PDA

View Full Version : slow motion attacks

lightning667
08-19-2011, 03:50 PM
The gamescon trailer and even the e3 demo shows exiles doing these slow motion killing moves.
I know some people like them and how they look but I seem to find them annoying and just get ****ed of watching them in the trailer.

Does anybody think that there will be a way to shut that off cause I'm really hoping so.
It's gonna impact how much I really enjoy the game.

LightRey
08-19-2011, 03:52 PM
There's already a thread about this and apparently it's only slow motion for the last kill in a group of enemies.

NewBlade200
08-19-2011, 06:15 PM
Whenever there's slow motion in a game I always groan out loud (especially during that one lair of Romulus). I don't see how Ubi thinks this will draw people in. Do they really expect people to say 'wow' to a scene in slow motion because it has slow motion? It adds nothing to the experience except the feeling of overall genericness.

Regardless, how cool will it be to see your new combo kills in slow motion? Pretty <STRIKE>vomit inducing </STRIKE> cool, right? Now how cool will it be after 15-20 hours?

It will only exist to make the combat seem just the tiniest bit relevant, before making them even more tedious than before.

Calvarok
08-19-2011, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by NewBlade200:
Whenever there's slow motion in a game I always groan out loud (especially during that one lair of Romulus). I don't see how Ubi thinks this will draw people in. Do they really expect people to say 'wow' to a scene in slow motion because it has slow motion? It adds nothing to the experience except the feeling of overall genericness.

Regardless, how cool will it be to see your new combo kills in slow motion? Pretty <STRIKE>vomit inducing </STRIKE> cool, right? Now how cool will it be after 15-20 hours?

It will only exist to make the combat seem just the tiniest bit relevant, before making them even more tedious than before.
Calm down. It only does that on your last kill int he room, and there will be an option to turn it off. In fact, combat is over so quick against normal guards that it's a good thing just that the slow-mo extends the time in combat. Assassin's Creed has so many good animations, and they're adding so many new ones for revelations. I'd hate to not be able to see any of them in their full glory.

Slow motion is generic in CGI trailers, but it is never bad in a game that has beautiful animations, if used sparingly. And I think the way it's used is quite tasteful, and makes the combat feel more like a proper part of the game, expecially combined with the better camera angles for the kills. And we do know that they're taking steps to make combat less repetitive and more engaging, not to mention control better. in that video, the targeting immediately switched to the next guard after he took the other one down, it looked a lot slicker.

Basically, combat is faster than ever in ACR, and if you can't stand a little bit of extra time being added on to it, then by all means, turn it off. But some of us actually enjoy looking at the creative animations in full detail.

NewBlade200
08-19-2011, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Calvarok:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NewBlade200:

Calm down. It only does that on your last kill int he room, and there will be an option to turn it off. In fact, combat is over so quick against normal guards that it's a good thing just that the slow-mo extends the time in combat. Assassin's Creed has so many good animations, and they're adding so many new ones for revelations. I'd hate to not be able to see any of them in their full glory.

Slow motion is generic in CGI trailers, but it is never bad in a game that has beautiful animations, if used sparingly. And I think the way it's used is quite tasteful, and makes the combat feel more like a proper part of the game, expecially combined with the better camera angles for the kills. And we do know that they're taking steps to make combat less repetitive and more engaging, not to mention control better. in that video, the targeting immediately switched to the next guard after he took the other one down, it looked a lot slicker.

Basically, combat is faster than ever in ACR, and if you can't stand a little bit of extra time being added on to it, then by all means, turn it off. But some of us actually enjoy looking at the creative animations in full detail. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I understand that I cannot change your opinion, but you must see the logic of questioning their motives for adding in a feature like this when we haven't had a problem with seeing the kills before. It doesn't matter to me anyway, as I'm not getting the game.

Calvarok
08-19-2011, 06:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Calvarok:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NewBlade200:

Basically, combat is faster than ever in ACR, and if you can't stand a little bit of extra time being added on to it, then by all means, turn it off. But some of us actually enjoy looking at the creative animations in full detail. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I understand that I cannot change your opinion, but you must see the logic of questioning their motives for adding in a feature like this when we haven't had a problem with seeing the kills before. It doesn't matter to me anyway, as I'm not getting the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Just because we haven't had a problem seeing them occur doesn't mean that they don't look better with the new camera angles or in slo-mo.

Their motives are solely presentation. I don't know how you could think otherwise. Also, if you're not buying the game, then you have some other bias that's making you take this very simple and small feature so badly. So I don't think this is a fair and objective argument.

