PDA

View Full Version : What does it take to destroy a carrier?



Zlians
09-10-2005, 05:50 PM
How many hits, where, with what acceptable weapons... please answer http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Siwarrior
09-10-2005, 06:24 PM
4x1000lb bombes amidships will destroy it

ashley2005
09-10-2005, 06:26 PM
i16 machine guns :P

or

in reality ..torpedos corsair rockets the usual japanese kamikazi _ that doesnt work but hey hey its fun trying

Kuna15
09-10-2005, 06:31 PM
I have destroyed carrier with one HE-111 2x2000SC pass in 3.04. Never tried it in 4.01 tho.

You can go into Full Mission Builder and make a mission vs carrier. Select unlimited ammo and select very slow rate of fire for carrier (to avoid being killed during your bomb run). Or you may try with 'invulnerable' mode. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

So you can run tests as much as you like with weapons you like to check that out.

fordfan25
09-10-2005, 09:36 PM
attack from the very frount or rear. never at the sides. and by frount i mean as if the ship was comeing right at you and skip bomb it. a corsair with 2x 1,000lb and 1 x 2,000lb load out with a 2.0 sec delay will sink a JP carrier every time.

tigertalon
09-11-2005, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by Zlians:
How many hits, where, with what acceptable weapons... please answer http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Two tiny tims and corsair almighty to carry them there...

Also 2xSC2000 on He111 (like Kuna said) are enough, but online you will need a couple of fighters providing high cover just to draw flak if you don't wanna be killed on your approach.

Fighterduck
09-11-2005, 07:13 AM
Corsair with 4000lb loadout

BanaBob
09-11-2005, 08:33 AM
AGM 84D Harpoon will do the trick. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

vocatx
09-11-2005, 12:01 PM
Actully, it depends on the ship class. Certain class ships will take more damage than others. I fly IJA/N a lot, and some USN carriers are extremely difficult to sink, or even damage. However, I once won the Coral Sea map on Zekes vs. Wildcats by myself in about thirty minutes flying an SBD.

VW-IceFire
09-11-2005, 03:00 PM
Pair of Tiny Tims will sink just about anything.

Zlians
09-11-2005, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
Pair of Tiny Tims will sink just about anything.

While I do usually use those to wipe any planes still on the carrier, of all the times I missed and hit the hull, nothing happened.

Bearcat99
09-12-2005, 07:47 PM
More than one 1600lbr on the deck thats for sure....

fordfan25
09-12-2005, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by vocatx:
Actully, it depends on the ship class. Certain class ships will take more damage than others. I fly IJA/N a lot, and some USN carriers are extremely difficult to sink, or even damage. However, I once won the Coral Sea map on Zekes vs. Wildcats by myself in about thirty minutes flying an SBD.

OMG the first US carriers are overmoddled post http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

T_O_A_D
09-12-2005, 09:43 PM
Fast pass with f4u and a 4000 lbs payload skipped into the bow goes down every time.

96th_Nightshifter
09-12-2005, 09:52 PM
I know this isn't technically possible but I was in a server (334th or RCAF), the map had just started so I know that nobody else had hit the carriers with anything yet. I took off in a F4U-1D with 3 1000lb bombs strapped underneath with the intention of skip bombing a carrier. In this particular map they had two carriers set up end to end; I came in 50 ft of the water dropped all three bombs (bare in mind I was going VERY fast with 1 second delay) pulled up and to the left -I took engine damage and started to dead stick towards the water - Explosions ensued and I get two messages saying "SHIP DESTROYED". I was like "TWO?" I looked behind me and saw both carriers smoking, after settling in the water I flicked through externals and saw that both carriers were in fact sinking!!! Nobody else hit the carriers as I was the only Allied pilot in the server and the other two Axis were attacking their targets.
This would be a freak occurence I would say and I have never been able to re-produce it but it certainly put a smile on my face http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

fordfan25
09-12-2005, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by 96th_Nightshifter:
I know this isn't technically possible but I was in a server (334th or RCAF), the map had just started so I know that nobody else had hit the carriers with anything yet. I took off in a F4U-1D with 3 1000lb bombs strapped underneath with the intention of skip bombing a carrier. In this particular map they had two carriers set up end to end; I came in 50 ft of the water dropped all three bombs (bare in mind I was going VERY fast with 1 second delay) pulled up and to the left -I took engine damage and started to dead stick towards the water - Explosions ensued and I get two messages saying "SHIP DESTROYED". I was like "TWO?" I looked behind me and saw both carriers smoking, after settling in the water I flicked through externals and saw that both carriers were in fact sinking!!! Nobody else hit the carriers as I was the only Allied pilot in the server and the other two Axis were attacking their targets.
This would be a freak occurence I would say and I have never been able to re-produce it but it certainly put a smile on my face http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

yea well i sank the island of wake with a .50 cal that bounced off a zero's landing gear. thats right i am the uber. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Philipscdrw
09-13-2005, 05:45 AM
To destroy a carrier? Put me in command of the powerplant and turbines. I'm sure I'll figure out a way to turn them into **** in very short order...