PDA

View Full Version : NoLensFlare=0

AFJ_Locust
11-30-2004, 05:25 PM
This is in the Conf.ini what does it do ?

Athosd
11-30-2004, 05:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AFJ_Locust:
This is in the Conf.ini what does it do ? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you change it to '=1' it will remove the cinematic view effect lens flare. By getting rid of it you may even get a slight FPS increase.

3.JG51_BigBear
11-30-2004, 06:49 PM
Not to sound like a complete idiot but what is the cinematic lens flare? Thanks

Willey
11-30-2004, 07:01 PM
http://www.wizzard.com/gal.photo/Images/13.big.jpeg

Czunik
12-01-2004, 02:14 AM
And one more thing .. they are only visible in external views.

woofiedog
12-01-2004, 02:37 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif Thank's for the info Athosd.

diomedes33
12-01-2004, 08:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Czunik:
And one more thing .. they are only visible in external views. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This phenomenon is not dedectable by the human eye. Try to think of a time you've seen a lens flare like Wiley posted when it wasn't in a photograph or a movie.

Developers put it into games and 3d art because we are so used to seeing it that it makes it feel more real.

A.K.Davis
12-01-2004, 08:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by diomedes33:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Czunik:
And one more thing .. they are only visible in external views. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This phenomenon is not dedectable by the human eye. Try to think of a time you've seen a lens flare like Wiley posted when it wasn't in a photograph or a movie.

Developers put it into games and 3d art because we are so used to seeing it that it makes it feel more real. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not detectable to the human eye because we don't have mechanical apertures in our eyes. Good photographers and cinematographers do their utmost to avoid lens flare in their images.

It's put in games, apparently, to recreate the feel of bad cinematography, because this makes things more "real" somehow.

Please, for the sake of good photography, fly with NoLensFlare=1.

jamesdietz
12-01-2004, 09:13 AM
Does this really have an effect on FPS???Inquiring minds etc......

SeaFireLIV
12-01-2004, 09:41 AM
Getting rid of lens flare as of now. Don`t know why I never did before.

Nubarus
12-01-2004, 02:02 PM
I disable lens flare since the original IL2.

Only difference is that I didn't do it via the conf.ini file but with IL2 Manager.

I have been using that program since the very first release.

AFJ_Locust
12-01-2004, 02:40 PM
Thankyou

Athosd
12-01-2004, 02:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jamesdietz:
Does this really have an effect on FPS???Inquiring minds etc...... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If any FPS benefit does come from turning it off it would only be due to the GPU not having to render the effect. I'm sure its not a particularly burdensome piece of code, so if there is a detectable difference it would be "slight".

Cheers

Athos

JohnnyBlademan
12-01-2004, 03:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by A.K.Davis:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by diomedes33:

Developers put it into games and 3d art because we are so used to seeing it that it makes it feel more real. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not detectable to the human eye because we don't have mechanical apertures in our eyes. Good photographers and cinematographers do their utmost to avoid lens flare in their images.

It's put in games, apparently, to recreate the feel of bad cinematography, because this makes things more "real" somehow.

Please, for the sake of good photography, fly with NoLensFlare=1. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lens Flare is the "real" result of direct sunlight refraction and dispersion through a clear media eg. window, canopy, or a lens. It has nothing to do with cinemetography, sit in your car facing the sun directly as in a sunrise or senset and you will see a similar effect (especially in the dirty parts of the windshield). It's put in games because when pilots look up at the sun through a canopy it's what they see. Photographers will use lens flare as in Willeys photo if it produces an effect that they want. And there are lens filters made that help to emphasize and control this effect. Stop by next week and we'll discuss selective focus, framing, push and pull exposures and why not to suck your thumb while wet processing.
JB

A.K.Davis
12-01-2004, 05:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JohnnyBlademan:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by A.K.Davis:

Please, for the sake of good photography, fly with NoLensFlare=1. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lens Flare is the "real" result of direct sunlight refraction and dispersion through a clear media eg. window, canopy, or a lens. It has nothing to do with cinemetography, sit in your car facing the sun directly as in a sunrise or senset and you will see a similar effect (especially in the dirty parts of the windshield). It's put in games because when pilots look up at the sun through a canopy it's what they see. Photographers will use lens flare as in Willeys photo if it produces an effect that they want. And there are lens filters made that help to emphasize and control this effect. Stop by next week and we'll discuss selective focus, framing, push and pull exposures and why not to suck your thumb while wet processing.
JB <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a degree in photojournalism bud.

