PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me, or for such a great game it sure does have a lot of "quirks"

Jdzspace
11-30-2009, 04:31 PM
I mean great game, love it, hooked on it. WORLDS better than AC1, no doubt. But my BIGGEST complaint, is that when i want him to do something (in a timed situation where precision counts)he almost NEVER does what i want him to do.

For example, if i'm running from a guard or just making my way across rooftops he hops up as quick as he can. No hesitation, no problems. BUT
put me in a race or a contest of ANY kind (ESPECIALLY the freaking Assassin tombs), and up all of a sudden means down, jump means drop down and pushing forward means off to the side.

Is it just me? or have i wronged the game in some way that it is just getting retribution?

and on that note, the assassin's tombs. .. what is the point of them again? Its just random abstract platforming that just gets more and more annoying as you move through them due to the controls (atleast mine) inability to do what i tell them to do.

It has gotten to the point where i WISH i was done with them, they take me 100% out of the game and put me in a situation that not only will not be fun, but will be long,drawn out and tedious. not to mention frustrating, AC2 is a great game right behind uncharted 2 and Modern Warfare 2 in my book.

but it could be so much more of an enjoyable thing if they could just tweak the minor to extreme annoyances of the game.

Captain Tomatoz
11-30-2009, 04:35 PM
i loved the asssassin's tombs http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif added a bit extra to the game and a good challenge

TooLazy4Name
11-30-2009, 04:37 PM
ah, free running..

my analysis on AC free-running is this.

Getting from point A to point B - GREAT.

when precision is required - decent at best.

just take your time when using precision, unless your timed. then, pray that he does what you want.

Jdzspace
11-30-2009, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by tolazy4name1:
ah, free running..

just take your time when using precision, unless your timed. then, pray that he does what you want.

that is basically what it comes down to. Praying. . .I just wish he would do what i tell him to do!!

owell, still a great game. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Captain Tomatoz
11-30-2009, 04:43 PM
he neva did anything wrong for me so maybe it's just the preasure of being in a timed situation

Jdzspace
11-30-2009, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Tony6593:
he neva did anything wrong for me so maybe it's just the preasure of being in a timed situation

you trying to say it's my fault? hmmm. . . . who knows it could be. Had a very similar issue with AC1.

still annoying as hell though. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

bladencrowd
11-30-2009, 04:45 PM
Looks like a case of "sucking when pressured" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif.

Jdzspace
11-30-2009, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by bladencrowd:
Looks like a case of "sucking when pressured" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif.

nah, Assassin's creed doesn't really "pressure" you like other games do. But it always happens atleast once. For example, when i was playing a "capture the flag" type game 2 out of the 3 times, i did it the EXACT same way, same movements, same button clicks. . . no difference.

the 3rd time, for some unknown reason, the same tactics that worked the previous 2 times. . . lands me in the water on the far left. then when i clime the ladder, instead of climbing he goes halfway up. . . then decends (all while i'm hitting up mind you).

just things like that. not sure what it is,who knows?

Zeon636
11-30-2009, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Jdzspace:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tony6593:

you trying to say it's my fault? hmmm. . . . who knows it could be. Had a very similar issue with AC1.

still annoying as hell though. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OH MY GOD! Thank you. I love ACII, don't get me wrong.. It's deep and fun and great!!

The controls to the game however... are ABYSMAL. There is certainly a learning curve to the free running, and after you get the hang of it, it's incredible.... when it works. hahahaha

The problem is the fact that the gameplay is sooooo hyper-contextual and overly sensitive that you often have Ezio leaping to his death or missing just one jump in a platforming puzzle, and don't even start me on the TIMED elements in the tombs (AAAAARGGGH).
I love the PoP throwback gameplay in the tombs except for the fact that in PoP you could easily reverse a minor misstep in a platforming section. In both ACs you are punished BRUTALLY, and it just slows the game down.

Anyway just want to let you know that you aren't alone and it doesn't kill the game, but Ubisoft better work out the horrible control/camera situation before ACIII.

TOYCAR5253
11-30-2009, 09:54 PM
Yeah in the assassin tombs the camera angels change constantly and than that effects the directions fromt he stick, it got me many times.

guipit
12-01-2009, 12:14 AM
just take it slow with Ezio. You'll make less mistakes. Walk or Jog when you don't need to run that fast and if you're jumping make it percise by not just holding sprint but tapping X. lol

Atkamon
12-01-2009, 09:11 AM
I dunno, I play on PC, but I never had any problems with controlling AC1. I always read these comments about how uncontrollable the game is, but I always get to where I want to.... sometime when I need to be fast and precise, I fall, or tumble or whatever, but most of the time I can control Altair very well.

PlagueDoctor357
12-01-2009, 10:36 AM
Like the past 2 posters said pretty much.

You gotta just get a feel for the game by playing it ALOT. Knowing when to tap the jump button instead of holding it unless you know how to work the left analog perfectly to hit those chimneys or wooden beams.

