PDA

View Full Version : Night flying and navigation lights.

Hoatee
02-09-2005, 05:40 AM
This bit about the game is bothering me :

At night I see bombers flying with their navigation lights on over enemy territory. When I fly a bomber I can switch my own navigation lights but not that of my wingmen.

Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think bombers flew over the enemy with navigation lights on. Maybe I have overlooked something but :

How can the navigation lights of AI aircraft be switched off (during night flying)?

Ta.

Hoatee
02-09-2005, 05:40 AM
This bit about the game is bothering me :

At night I see bombers flying with their navigation lights on over enemy territory. When I fly a bomber I can switch my own navigation lights but not that of my wingmen.

Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think bombers flew over the enemy with navigation lights on. Maybe I have overlooked something but :

How can the navigation lights of AI aircraft be switched off (during night flying)?

Ta.

hotspace
02-09-2005, 06:48 AM
You can't I'm afraid, but the Ju-88 tends to keep it's off more times then not........I guess another Bug http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Hot Space

EnGaurde
02-09-2005, 06:52 AM
if you turn ANY lights on at night, you'll be a nice white dot in the sky.

or green and red.

deserving investigation, for sure.

i learned this after days of being shot down so very quickly in my Stuka...

Hoatee
02-09-2005, 07:08 AM
Seems the threshold is on or about 0330H. Made one mission of Heinkels flying at 0330H and the lights were off. Change the time to 2330H and the lights are on.

I don't consider this a bug - more an aspect of the sim that was overlooked. Run outta time but will test some more 'sum' tyme layter...

Hoatee
02-11-2005, 04:58 AM
Right all of you,

Into nightflying missions I have established that (ai) aircraft will fly with navigation lights on if start time is set from 2100H - 0300H.

Set the time to 2050H or earlier and no lights. Set the time to 0300H or later and no lights.

So it wasn't really a bug - just an unpublished fact.

Now for the balloons and searchlights....

Feathered_IV
02-11-2005, 07:12 AM
Thanks. I was looking for a way to solve this too. Much appreciated!

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

Hoatee
02-11-2005, 01:59 PM
My apologies to the last poster but,

To elaborate just a wee bit more.

In QMB all the planes switch the lights on ('cos they appear to be programmed to land).

In FMB the leader in each flight switches his lights on and his mates leaves theirs off.

Euphoria somewhat diminished,

The end.

Feathered_IV
02-11-2005, 11:59 PM
Ah well....Maybe Oleg would consider making nav lights something which can be disabled in the config.ini

stansdds
02-12-2005, 12:05 PM
During WW II and through the 1950's U.S. aircraft used blue colored formation keeping lights. These were placed on the upper surfaces and could not be seen from below. By the time the Korean War started, the blue formation lights were also being placed on the lower surface of the wings as well.

Hoatee
02-13-2005, 05:03 AM
Thanks for the last post. Anybody else have any info on what the other air forces did for night flying during the 2ndWW?

Giganoni
02-13-2005, 05:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hoatee:
Thanks for the last post. Anybody else have any info on what the other air forces did for night flying during the 2ndWW? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Um...they kept the B-29 nice and shiney so they could dazzle people when Japanese ground searchlights made them disco balls of the sky. Of course that seemed to attract Ki-45s with 37mm cannons. They really liked disco. Anyway, I just know Ki-45 became a successful nightfighter. Many of their pilots became trained in nightfighting but, I too would like info if they did anything special.