PDA

View Full Version : F4F-X... The Gear



BigA21
10-28-2004, 06:01 PM
Gentlemen,

Has anyone been able to extend or retract the landing gear on the Wildcats?

I have not been successful cycling the gear in several different missions and this has been confirmed on a friend PF as well.

Thought it was the same old "G" key.

FI.Spitsfire
10-28-2004, 06:02 PM
Manual gear http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif You have to assign buttons http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

heywooood
10-28-2004, 06:07 PM
in flight in qmb..pause the game and press Esc..

go to controls...scroll down about halfway...click on the screen off to the right of where it says 'lower landing gear- manually'
and 'raise landing gear-manually' and press any unassigned key (or reassign any key you prefer)
......thats how it works in all other Maddox
sims..you can assign all sorts of controls here.

click 'apply' and back to flying,bro.

oh yeah - in all manual L/G airplanes you must 'pump' the key until the gear is locked...dont just press once or press and hold..mmm-kay?
Remember - you have to do this for each pilot you create!

BigA21
10-28-2004, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the help.

I did read the readme before the install last night, and checked the 1st page of the boards for related posts 1st as well. I missed this detail in that extravagant text file.

Folding wings ....but manual gear I am surprised.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Thank you again.

heywooood
10-28-2004, 06:20 PM
nobody reads the readme...they should call it what it is...'ignoreme' or 'fleb'... no one would even notice 'cept the perfessers.

rodion_zero
10-28-2004, 07:08 PM
I think it requires about 20 "pumps" (20 keystrokes), but to be sure, I press the down-pump key 25 times while lining up for a carrier landing, so that I don't need to press F2 to check if it's fully extended http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

-RODION

Tater-SW-
10-28-2004, 07:46 PM
The real thing took 29 turns of the crank. You can watch the crank and count, I would, but we don't have it yet.

tater

SkyChimp
10-28-2004, 08:19 PM
Lets see Tater, I don't have it either. That's because as of 7:00pm+ Thursday, October 28, 2004, none of the following had it:

Wal Mart
Target
Comp USA
EB Games
Gamespot

Well, Gamespot claims they got one (1) copy today, but sold it. EB states it wouldn't be out until 10/30. They couldn't believe Gamespot had a copy because EB get everything first.

UBI's ability to get this game to the consumer is, well, peculiar.

rodion_zero
10-28-2004, 08:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tater-SW-:
The real thing took 29 turns of the crank. You can watch the crank and count, I would, but we don't have it yet.

tater <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I stand corrected...just tried it now...looked at external view and counted. Took me 46 taps of the gear down "pump" key to fully extract the landing gear. Too me also 46 taps to pump it back in. Funny, didn't seem to take more than 30 when I was in the process of landing.

BTW looking at the crank in the cockpit while doing this is confusing, because the crank doesn't turn 360 degrees, more like 270 degrees for each tap, thus almost impossible to count how many 360 degree rotations of the crank was modeled. Maybe I'm just lazy LOL http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

-RODION

heywooood
10-28-2004, 08:59 PM
isn't there a landing gear locked indicator light in the cockpit for this?..should be a light on the panel on Grumman birds methinks.

Freycinet
10-28-2004, 10:06 PM
A practical setting for this is shift-g for gear up and ctrl-g for gear down. Look at your keyboard to see why...

rodion_zero
10-28-2004, 10:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Freycinet:
A practical setting for this is shift-g for gear up and ctrl-g for gear down. Look at your keyboard to see why... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>


SHIFT-G and CTRL-G sounds cool. However, I don't like to fumble around the keyboard while doing "curved approach" carrier landings...might end up pressing the wrong combi (such as CTRL-E? Yes it happened once LOL) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I simply assign it on Button 11 and Button 12 of my stick (Logitech Extreme 3DPRO). http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

-RODION

Athosd
10-28-2004, 10:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by heywooood:
isn't there a landing gear locked indicator light in the cockpit for this?..should be a light on the panel on Grumman birds methinks. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No indicator lamps light up for either gear state in the F4F3 - as far as I've seen anyway.

Korbelz
10-28-2004, 10:24 PM
i doubt it took 40 something taps...slow your taps down...you can tap the button 200 in a single second but its still going to take that crank 20 something turns of the crank to get the gear down and its still going to take about 3 plus seconds.

if you sit in the cockpit and tap the key really really fast for about 3 seconds(ie before the gear locks) the handle with spin for quite some time. if you slow the taps down to like one a second, as soon as the gear was locked down the handle will not spin anymore..thats how you know your gear is locked down.(i couldn't find a light, but then again i was about 1/2 mile from a carrier and trying to land)

one more thing you need to cocpit on to see the handle http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif..but i guess if you are going to fly cocpit off..you'll fly with extrnals(sp..sorry tired) as well :-)

rodion_zero
10-29-2004, 12:15 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Korbelz:
i doubt it took 40 something taps...slow your taps down...you can tap the button 200 in a single second but its still going to take that crank 20 something turns of the crank to get the gear down and its still going to take about 3 plus seconds.

