PDA

View Full Version : AAA Range & Accuracy Issues

Blutarski2004
04-05-2006, 06:59 AM
I ran across this data in one of my books (FM101-10, Staff Officer's Field Manual, 1949). It may be interesting/useful to anyone working on this AAA accuracy issue with Professor Oleg. It relates to US weapons of WW2 design, but the basic data will be applicable to foreign weapons of similar design and performance.

All distances are given as Slant Ranges in yards, in the following sequence:

Max Deterrent / Max Killing / Effective Killing

40mm AA,
director
control --- 3500 / 2500 / 1500-400

40mm AA,
M7 sight
control --- 3500 / 1500 / 1000-400

50cal MG -- 1800 / 900 / 500-0

Notes:
(1) The minimum range values given under Effective Killing range is related to maximum tracking rates against crossing targets. The minimum killing range would approach zero against a target flying directly toward the gun.

(2) The expected hit percentage within the Effective Killing range of a director controlled 40mm gun is given as 4 percent of shots fired.

An aircraft flying at approx 300 mph moves about 150 yards per second, giving a maximum possible engagement time with Effective Killing distance of 10 seconds under best conditions. A 40mm gun can fire approx 20 rounds in 10 seconds. Therefore, there is about an 80 pct statistical likelihood of an aircraft target being hit by one round under engagement conditions within the Effective Killing distance zone which are completely ideal for the AA gun.

chris455
04-05-2006, 01:57 PM
(2) The expected hit percentage within the Effective Killing range of a director controlled 40mm gun is given as 4 percent of shots fired

In FB, this statistic is apparently reversed, with 4 percent of all shots missing the target, the remaining 96% going directly into the oil cooler of my engine. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

RCAF_Irish_403
04-11-2006, 03:40 PM
one flak gun in FB=many in RL

BfHeFwMe
04-11-2006, 10:26 PM
that/doesn't = simulation http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

FritzGryphon
04-11-2006, 11:48 PM
So you mean, if a plane were to fly directly over a 40mm cannon with a director at 300mph, it'd be 80% likely to be hit

That's far more accurate than the PF Bofors AA.

I can't test it right now, but I don't imagine the Bofors could hit you even half of the time, under those conditions.

The AAA is not, as some might complain about, uniformly over-accurate. In many cases, the AA fails to hit under very easy conditions, and is much worse than RL capabilities. A human controlled TB-3 is often better flak than many of these computer controlled AA guns.

WWMaxGunz
04-12-2006, 12:38 PM
The range of AA is either mission or server controllable with default of very long range.

If it's a server option only then still a single player can run MP without net connect or
use a PW if you can't disconnect and then run a coop MP campaign. You can then set limited
icons as well and the AA delay to boot.

|CoB|_Spectre
04-12-2006, 02:46 PM
It's been my observation that, while you can set the gun's range radius within which an air target must fly before the gun begins shooting, once it starts, it will continue to target and shoot at extreme ranges. It would be nice if there was symmetry in this so that AAA behavior was more human-like.

luftluuver
04-12-2006, 03:38 PM
So should the light/medium AA be set to effective range plus say 10%?

Blutarski2004
04-12-2006, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by FritzGryphon:
So you mean, if a plane were to fly directly over a 40mm cannon with a director at 300mph, it'd be 80% likely to be hit

That's far more accurate than the PF Bofors AA.

I can't test it right now, but I don't imagine the Bofors could hit you even half of the time, under those conditions.

The AAA is not, as some might complain about, uniformly over-accurate. In many cases, the AA fails to hit under very easy conditions, and is much worse than RL capabilities. A human controlled TB-3 is often better flak than many of these computer controlled AA guns.

..... Your post got me thinking. This is an interesting statistical question and maybe I'm going about things incorrectly. Hopefully someone here can confirm or correct me.

The manual states as follows regarding the fire of a director-controlled 40mm auto-cannon in the AA role within "Effective Killing Slant Range":

"Average hit expectancy, or number of hits expected, per 100 rounds fired is 4 percent."

No mention is made as to whether this hit value is based upon test firings or actual battle experience.

My value of 0.80 hits was based upon an assumption of ideal engagement conditions, i.e. - an already acquired and continuously visible target a/c flying directly toward the gun position at 300 mph, which would permit engagement from 1500 to 0 yds. That represents 10 seconds of engagement time. The gun is credited with a RoF of 120 rpm in auto-fire mode, which = 2 rounds per second, which = 20 rounds fired in 10 seconds. 4 percent of 20 - 0.80 hits.

If we assume the 4 percent value is based upon tests and not upon battle experience, perhaps that should be halved to 2 percent.

How many "director-controlled medium caliber AA was out there compare dto manually sighted guns? Don't know, altough I's bet that the great majority were NOT director-controlled.. Without director-control, perhaps that 2 percent should be halved again to 1 percent. That would represent a 1 in 5 chance of being hit.