Even being as good as I am at it, and I mean I make it look COOL when I do things on this game haha. I still manage to mess up when chasing people or something.

The tombs gave me no problems though.

Hurri211
12-01-2009, 12:58 PM
On the pc note, I've got AC1 on pc and AC2 on PS3. On the pc I RARELY made a mistake, and I could be very precise. With the PS3 however, it's different. I'm used to the controls now and I can use them to good affect. Just with the PS3 at least, it's not as accurate and its slower. On the pc, I can sprint and move my camera angle at the same time, so I can be more precise. But with PS3, it just feels slightly, limiting.

com199
12-01-2009, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Jdzspace:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tolazy4name1:
ah, free running..

that is basically what it comes down to. Praying. . .I just wish he would do what i tell him to do!!

owell, still a great game. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I liked being able to pray in AC1. Then JUMP FOR JESUS!!!!!!

RobL92123
12-01-2009, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by tolazy4name1:
ah, free running..

So true. Precision can sometimes be difficult.

ND-Arkie89
12-01-2009, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Zeon636:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jdzspace:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tony6593:

still annoying as hell though. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OH MY GOD! Thank you. I love ACII, don't get me wrong.. It's deep and fun and great!!

The controls to the game however... are ABYSMAL. There is certainly a learning curve to the free running, and after you get the hang of it, it's incredible.... when it works. hahahaha

The problem is the fact that the gameplay is sooooo hyper-contextual and overly sensitive that you often have Ezio leaping to his death or missing just one jump in a platforming puzzle, and don't even start me on the TIMED elements in the tombs (AAAAARGGGH).
I love the PoP throwback gameplay in the tombs except for the fact that in PoP you could easily reverse a minor misstep in a platforming section. In both ACs you are punished BRUTALLY, and it just slows the game down.

Anyway just want to let you know that you aren't alone and it doesn't kill the game, but Ubisoft better work out the horrible control/camera situation before ACIII. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't go so far as to say that the controls are abysmal, but there are still problems. They are a vast leap above the controls in ACI. My biggest complaint with a game that I do truly enjoy is the forced camera angles in the tombs. I understand that this mechanism is intended to help guide you in the right direction but, in the end, all it does is fight against you to the point of lunacy. I spent over an hour last night trying to beat the timed section beneath a certain Venice church and still have not completed it. It is extremely aggrivating to try and perform a wall run/jump combo when the camera forces you to look at the point you need to jump to while you are still trying to run up the wall (or statue) that you need to jump from. I almost threw my controller thru the tv last night I got so pi$$ed off! They give you a fly-thru before you start the sequence, htat should be enough! If I had one item that could be fixed in a patch, it would be the ability to turn this forced camera crap off.

I do love the game though, guys. Ubi did an incredible job of recreating the art and architecture of Italy!! As an architect, I have developed an eye for intricate detailing and I have been blown away with how beautifully these areas have been rendered! Good show!

PhantomBurn
12-01-2009, 03:55 PM
idk what all of you are talking about. myself, I am pro at the freerunning, in percision i'm rlly supper good. nothing has stoped me and Ezio has always done what i wanted. don't know what you all are complaining about but i love this game and maybe im just pro cause i play it a lot. but idk, i like doing the tombs btw, played all of them at least a couple times if not more

Zeon636
12-02-2009, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by PhantomBurn:
idk what all of you are talking about. myself, I am pro at the freerunning, in percision i'm rlly supper good. nothing has stoped me and Ezio has always done what i wanted. don't know what you all are complaining about but i love this game and maybe im just pro cause i play it a lot. but idk, i like doing the tombs btw, played all of them at least a couple times if not more

LOL'd. Troll fail. I agree tho. I am supper pro.

G0dsHolyMember
12-03-2009, 06:59 PM
Honestly, I hate to refer to any EA/DICE title around here. But the free-running in Mirror's Edge was brilliant in terms of controls and flexibility.

I'm not trying to make a comparison since both games are radically different on many levels, but I think Mirror's Edge did free-running beautifully.

AC's controls are very contextual, if you aren't jumping from floor to rail, his next jump will NOT be to the upper ledge, but will instead be a long jump. I had a minor amount of trouble in the family crypt and the church tomb due to these fascinating quirks...however once I understood the mechanics, I learned that I needed to angle towards these surfaces rather than just run however I please and just assume that since the landing point is within jumping distance, that my character will actually jump to it properly. However, my biggest peev is when Altair/Ezio desides for me that I really want to run up a rail/doorway/column when I actually want to get through the opening.