LightRey
08-19-2011, 06:47 PM
I understand that I cannot change your opinion, but you must see the logic of questioning their motives for adding in a feature like this when we haven't had a problem with seeing the kills before. It doesn't matter to me anyway, as I'm not getting the game.
Seriously? 9 minutes of gameplay only a few seconds of which was actual combat and you're already judging one of its features without actually experiencing it?
Also, if you're not getting the game, why do you even care?

NewBlade200
08-19-2011, 07:02 PM
I'm not taking this badly. What I'm doing is pointing out my opinion. The reason I'm not getting the game is because they seem to be making it look less than the quality that I'm used to in my games. If not for the fact that its an AC game I would ignore it entirely.

Now, I suspect that we have very different opinions and our own biases that will stop us from agreeing, so there is no real reason to continue our argument, is there?

Calvarok
08-19-2011, 07:06 PM
Because he enjoys whining on the forums about how the game isn't perfect, even though it's getting a lot better. I understand that there are flaws in the formula, but with each game they fix every single existing system that is good, throw out the ones that are bad, and introduce new ones. And never have they done this more than with Revelations. Even AC2 didn't have as many new significant mechanics as this, what with the new bombs, eagle sense, and the hookblade, which affects basically everything, including the most complained about part: the freerunning. Watching a few multipalyer videos that show it in use, I am extremely impressed and excited that I'm going to play an Assassins creed game with new animations for climbing for once, not to mention new speed for climbing.

Brotherhood felt like a lesser but still good sequel to me. Revelations is shaping up to be better in terms of the leap of innovation than AC2.

Random events, so after the game is done I don't even have to replay missions to experience actual content, actual fleshed out side mission assassinations for the multiplayer characters, Assassins dens that can be attacked by templars, more involvement with recruits, 3 different types of bombs and about 4 subtypes in each category, better cinematics an action sequences which are more interactive and build off of the actual gameplay, Eagle sense allowing me to truly observe my surroundings and plan, enhanced freedom of movement through the hookblade allowing you to zipline, climb faster, do new freerunning actions such as launching yourself from a swinging pot, and grab enemies during combat, and also through the moving attack system, which allows me to enter or exit combat in a stylish and quick way, without slowing my pace, an enhanced graphics engine, TWO giant free-roam cities in vibrant and interesting locations, and even more story missions that take place in unique locations and maps! Not to mention the redone visual style of the Animus , and the Desmond gameplay in the black room, AND the seals gameplay featuring set-pieces from Altair's life!

AND Multiplayer with better servers, more abilities, and streamlined UI and content!

Wow. That makes every other AC look sparse on content. and apparantly you still bought THEM for 60 bucks.

EDIT: AC's level of quality gets higher with every game. this is evident in almost every facet of it. I have seen many worse game series that wait several years before releasing the next one.

NewBlade200
08-19-2011, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by LightRey:
I understand that I cannot change your opinion, but you must see the logic of questioning their motives for adding in a feature like this when we haven't had a problem with seeing the kills before. It doesn't matter to me anyway, as I'm not getting the game.
Seriously? 9 minutes of gameplay only a few seconds of which was actual combat and you're already judging one of its features without actually experiencing it?
Also, if you're not getting the game, why do you even care? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I care because I want this game to be worth me buying it. I want to get this game and I want to love it, but Ubi has given me next to nothing to be excited for. I'm trying to find something to convince me to get this game. I, unfortunately, don't have the money to get every game on a whim and hope its good.

LightRey
08-19-2011, 07:12 PM
Because he enjoys whining on the forums about how the game isn't perfect, even though it's getting a lot better. I understand that there are flaws in the formula, but with each game they fix every single existing system that is good, throw out the ones that are bad, and introduce new ones. And never have they done this more than with Revelations. Even AC2 didn't have as many new significant mechanics as this, what with the new bombs, eagle sense, and the hookblade, which affects basically everything, including the most complained about part: the freerunning. Watching a few multipalyer videos that show it in use, I am extremely impressed and excited that I'm going to play an Assassins creed game with new animations for climbing for once, not to mention new speed for climbing.

Brotherhood felt like a lesser but still good sequel to me. Revelations is shaping up to be better in terms of the leap of innovation than AC2.

Random events, so after the game is done I don't even have to replay missions to experience actual content, actual fleshed out side mission assassinations for the multiplayer characters, Assassins dens that can be attacked by templars, more involvement with recruits, 3 different types of bombs and about 4 subtypes in each category, better cinematics an action sequences which are more interactive and build off of the actual gameplay, Eagle sense allowing me to truly observe my surroundings and plan, enhanced freedom of movement through the hookblade allowing you to zipline, climb faster, do new freerunning actions such as launching yourself from a swinging pot, and grab enemies during combat, and also through the moving attack system, which allows me to enter or exit combat in a stylish and quick way, without slowing my pace, an enhanced graphics engine, TWO giant free-roam cities in vibrant and interesting locations, and even more story missions that take place in unique locations and maps! Not to mention the redone visual style of the Animus , and the Desmond gameplay in the black room, AND the seals gameplay featuring set-pieces from Altair's life!

