PDA

View Full Version : Gunsights(No NOT Shift F1!)

ytareh
09-29-2005, 10:47 AM
I know people regularly post that they cant use axis gunsights but whats with the sights on some of the "blue" planes eg late 109/Fw190 etc.Other planes have a choice of two modes for sight -fixed or more realistic floating style pipper.Now in these particular planes the "alternative" to the fixed sight seems to be unusable (too far to the right?) Is it just meant to be an 'out of the way'/line of sight mode for when not in combat or what?Other planes the pipper/centre dot slips out of sight if turning to steeply.Can you shift the sight over to the left somehow?Thanks!

ytareh
09-29-2005, 10:47 AM
I know people regularly post that they cant use axis gunsights but whats with the sights on some of the "blue" planes eg late 109/Fw190 etc.Other planes have a choice of two modes for sight -fixed or more realistic floating style pipper.Now in these particular planes the "alternative" to the fixed sight seems to be unusable (too far to the right?) Is it just meant to be an 'out of the way'/line of sight mode for when not in combat or what?Other planes the pipper/centre dot slips out of sight if turning to steeply.Can you shift the sight over to the left somehow?Thanks!

cueceleches
09-29-2005, 11:21 AM
As for the floating pipper you´re talking about, I think only the P-51 has it, and maybe the P-47, not sure. It is not more realistic, just historically acurate. And quite useful BTW, though some people do not like it.

I can´t figure out what your problem is with its alignment, as I see it perfectly centered on the "hud"...

Diablo310th
09-29-2005, 11:33 AM
Only the P-51D20 has the K-14 site.

ytareh
09-29-2005, 11:35 AM
...Even in the 190?Anyway Ive found some user defined keys Im gonna experiment with....Methinks "Adjust sight control to left" might just be relevant!!!!!!I know ,I know 'read the manual'!Sorry guys....Now I cant seem to take off fromm carriers and get my gear up/down in my Wildcat.....lol.....

Waldo.Pepper
09-29-2005, 11:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Adjust sight control to left" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This refers to the bombsight on He-111 and a few others.

ytareh
09-29-2005, 11:44 AM
Yeah Ive just found out that thats not related to 190 gunsight at all.So the question remains how do I turn my half gunsight into a full one!?

lbhskier37
09-29-2005, 12:01 PM
Are you referring to the auxilary iron sight on some American planes? If so, they are just there for show, would be neat to use them though.

ytareh
09-29-2005, 12:23 PM
No my problem is that on the Fw190 and late BF109s the Toggle Gunsight (Shift F1)button displays an "unusuable"Gunsight in one of the two(floating) options

HoneySeeker
09-29-2005, 12:25 PM
The German planes have the gunsight offset to the right, so that when you toggle gunsight off, they are no longer in your line of sight. So ultimately... yes. Shift-F1 *is* the solution to your problem. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ytareh
09-29-2005, 12:58 PM
I thought the toggle was between fixed and floating sight not in/out of line of vision.Fair enough Me262 is obvious exception and some eg PZL P11 just seem to chop off half the front fuselage when you shift F1 to get better view.So there is no floating -more realistic-sight in these axis planes?

LEBillfish
09-29-2005, 01:34 PM
Imagine when the sight unit itself seems offset to the right, the recital only partly on it...You are sitting back in your seat in the most comfortable position centered.......However, when you press "shift+F1" and the sight seems to center, you are leaning forward to the sight to look directly through it.

The sight is not shifting, it's your position in the plane.

ytareh
09-29-2005, 01:46 PM
...but then how come one mode of sight when viewed "floats" while the other is "fixed" if the very one that you can actually see is the fixed?To put it another way is it not possible to use a floating sight with 190?

HoneySeeker
09-29-2005, 03:09 PM
No.

The 'floating' position is the normal head position. Since the Allied planes have centrally-mounted sights, you can use them in this view, even though your head is unsteady. The 'fixed' position is meant to mimic the effect of deliberately leaning forward to aim through the sight, bracing yourself to do so.

LEBillfish
09-29-2005, 03:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ytareh:
...but then how come one mode of sight when viewed "floats" while the other is "fixed" if the very one that you can actually see is the fixed?To put it another way is it not possible to use a floating sight with 190? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because you are leaned back away from the sight not fixing on it....your head rocks and moves, your orientation to the sight changes with every bump and turn....When hitting shiftF! you are leaning forward fixing on just looking through the sight.

LEBillfish
09-29-2005, 03:21 PM
Better still......if you have 408 posts here then you probably know better....so the answer is "no" you can't.

ytareh
09-29-2005, 04:16 PM
I could have sworn that I read somewhere that the gunsight even on the "primitive" planes was a fairly complicated piece of kit with a cross shaped beam of light focussed up through a "crystal" ball " of glass (thats clear to see)AND that the whole set up was linked to some kind of gyroscopic sensor which moved the sight around to compensate for movement of the plane.This is what I describe as the "floating "mode unless Im mistaken.Are you guys sure that the motion is just as simple as headshake?

ytareh
09-29-2005, 04:24 PM
OK I stand corrected!I tried a quick mission messing with difficulties and turning off headshake disables my so called floating gunsight.Thanks for the info.Guess I was thinking of the K14 one.

LeadSpitter_
09-29-2005, 07:59 PM
hopefully BOB will have a better gunsite system where center screen is not the only fireing point so half the ac in game are unfuctional in both views defeating the purpose of have 2 views.

alpha cut revi reflections and each ac can have guns lined up on sight in both views.

Tully__
09-29-2005, 08:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ytareh:
No my problem is that on the Fw190 and late BF109s the Toggle Gunsight (Shift F1)button displays an "unusuable"Gunsight in one of the two(floating) options </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Shift F1 does not change the gunsight in any aircraft. It changes your seating position.

The "floating" selection is the pilot sitting back in his seat in the relaxed cruise seating position. The "fixed" option (full reticle visible in the 190 & 109) is the pilot crouched forward (and slightly to the right in 109/190) to peer through the sight.

When in the former position the pilot is not braced as much against g-forces and smaller movements are required to make the reticle drift, so it moves about quite a bit. In the latter position the pilot is concentrating on his sight and it takes a much larger movement of his head to make the reticle drift out of the reflector screen, so the reticle appears much more stable.

In the "floating" (relaxed cruise) setting the Luftwaffe reticle appears cut off because the sight is mounted a couple of inches right of centre and the pilot is not lined up with the reflector screen properly. This is how it worked in the real aircraft (though it wouldn't be as obvious if the pilot in the sim had two eyes http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif)

Kuna15
09-29-2005, 08:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Waldo.Pepper:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Adjust sight control to left" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This refers to the bombsight on He-111 and a few others. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes Waldo is right that is bombsite control for level bombers. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Skycat_2
09-29-2005, 10:18 PM
... and I believe that when you're using the K-14 sight with the gyroscopic pipper activated, the same button for 'adjust left' on the bomb sights will change also the target wingspan presets on the K-14.

Zjoek
09-30-2005, 06:09 AM
Talking about gunsights... What's with the Oscar gunsight? When I look through it, all I see is some black cover or something....

Skycat_2
09-30-2005, 07:23 AM
Control+D ... Or whatever you used for gunsight dimmer.

(I had to check and edit http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif )

major_setback
09-30-2005, 09:28 AM
Out of curiosity, how does the gunsight work in Wings of Victory. Can you lean towards/into the gunsight using the 6 degrees of fredom you get from TrackIR's vector expansion.

Anybody know?