if you sit in the cockpit and tap the key really really fast for about 3 seconds(ie before the gear locks) the handle with spin for quite some time. if you slow the taps down to like one a second, as soon as the gear was locked down the handle will not spin anymore..thats how you know your gear is locked down.(i couldn't find a light, but then again i was about 1/2 mile from a carrier and trying to land)

one more thing you need to cocpit on to see the handle http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif..but i guess if you are going to fly cocpit off..you'll fly with extrnals(sp..sorry tired) as well :-) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL, I am telling the truth, 46 taps. I even tried it again and made sure I tapped 1 tap every two seconds, and still, 46 taps. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif And the keypresses aren't accumulative--you cannot hold down the key and expect the gear to move up--you really have to tap, tap, tap, tap, tap it to simulate the "pump" action http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

And yes, I do have the cockpit on, otherwise, how would I have determined that the crank only rotated 270 degrees instead of 360? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif And there is indeed a "gear-locked" indicator--it's a small thingie beside the crank, and since it's NOT on the front panel, you still have to mouse the view to look at it to check if the gear is indeed locked. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

-RODION

Stuntie
10-29-2004, 02:09 AM
As it's required by the F4F I am surprised they didn't allocate default keys for it already.

If I remember correctly from what I've read its about 20-23 turns to gear up or down.

Can't remember if it's the F4F but at least one wind down gear fighter had a tendency to run away when lowering and spin the handle cracking the pilots knuckles.

Also watch out for your radio leads getting caught on the handle - more than one pilot wound his head down as he wound the gear up.
Not a good idea right after takeoff.

Jester_159th
10-29-2004, 02:47 AM
There isn't an indicator light for the gear up/down in the F4-F3(Not sure about the F4-F4).

What there is, if you look down at the landing gear crank, just in front of the handle there is a sliding bar indicator.

As far as the number of times you have to tap the key, the timing of the key taps doesn't match the timing of the movement of the crank handle. So you may well be tapping the key far more than needed (ie if you're repeateedly tapping the key you'll be faster than the handle is moving if you see what I mean)

Fritzofn
10-29-2004, 04:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by heywooood:
nobody reads the readme...they should call it what it is...'ignoreme' or 'fleb'... no one would even notice 'cept the perfessers. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hehehe, thats a comon problem here in Norway,
at my last work as a computer technician at scandinavia's biggest HW store, i had loads of customers, when he said what the problem was i just sometimes replied in a rude tone "U didnt read the instuction manual....did u???"

Norwegians think they are super humans, and understand how everything works, with no need to read the manual's.........


i know, i'm like that myself :P

LW_lcarp
10-29-2004, 04:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SkyChimp:
Lets see Tater, I don't have it either. That's because as of 7:00pm+ Thursday, October 28, 2004, none of the following had it:

Wal Mart
Target
Comp USA
EB Games
Gamespot

Well, Gamespot claims they got one (1) copy today, but sold it. EB states it wouldn't be out until 10/30. They couldn't believe Gamespot had a copy because EB get everything first.

UBI's ability to get this game to the consumer is, well, peculiar. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>


And to think chimp i preordered mine from UBI U.S. and had my copy the day before its official release

Vengeanze
10-29-2004, 04:43 AM
To help you guys out in this very important issue I've made a fneb.txt which contains exactly 46 taps.

Hope it helps someone.

fneb.txt (http://la-famiglia.se/skulls/tmp/fneb.txt)

rodion_zero
10-29-2004, 04:59 AM
What reason do I have NOT to say that I pressed the key/button 46 times just to retract/extend the Wildcat's landing gear? I don't get it...

-RODION

bionic_ghost
10-29-2004, 05:05 AM
there is 1 real easy way to know if the gear is down....when the crank (look down and to the right in the cockpit) stops moving even though you keep pressing its down!

rodion_zero
10-29-2004, 05:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bionic_ghost:
there is 1 real easy way to know if the gear is down....when the crank (look down and to the right in the cockpit) stops moving even though you keep pressing its down! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have to be in wideview though (PageDown) to see it, or mouse over to that area.

-RODION

Philipscdrw
10-29-2004, 05:26 AM
I have used Shift-G and Ctrl-G since the days of V1.02 or whenever the I-16 came out. I have never hit Ctrl-E by mistake! And I just look at the crank and see if it doesn't move any more when I need to check if the gear is down.

rodion_zero
10-29-2004, 05:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Philipscdrw:
I have used Shift-G and Ctrl-G since the days of V1.02 or whenever the I-16 came out. I have never hit Ctrl-E by mistake! And I just look at the crank and see if it doesn't move any more when I need to check if the gear is down. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gonna try that. At least I'll be freeing up two more buttons for my stick...hmmm...one I will assign for the seat adjust and the other will be for canopy open http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

-RODION

rodion_zero
10-30-2004, 09:49 AM
Now that some of you US-based fellas have the game, can anyone help me confirm the 46-keystroke manual gear retract and extend on the Wildcats?

-RODION