AND Multiplayer with better servers, more abilities, and streamlined UI and content!

Wow. That makes every other AC look sparse on content. and apparantly you still bought THEM for 60 bucks.
Wow, your post made me realize just how awesome this game is going to be. I'm so glad I pre-ordered the Animus Edition.
I'm also excited about getting a more personal connection with the recruits. They were cool in ACB, but I never even got to a point where I could remember their names.

NewBlade200
08-19-2011, 07:16 PM

Wow. That makes every other AC look sparse on content. and apparantly you still bought THEM for 60 bucks. Now I tried to be polite and end this conversation before I had to be rude, but there you just plain insulted me!

I'm not going to argue with you. Especially if you're going to be a child about it.

Calvarok
08-19-2011, 07:17 PM
I only stated what you were doing. You weren't complaining about actual problems, you were complaining about a fun optional feature. That's what we call whining.

I'm not being a child. I'm just fed up of your steadfast ignorance of the actual facts of what exactly is going to be in this game.

LightRey
08-19-2011, 07:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LightRey:
Also, if you're not getting the game, why do you even care? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I care because I want this game to be worth me buying it. I want to get this game and I want to love it, but Ubi has given me next to nothing to be excited for. I'm trying to find something to convince me to get this game. I, unfortunately, don't have the money to get every game on a whim and hope its good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Exactly what would you get excited for?

Calvarok
08-19-2011, 07:31 PM
He'd get excited for an overhauled combat system, I'm sure. So would I, but I think that the system the created in brotherhood was good enough, the enemies just need to be more agressive, do more damage, and have more tricks.

I understand where you're coming from, but quite honestly, I can't see how you're missing the things that they HAVE overhauled and added. If you remember when Brotherhood came out, they had barely told us any new features besides the Brotherhood system, and that was quite shallow and the only real new thing. And they hadn't left any features to be secrets, either. They just told us "Killstreaks, Parachute, Assassins". Each of those features was really minor, except for the killstreaks. And here we have about 4 actual legitemately new and impactful features, and you don't feel excited.

That's the part of you I don't get.

NewBlade200
08-19-2011, 07:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LightRey:
Also, if you're not getting the game, why do you even care? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I care because I want this game to be worth me buying it. I want to get this game and I want to love it, but Ubi has given me next to nothing to be excited for. I'm trying to find something to convince me to get this game. I, unfortunately, don't have the money to get every game on a whim and hope its good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Exactly what would you get excited for? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Gameplay in which they show guards with a resistance to the kill chains (making the fights feel sort of like Batman: AA) and a level in which it shows the guards parrying Ezio's attacks while not stopping the chain. Sort of like the Borgia captains only they take damage from the chain.

NewBlade200
08-19-2011, 07:38 PM
He'd get excited for an overhauled combat system, I'm sure. So would I, but I think that the system the created in brotherhood was good enough, the enemies just need to be more agressive, do more damage, and have more tricks.

I understand where you're coming from, but quite honestly, I can't see how you're missing the things that they HAVE overhauled and added. If you remember when Brotherhood came out, they had barely told us any new features besides the Brotherhood system, and that was quite shallow and the only real new thing. And they hadn't left any features to be secrets, either. They just told us "Killstreaks, Parachute, Assassins". Each of those features was really minor, except for the killstreaks. And here we have about 4 actual legitemately new and impactful features, and you don't feel excited.

That's the part of you I don't get. Well I have been wondering lately if I've just stopped being excited for the AC games out of some natural immunity.

LightRey
08-19-2011, 07:44 PM
Gameplay in which they show guards with a resistance to the kill chains (making the fights feel sort of like Batman: AA) and a level in which it shows the guards parrying Ezio's attacks while not stopping the chain. Sort of like the Borgia captains only they take damage from the chain.
Well, have fun not enjoying the game I guess. I'll be playing it till my thumbs fall off.

NewBlade200
08-19-2011, 07:50 PM
Gameplay in which they show guards with a resistance to the kill chains (making the fights feel sort of like Batman: AA) and a level in which it shows the guards parrying Ezio's attacks while not stopping the chain. Sort of like the Borgia captains only they take damage from the chain.
Well, have fun not enjoying the game I guess. I'll be playing it till my thumbs fall off. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Well I technically won't be able to enjoy it if I don't get it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif Tell me how the game is once you finish it. I'll want to know how it is, and whether or not its worth buying http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Calvarok
08-19-2011, 07:50 PM
Well we don't really know if some guards will be able to do what you say, so I think it would be best to keep waiting. That actually sounds fantastic.