The polygon-shaped flares rendered in the game are an imitation of lens flare that results when reflections occur in the rear group of elements in a lens at the aperture blades, and is called aperture ghosting. Its form is a result of the shape formed by the aperture blades in the camera (still or motion).

http://jonathanclark.com/diary/flare/index_files/image004.jpg

A pilot looking through a canopy would not see such polygonal reflections unless he had a mechanical blade aperture behind the lens of his eye.

Star-shaped sun flaring is modelled separately in the game. Put the sun at the edge of your canopy and watch what happens.

WTE_Dukayn
12-01-2004, 06:10 PM
meh, they put it in cos they think it looks cool http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Czunik
12-02-2004, 03:24 AM
Once I was making lens-flare system for 3d-rendering system .. as my diploma work. I made some tests, some research, some simulations.
All you need to obtain lots of flares is lots of reflective surfaces (lens).
You wont get them in human eye, you wont get them in simple len camera - no mater of apperture blades. Aperture blades can affect SHAPE of spots, but not their count nor intensity.
Only more complex lens systems 'suffer' from this phenomenon, especialy zoom lens. More simple 2 or 4 element lens have much simplier flares, usualy one or two big spots. Also note that this 'effect' is usually NOT WANTED in photography.
In IL2 external view there is suposed to be ZOOM CAMERA, so it is right that the picture shows quite complex 'flares'.
Anyway, if they try to simulate camera flares, they should also change aperture (and shape of the flares) with different amount of light in the image (when looking to the sun for example) and the flares should change with zooming (very complex thing) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif
Anyway, the flares looks fine (best I saw in real-time a quite good in not-real-time rendering systems), costs almost nothing, and can be switched off. GOOD WORK !

TgD Thunderbolt56
12-02-2004, 06:00 AM
Interesting...nothing more.

Leave them on...turn them off. I'm sure it will make little difference in the performance of your machine or your performance in the pit.

Practice, on the other hand...

JohnnyBlademan
12-02-2004, 07:30 AM
[/QUOTE]

QUOTE]
Operative term being journalism!

I was a Navy Photographer http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

My bad I posted before thinking, actually I had to go in the game to see exactly what Locust was typing about. I simply thought it was for the glare through the canopy or the gunsight, that's what I meant about effects and was reffering to star filters and the like. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Czunik is right usually flare isn't wanted, but neither is soft focus and there are applications for that too. As far as the human eye is concerned haven't you heard of people seeing glare, flare, or hot spots when they have a bad radio-caratonomy operation?

A.K.Davis
12-02-2004, 10:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JohnnyBlademan:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Operative term being journalism!

I was a Navy Photographer http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Operative term being "Navy." http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>My bad I posted before thinking, actually I had to go in the game to see exactly what Locust was typing about. I simply thought it was for the glare through the canopy or the gunsight, that's what I meant about effects and was reffering to star filters and the like. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Czunik is right usually flare isn't wanted, but neither is soft focus and there are applications for that too. As far as the human eye is concerned haven't you heard of people seeing glare, flare, or hot spots when they have a bad radio-caratonomy operation? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but not aperture ghosting.

Spinnetti
12-02-2004, 10:39 AM

JB <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WAAAAAit a minute...
The specific 'lense flare' we are talking about is the specific hexagonal shape displayed, not the chromic dispersal. The heaxagonal shape is the silouette of the mechanical lense apature, no more no less, so the previous post is correct in that aspect. The human eye being organic in shape and not a bunch of straight pieces closing together does not see this effect. (sorry for the bad spelling - too lazy to fix it all)...

JohnnyBlademan
12-02-2004, 03:17 PM
Did you see my 2nd post where I said I didn't read the whole post correctly?