PDA

View Full Version : Aiming/ammo Vs Warship/Merchant

BiggBuddplz
07-05-2006, 04:47 PM
Have i got this right? Best to aim for waterline with "ap" for warship, "he" for merchant for best kill. Wot adv in aiming for Bridge for both warship/merchant? wot ammo best for bridge attack? and finanly wot adv in aiming for hull?
ps any help about aiming /ammo would help, plz keep advice about warship/merchant seperate thx Budd.

hueywolf123
07-05-2006, 05:56 PM
Ok, best method for me. Get on the deck gun yourself, AP on all ships @ waterline. Merchants will only need AP for the first two or three, then HE aimed at the damage spot on the waterline. You will find six shells accurately placed like this (2-3 AP, 3-4 HE), will take most merchant shipping out.
I took out a C3 with 6 shells once, never done it since though.
Warships, well depends on what you are facing, but anything above an armed trawler will outpace and out-turn you, so you need to be deadly accurate

Kaleun1961
07-05-2006, 06:06 PM
Huey, is your advice for regular SH3? Because of the number of players using Grey Wolves or NYGM Tonnage War mods, the advice for them may have to be slightly altered? What say the GW gunnery aces?

hueywolf123
07-05-2006, 06:11 PM
Not as yet, I'm trying hard to install the GW mod (read my help req'd 7zip thread), but yes I do understand that once on this mod it will be more taxing trying to take these guys out

mariuszj1939
07-06-2006, 01:31 AM
Warships, well depends on what you are facing, but anything above an armed trawler will outpace and out-turn you, so you need to be deadly accurate

I attacked once Nelson. She got two torps, stopped and turned to one side. I've done it (at night) from the other side ca 3 km from ship. Nelson sunk after 20 shots in waterline.

Grrbob25
07-06-2006, 12:00 PM
I attacked a Clemson from 6900 meters on a nice day with AP's and sunk her before she could fire back (but those were shots from a Type IX's 105mm)

cpt_Alex2006
07-06-2006, 12:17 PM
Always aim the gun yourself, get the sonar man to ping the target as each round reloads.
Until you get the judgement flip to target view as you fire, this will show you the fall of the rounds.

Its a pain as you must re range the gun when you aim again, but for the first few outings its the only way to get a feel for the shot.

As everything else experience brings gains.

Unfortunately starbursts do nothing, surely they would have been incendary, but in sh3 they just make the ship bright...

lecek
07-06-2006, 02:25 PM
Aiming AP and then HE on the waterline of a merchant is nothing but a waiste of AP. Merchants are not armored and an HE shell still penetrates the hull just fine.

I can and do take C2's and C3's down with 10 shots and often enough as few as 5. The trick is to hit just below the waterline and the ships weakspots. Especially about where the fuel and the engine room meet.

I use AP's on worships and merchant deckguns. After I run out of HE, I use AP the same way.

Whermacht02
07-06-2006, 02:29 PM
What works for me:
Merchants: AP at the waterline. HE on any part of the ship (specially the vulnerable parts, engine-fuel)
Warships: AP at the waterline by all means aimed for the vulnerable parts (ammo bunkers or fuel). If I dont have AP, I use HE aimed for the turrets. I was able to take out the turrets of a V&W i think with 23 HE rounds. After that I aimed for the ammo bunkers but shooting directly to the hull.

Besides that, one time I attacked one light cruiser (5000 tones one) with the deck gun of my TIXC. I was shooting out from 3800 - 3900 mtrs. I used ALL my AP rounds and 18 HE rounds to sink it... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Foehammer-1
07-06-2006, 02:42 PM
Back when I still had Grey wolves, I'd say the deck gun is useless in that mod. It sounds great, but the reload takes forever (i'm impatient, I admit it). The damage is not great. It took me most of my AP and HE ammo to sink a small merchant with waterline shots. So I imagine a firefight with a destroyer would be suicidal.

Kaleun1961
07-06-2006, 03:42 PM
Which it should be!