And I guess it's just one of those things. I'm convinced that Brotherhood seemed a little bit less engaging to me because the setting was not very fresh, although Rome was beautiful it was still Italy, and because the story wasn't as good. The first glimpse of Revelations story has so far been far better than the first glimpse of Brotherhood's story, so I'm encouraged by that. I would say taht iw ould be better to wait untill they've released the video interview series that they always do before making your decision, and if at that point you really just feel that you're tired of AC, I suggest to definately go play other games, and then snap up revelations later when Ubisoft discounts it. (they usually discount it really fast)

I'm sorry if I seemed a little antagonistic, I tend to forget what tone I started each post in.

LightRey
08-19-2011, 07:58 PM
Well, have fun not enjoying the game I guess. I'll be playing it till my thumbs fall off. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Well I technically won't be able to enjoy it if I don't get it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif Tell me how the game is once you finish it. I'll want to know how it is, and whether or not its worth buying http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
sure np. I'll probably flood the forum with and endless stream of theories and comments about the new features after my first playthrough.

Animuses
08-19-2011, 08:01 PM
@NewBlade200
I don't know why you even bought Brotherhood. They didn't show off much, and it wasn't very appealing. Now they are showing us new additions to gameplay which aren't minor tweaks, but major elements and you're not going to buy it?
Doesn't make any sense to me.

NewBlade200
08-19-2011, 08:10 PM
I bought ACB because I was caught in the hype. It sort of disappointed me so I'm more skeptical now. Its actually sort of depressing how hard I'm trying to get back into the hype, but I just can't seem to do it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Calvarok
08-19-2011, 08:14 PM
I bought ACB because I was caught in the hype. It sort of disappointed me so I'm more skeptical now. Its actually sort of depressing how hard I'm trying to get back into the hype, but I just can't seem to do it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Most of ACB's hype was based in dreamland. Patrice was like "You can create an army of assassins to take over rome, each one is unique and customizable" which was total BS. Their differences were skin deep, and at max level they all looked the same. plus the only times they interact with anything is when you summon them out of the ether with a button press.

ACR's hype is based on meaningful additions to the gameplay, and improved content in general. That's proper priorities.

NewBlade200
08-19-2011, 08:17 PM
Well we don't really know if some guards will be able to do what you say, so I think it would be best to keep waiting. That actually sounds fantastic.

And I guess it's just one of those things. I'm convinced that Brotherhood seemed a little bit less engaging to me because the setting was not very fresh, although Rome was beautiful it was still Italy, and because the story wasn't as good. The first glimpse of Revelations story has so far been far better than the first glimpse of Brotherhood's story, so I'm encouraged by that. I would say taht iw ould be better to wait untill they've released the video interview series that they always do before making your decision, and if at that point you really just feel that you're tired of AC, I suggest to definately go play other games, and then snap up revelations later when Ubisoft discounts it. (they usually discount it really fast)

I'm sorry if I seemed a little antagonistic, I tend to forget what tone I started each post in. You're right, I should wait until they are finished making videos before I make my final decision. The problem is even if I want it I mightn't be able to get it. I had to sell my last bit of Winter pot to afford ACB.

Calvarok
08-19-2011, 08:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Calvarok:

I'm sorry if I seemed a little antagonistic, I tend to forget what tone I started each post in. You're right, I should wait until they are finished making videos before I make my final decision. The problem is even if I want it I mightn't be able to get it. I had to sell my last bit of Winter pot to afford ACB. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ah well, as I said, Ubisoft usually discounts within about a month.

NewBlade200
08-19-2011, 08:31 PM
Are we alienating the other people who want to post? Most of this thread has been the same conversation/argument/passive aggressive lamenting that is only marginally related to the topic.

Calvarok
08-19-2011, 08:50 PM
Well this topic doesn't really serve much of a purpose anyways. "Cor blimey I think they done put in slow motion" What else is there to say?

NewBlade200
08-19-2011, 08:58 PM
He/she asked if anyone thought there would be a way to disable it. Threads can closed for not sticking to the topic. That wouldn't be fair on others who might have an answer or opinion.

ProdiGurl
08-19-2011, 09:04 PM
I LOVE slo-mo kills - but I probly wouldn't prefer that all of them were in slo-mo everywhere... doesn't sound like that will be an issue from these posts.

I just watched the ACR Trailer and was blown away by some of those moves. =D