get used to having to configure your rig to play any flight sims coming out in the future. I've seen almost as many complaints about PF not running (and stuttering) on these forums as I have w/LOMAC. The difference is that PF is OpenGL, and seems as it's more forgiving on vid cards that don't support some of the newer features. LOMAC has much better explosions, smoke, terrain, etc. That doesn't mean that I don't like PF though.

One of the main problems is people trying to run LOMAC on a GF2 Mx400 card, which is dx8 compliant but not dx8 compatible. Some of the shaders crash the rig w/the offending vid card. Most of the peeps that had problems got them fixed by help from the community and are happily playing the game. Unfortunately most that had it from the start that got disillusioned haven't come back. 1.02 runs great, better frames than before and the new addon is gonna pwn.

The first thing to remember when configuring your game is that unless you have an absolute top of the line rig, vid card and tons of ram you cannot run it w/all settings on high. 95% of the bad rap LOMAC got was because of user error.

BlitzPig_DDT
12-16-2004, 04:23 PM
The computer is NOT an appliance, no matter what (cr)Apple tries to tell you. I knew this GUI **** was a bad idea. I can't beleive people are kvetching about having to tweak their system.

You want one button operation? Buy a toaster, or a game console. If you actually want to do cool stuff, get a PC and spend a few hours of your life reading and learning. It's not that hard. And if it is for you, go back the the toaster and/or game console.

And regarding software - You can have it ambitious (feature-ific), quickly made, or "well made" (it'll NEVER be bug free anymore, too much complexity, but they can still be almost bug free) - pick 2.