PDA

View Full Version : MODs for NEWBS

blubalou
08-14-2006, 02:50 PM
Sounds like TGW is pretty awesome, but it also sounds like it makes things even more challenging. I'm still new to SH III. I only have 2 patrols in the books and in both cases I chased a lone ship down and was unable to sink it due to poor marksmanship on my part.

So should I stick with the stock for a while then go to TGW once I learn what I am doing or just go for it?

What's a noob to do?!

Fish40
08-14-2006, 03:04 PM
I say GO for it!! GW is an awesome mod, and although it dose make some things more challangeing, it keeps things balanced for the newcomer.

There are many guides on the net on how to set up attacks on ships in SH3. It may seem overwhelming at first, but believe me, with alittle practice, you'll be sending your share of ships to the bottom! The people on this forum are a good bunch. Don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it. Good Luck.

aaronblood
08-14-2006, 05:30 PM
I logged almost 80 hrs on the thing before even starting to play with mods...

I'd say ease into it. It's a great sub sim on it's own merit. The patches though! Make sure you've got the latest patches!

baggygreen
08-14-2006, 06:40 PM
Yeh, id have to say hold off a bit.. i've had the game more than a year and only just swapped to TGW last week.. and its a struggle to sink much more than 2 or 3 ships now - thats what i find anyways.

Fish40
08-15-2006, 02:23 AM
Posted Mon August 14 2006 17:40
Yeh, id have to say hold off a bit.. i've had the game more than a year and only just swapped to TGW last week.. and its a struggle to sink much more than 2 or 3 ships now - thats what i find anyways.

I agree that it's harder to sink ships with GW only in the sense that they sink more realisticly now. The basic attack principles (tracking down, and setting up a torpedo sotution) remain the same. Even in the stock, unmodded game you must apply these steps.

baggygreen
08-15-2006, 03:11 AM
Oh yeh, the basic principles are the same, but now while you might have gotten the fuel bunker before and created a massive explosion, now its more likely to punch a hole in the ship and you have to wait. Whereas before maybe 6 of 10 would blow before its not about 1/10 - now they sit there, getting to that frustrating point where the watter is lapping at the decks and they just wont sink.