Other than that, I don't mind the controls in AC as much as I do the camera at times. However, given this game's smart-free-running mechanic, I can be pretty well assured that most times when I aim in a general direction and hold down the run key that my character will find a way of getting there, even if I can't see where precisely he's headed or the camera is facing in an oddball direction that limits depth.

rdmorris1234
12-21-2009, 01:17 AM
I really want to love Assassins Creed 2 but EVERY TIME i play it i wind up screaming obscenities at the tv solely because of the player controls.

the climbing should not be this difficult! most things he climbs quite well. but for no apparent reason some surfaces he just refuses to climb so he just gets stuck. he wont go up, cannot move down, and will not quickly go side to side. So i wind up 10-20 feet off the ground getting pummeled by guards because enzio decided to become fickle about what surfaces he will climb.

Seriously AC2 team wtf? Infamous and Uncharted 2 both have climbing that works well and fluidly. Why cant AC2 be just as good.

Could you just give some indication to the surfaces that he cannot climb straight up so that i can choose a different direction to move?

Also when climbing down a surface he will not transition to standing no matter how low he is. So often a have to press drop to get out of the climbing pose even though i am 2 inches from the roof or ground. That is unacceptable.

also no matter how high up i am all it takes is one rock thrown by a guard to knock me - incredibly weak.

EmperorxZurg
12-21-2009, 01:23 AM
have u learned how to jump yet? most of the buildings can be accessed easily if you jump up

Bampire
12-21-2009, 01:27 AM
I personally enjoyed the Assassin tombs. Just reminded me a lot of my favourite game franchise (tomb Raider). I enjoy the tomb raiding, especially in Assassin's Creed. That's one reason why I enjoyed the game so much on my part.

The Timed sequences is what helps make a 3rd person action-adventure game so great. Gives the players challenges, lets them test out how well they actually play it.

Honeslty, I enjoyed every bit. Though unfortunate you did not, but it seems like most of the fans enjoyed it more then disliked it.

Josho360
12-21-2009, 01:37 AM
I've never gotten stuck but it deffinatly does have flaws. It really annoyed me of how imprecise it was like with how impossible it was to do diagonal jumps from bars.

But over all it isn't bad and I find it easily enjoyable.

Mitro-Blade
12-21-2009, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by G0dsHolyMember:
Honestly, I hate to refer to any EA/DICE title around here. But the free-running in Mirror's Edge was brilliant in terms of controls and flexibility.

I'm not trying to make a comparison since both games are radically different on many levels, but I think Mirror's Edge did free-running beautifully.

AC's controls are very contextual, if you aren't jumping from floor to rail, his next jump will NOT be to the upper ledge, but will instead be a long jump. I had a minor amount of trouble in the family crypt and the church tomb due to these fascinating quirks...however once I understood the mechanics, I learned that I needed to angle towards these surfaces rather than just run however I please and just assume that since the landing point is within jumping distance, that my character will actually jump to it properly. However, my biggest peev is when Altair/Ezio desides for me that I really want to run up a rail/doorway/column when I actually want to get through the opening
One tip. Try Manual sprint. The idea of that is to not always hold the sprint button (Which i like to call "Passive freerunning") By doing "Manual sprint" you will prevent Ezio/Altair from running up walls when you are heading for a doorway. Hope that helped http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif
*Edit Oh and i really liked Mirrors Edge. + Mirrors Edge has a functionallity i really want in Assassins Creed, Diagonal Wallrun. Just think. "Running from guards on rooftop, runs to wall. Beginns Diagonal wallrun. Jumps from diagonal wallrun to swing pole" "Lands on the ground" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/inlove.gif

DarkeAmaterasu
12-21-2009, 05:53 AM
What really bugged me was the puzzles. You know the ones I'm talking about.
At first I didn't mind them because you can choose to do them or not. But then when I was working on a puzzle a friend of mine said, "Dude, what are you playing some history game?"
He didn't believe I was playing ACII since it didn't really fit though AC is historical fiction... What do you guys think?

the amolang
12-21-2009, 07:09 AM
hmm, so far I haven't had any major problems with freerunning in the cities or in the tombs (keep in mind I haven't finished the game so I might still run into it). Only some minor stuff, often when I am chasing pickpockets or messengers over the rooftops and the game doesn't do what I want and I either fall to the streets or I turn in a different direction, but nothing that has been so overly excruciating.

Ureh
12-21-2009, 03:06 PM
i didn't have those problems that Jdzspace say except in one tomb: the auditore family crypt!

the part where you trigger the gate then quickly swim. after that part the jumping was really strange.

AssassinJF13
12-22-2009, 12:54 PM
Ya, i will agree that sometimes i found Ezio doing things that weren't what i told him to do...

However, it happened very rarely, and even though it messed me up a few times (the fixed camera angle didnt help any, made it worse) in the timed tomb, i believe in venice (not the puzzle one, but the timed one where you got to get to the 4 ledges in time, water beneath you, lots of wall jumps).

ANYWAYZ...
I still absolutely love the Assassin's tombs throughout the game!! And to get Altair's armor, come on, is any more incentive really needed? For that alone i would do 15 of them, without it giving me an achievement, or contributing to a 100% synched, even if i didnt like them lol.