PDA

View Full Version : whats up with turning left?

raaaid
05-12-2009, 09:08 AM
why if indifferent i always turn left? like most in my experience

in fact i recall a veteran in history channel saying how odd a foe was since he turned right

he explained it was easier turn left than right since it takes less effort

but this is bring down by sims where everybody does it taking both ways equal effort

this is biggest mistery for me, just cant find why

but comes to my mind the antig pioneer schauberger who would say that a river depending wether it went counter or clockwise would be a dessert or a vergel

whats your theory on most prefering to turn left?

raaaid
05-12-2009, 09:08 AM
why if indifferent i always turn left? like most in my experience

in fact i recall a veteran in history channel saying how odd a foe was since he turned right

he explained it was easier turn left than right since it takes less effort

but this is bring down by sims where everybody does it taking both ways equal effort

this is biggest mistery for me, just cant find why

but comes to my mind the antig pioneer schauberger who would say that a river depending wether it went counter or clockwise would be a dessert or a vergel

whats your theory on most prefering to turn left?

Art-J
05-12-2009, 09:28 AM
For example: engine and propeller torque, making initial roll faster to one side than to the other http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif. Althought, I presume it was more of an issue for WWI fighters, the ones equipped with rotary engines - do I recall right, Sopwith Camel being famous for turning much tighter and faster to the right because of this very reason?
I guess in "our" fighters the effect is much less pronounced, although I never did any tests to check that!

Cheers - Art

noobisoft
05-12-2009, 09:31 AM
Well, in my preferred crate (IL2), the engine torque tends to pull the thing to the left, so it's a little quicker and easier to roll left.

RedToo
05-12-2009, 09:47 AM
I think it may have something to do with most people being right handed - it's easier to go to the left - as in leading with the right. I recall a scene in one of Derek Robinson's books (the first one about a WWII squadron) where the intelligence officer arranges a squadron photo and just before it is taken he fires a pistol behind the pilots. In the photo they are nearly all looking over their left shoulder. I am right handed and find it easier to push the speed up on left handed corners when motoring quickly than right handed corners. Then again all this may be pure speculation.

RedToo.

X32Wright
05-12-2009, 09:54 AM
Yeah it has to do with being RIGHT HANDED and using the WWII stick that goes to the floor. Imagine holding this stick between your legs, it is easier to move to the left than to right when you do this because you are pushing (when you move to the left) and pulling (when you move to the right).

crucislancer
05-12-2009, 10:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedToo:
I think it may have something to do with most people being right handed - it's easier to go to the left - as in leading with the right. I recall a scene in one of Derek Robinson's books (the first one about a WWII squadron) where the intelligence officer arranges a squadron photo and just before it is taken he fires a pistol behind the pilots. In the photo they are nearly all looking over their left shoulder. I am right handed and find it easier to push the speed up on left handed corners when motoring quickly than right handed corners. Then again all this may be pure speculation.

RedToo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remember that, from "Piece of Cake". Great book. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

raaaid
05-12-2009, 12:21 PM
it makes sense being easier to push than to pull when you are taking of 50 kg like is a real stick

but this doesnt make any difference with a joystick there has to be something more into this

may be the way our brain is wired

DKoor
05-12-2009, 12:26 PM
Yes definitely ezier to turn left for me.
When flying say a Zero, that is actually advantagehttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.

GH_Klingstroem
05-12-2009, 01:06 PM
This exactly the reason why I turn to the right when someone is trying to go into a turnfight with me. Most people turn worse to the right than left so that gives me the edge and in many cases a small advanatge.
Someone told me the 190 turns worse to the right than to the left so when turnfighting them in my p51 I prefer to go right...

K_Freddie
05-12-2009, 01:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Art-J:
For example: engine and propeller torque.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thus my short 'Turn Left' reply in that other FW190 turning topic of yours... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

If you're in a FW190 and you opponent turns right, You must go into a hard left turn.. YES, Hard Left... he'll be surprised to find you turning inside his turn..
I've done it on a few occasions against an online Tempest... I don't think they were pleased about that.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

raaaid
05-12-2009, 01:17 PM
thanks k freddy havent tried yet but in my mind must work best

leiker06
05-12-2009, 01:40 PM
its the way everyone flies. everyone holds the stick in their right hand. if you have it in your left, you're just wierd. but if you ever stop and think about it its just more natural to go left than it is right with the stick in yor right hand. thats why a lot of people go left first because its more natural. but i guess if you know your a/c well enough you'd find ways to exploit your strengths to your enenmies weaknesses. thats why going right throughs some pilots off because they almost always anticipate them going left.

TS_Sancho
05-12-2009, 02:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by leiker06:
its the way everyone flies. everyone holds the stick in their right hand. if you have it in your left, you're just wierd. but if you ever stop and think about it its just more natural to go left than it is right with the stick in yor right hand. thats why a lot of people go left first because its more natural. but i guess if you know your a/c well enough you'd find ways to exploit your strengths to your enenmies weaknesses. thats why going right throughs some pilots off because they almost always anticipate them going left. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your right on the money, p-factor/torque aside most people break to the left intuitively. I fly closed cockpit and as a rule when surprised I nose down and skid right. This does a whole bunch of things at once to complicate your attackers firing solution and in my experience will spoil most peoples aim on their next gun correction as well.

money_money
05-12-2009, 02:17 PM
http://4.media.tumblr.com/8dfqUEP9Tiiv4ydbFWvlwBNJo1_400.jpg

DER-EK
ZOO-LAN-DER

couldn't turn right either

Boosher
05-12-2009, 02:33 PM
Money_money, you took the words right out of my mouth!

K_Freddie
05-12-2009, 02:42 PM
A little titbit from 'myworld' http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

When on a persons '6', it doesn't matter whether they go left, right,up or down. What matters is whether I can get a bead on them within a second of that evasive move... if not, I set them up for the next shot..

If I see they getting away, via turning or other means, I plan my next move, always thinking about 2 or 3 moves ahead of the current scenario, keeping in mind the 2 a/c strengths and weaknesses.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Zeus-cat
05-12-2009, 09:40 PM
I thought I remember reading somewhere that the Japanese carriers with the islands on the port, or left side, of the flight deck suffered more landing accidents than those ships with the islands on the starboard side. Only the Hiryu and the Akagi were built this way. The thinking for the increased accidents was that right-handed pilots naturally faded to the left as they landed because they pushed the stick to the left.

The idea behind the "wrong" sided islands was to have one right island carrier paired with a left island carrier was to improve the flight patterns around the two carriers.

WTE_Galway
05-12-2009, 11:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by leiker06:
its the way everyone flies. everyone holds the stick in their right hand. if you have it in your left, you're just wierd. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or a real life pilot.

Most GA pilots fly Cessna's and Pipers with the engine controls in the centre of the plane and in both cases you control the yoke with your left hand while adjusting mixture and throttle with the right hand.

jamesblonde1979
05-13-2009, 01:20 AM
Dubpost

V V v V V

jamesblonde1979
05-13-2009, 01:21 AM
It has to do with whether you are left or right handed.

There's a great passage about it in the book 'Piece of Cake' that ends up with Flash Gordon almost getting bludgeoned to death with a cricket bat...