PDA

View Full Version : Rear gunners/ % of disabled but not destroyed enemy ai's aeroplanes

signalnorth
06-01-2005, 03:44 PM
Hi everyone. Two areas I'd be interested in hearing from people on. Firstly is the matter of the ability or non-ability in my case of being able to 'kill' rear gunners on FB/ PF. Am I just a bad shot or is this a progamming oversight as I find it very difficult if not impossible to do? Secondly I'm always surprised at the low number of times percentage wise that one can disable an enemy aeroplane so that it ends up crash-landing/ditching. I don't know what in reality the proportion of crash-landings/ditchings were compared to outright 'destroys' but I can't help feelig that it was probably higher than what we see from the ai planes in the sim . Please don't take this as a critisim of what is a fabulous sim, just interested to hear what other people think. While I'm on, what's the best tutorial for newbies like myself who want to make their own skins? Kindest regards to all.

signalnorth
06-01-2005, 03:44 PM
Hi everyone. Two areas I'd be interested in hearing from people on. Firstly is the matter of the ability or non-ability in my case of being able to 'kill' rear gunners on FB/ PF. Am I just a bad shot or is this a progamming oversight as I find it very difficult if not impossible to do? Secondly I'm always surprised at the low number of times percentage wise that one can disable an enemy aeroplane so that it ends up crash-landing/ditching. I don't know what in reality the proportion of crash-landings/ditchings were compared to outright 'destroys' but I can't help feelig that it was probably higher than what we see from the ai planes in the sim . Please don't take this as a critisim of what is a fabulous sim, just interested to hear what other people think. While I'm on, what's the best tutorial for newbies like myself who want to make their own skins? Kindest regards to all.

Covino
06-01-2005, 04:22 PM
When I sit down right behind a friendly bomber, I can easily take careful aim and pluck off each gunner at will if I have nose guns, makes good target practice. However, I think some gunners may need a couple of hits due to some hits only wounding the gunner (happens to you as well, the red screen effect).
However, you really shouldn't be in such a position where taking such easy shots is possible because it's easy for the gunners as well. You ought to be making wide slashing attacks, sweeping accross the bombers flight path or coming head-on.
If you think the gunner hitbox is messed up or something, you could get as a gunner in a TB-3 and pretty much kill almost your entire crew, and you'll see the hitboxes and such work pretty well considering this isn't a first-person shooter.

Also, I agree with you on the amount of ditches the AI makes. They tend to be pretty aggressive and rarely attemt to diengage/ditch until they're missing a wing or more. Also, when they look like they're attemping to ditch (or maybe they're just having trouble keeping the plane aloft) they pay no attention to forests so many times it's instant death.

SeaFireLIV
06-01-2005, 05:11 PM
I find taking out enemy gunners realistic. It all depends on your aim, steadiness and an element of luck. It`s not wise to sit behind an enemy bomber trying to hit the gunner, as he may very well hit you, but if I sweep past several times and continually attack I`ll usually kill not only the rear bomber, but the belly gunner and sometimes top gunner.

Of course what I would normally do is just go for the wings as it is much easier to fire his engine or take his wing off than kill the gunner. Going all out for the gunner is a little silly because you have a large fuselage space which you`ll be mostly filling with lead by the time you hit him - all that lead`s better used on the engines or wings imho.

I`ve had the AI crashland quite a few times. I have the habit of leaving fighters when they spill thick smoke (a little dangerous as sometimes the AI still fights), after a bit they`ll try a controlled landing.

I couldn`t say if the percentage is true to life, but how are we to be sure? Often the AI is fretting about you or other enemies near him and he may have to navigate undulating terrain (which he probably can`y handle) even as he`s going down.

It seems ok to me anyway.