PDA

View Full Version : Question about Rift puzzles and Capitalism *Spoilers*

john63
06-09-2011, 11:36 PM
Hi everyone.

I had some questions about the Rift puzzles in AC: Brotherhood, and their explanation of Abstergo's activities throughout history.

****Spoilers, if you haven't finished the puzzles!****

If I understand correctly, the templars invented large-scale capitalism, and used it to gain power by:

1. Controlling global finances through the decisions made at the Bretton Woods Conference (How, exactly, IDK, but I'm no economist.)
2. Controlling the supply of paper money through institutions like the Federal reserve in the US.
2. Keeping wages low to keep the middle class subservient.
3. Installing Abstergo employees at the head of nearly every large corporation on earth.
4. Causing Justice Roberts to be appointed to the Supreme court, eventually allowing corporations (and Abstergo) to finance campaigns for candidates that serve their agenda.
5. Using Pieces of Eden, television, and video games to keep people from noticing them, and wire taps to monitor anyone suspicious.

Now, I'm as right-wing as they come, but I could see the plausibility in all this; It's certainly as plausible as Hitler, FDR, Churchill and Stalin all working together, right? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

But I'm a little fuzzier on the Assassins' apparent response. The final rift puzzle shows several protesters, at least some of whom are communists (Big banner with Mao's face). Are the assassins supporting these groups? Seems a little counterintuitive; the assassins are all about preserving humanity's free will, and I've never heard of a communist state being known for how free its citizens are...

Did the assassins help the communists because they were the only people left to fight the Abstergo behemoth?

For the record, I'm not trying to demonize any political groups or economic schools of thought; some of this just struck me as a bit odd. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Jon253
06-10-2011, 01:29 AM
Good point, I noticed that too and was going to ask that. I could understand some of the anti-capitalistic themes, but don't understand how the Assassin's could ally with communists. Stalin and Mao killed millions and oppressed free will of the people, sounds like natural enemies of the Assassins.

Moultonborough
06-10-2011, 01:48 AM
It is a good point but it does have some modern evidence to it. I can list three examples off the top of my head. First is that when they started after the war with Russia the US helped install and support the Taliban. It is the same thing with Iraq and Saddam Hussein. And last and most recently we and NATO have been supporting the Rebels in Libya in which al-Qaeda has praised the Rebels cause.So, what Abstergo is doing is not really that far fetched.

PhiIs1618033
06-10-2011, 02:14 AM
Problem with communism is that it's a great idea. In theory, as outlined by Marx. However, in practice the leaders of communism became corrupted (not so weird since power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely), so you've got more of a dictatorship in which there are two layers: one very rich and very small, and one very poor and big. That's the tragedy of communism.

xepa105
06-10-2011, 02:49 AM
I don't think the Assassin's favour Capitalism or Communism or any other type of financial philosophy. They fight for free will and freedom for people, regardless of financial philosophy.

What I think happened was that Abstergo/Templars used capitalism as a vehicle to further their control of people. It's not as much a criticism of capitalism itself, as it is a criticism of people who explore capitalism for their own personal gains and in the case of AC, to control the populace.

Crouching.Tiger
06-10-2011, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by Moultonborough:
It is a good point but it does have some modern evidence to it. I can list three examples off the top of my head. First is that when they started after the war with Russia the US helped install and support the Taliban. It is the same thing with Iraq and Saddam Hussein. And last and most recently we and NATO have been supporting the Rebels in Libya in which al-Qaeda has praised the Rebels cause.So, what Abstergo is doing is not really that far fetched.

Don't forget the USA-supported coup d'état in Chile 1973 (which has been featured in Brotherhood) and, probably, the coup attempt in Venezuela 2002 (by, simply put, private-owned media and businessmen). They fit very well in the established conspiracy theory, just as historical events (like the Pazzi conspiracy) have done before.

However, I agree that assassins seem strangely tolerant of communism. But you must realize that all those dictatorships started as arguably understandable revolutions against unstandable governments. An assassin, capitalism-opposed and freedom-loving, would probably, just like many others in that time, support revolutions like the ones in Russia, China, Cuba and Iran, and they couldn't really know how the new regimes would turn out. It's just like most of the West support the current revolutions in the Arab world, even if we can't know if people's lives will be better or worse because of them.

john63
06-10-2011, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

@Jon253: We do know that Stalin was a templar; he and hitler were meant to create a lot of chaos and fear in their regions. No word on Mao, though...

@PhiIs1618033...: Amen, dude. If it worked, it'd be great. But like you said, absolute power corrupts absolutely. One of the reasons I love AC is that it meshes quite well with my political beliefs: giving any one person too much power will inevitably lead to corruption and oppression.

xepa105: makes sense. Ubisoft laid out a pretty coherent theory of how large-scale capitalism (one of the greatest freedom-producers in the world, IMO) could give a group a tremendous amount of political and economic control, if the leaders of all corporations were working together.

@Crouching.Tiger: true, a revolution against oppression often leads right back to oppression. Perhaps, in the 20th century, as Abstergo gained more and more power, the Assassins were forced to focus strictly on templar-related activities, and many other oppressive regimes were allowed to remain. *shrug.*