PDA

View Full Version : Storm of War: Battle of Britain

e2michaelb
05-16-2006, 06:27 PM
I notice that Bearcat's recent threads contain a cautionary note from Oleg, to the effect that PC's should be upgraded after the release of SoW:BoB. What is the new requirement spec? I have already spent serious bucks upgrading my old Model T to a Mustang GT. It ain't the greatest, but it can handle FB/AEP/PF. How much more am I going to be obliged to spend? Present setup includes Pentium IV-2.6MHz, 1Gb RAM, ATI 9600 Video Card, 1Gb HD, Saitek X45, CH Pro pedals, TrackIR 4, WinXP.

TheGozr
05-16-2006, 06:51 PM
yes it's hard to hear that but you will have to do it again..

knightflyte
05-16-2006, 06:56 PM
My computer is about 1.5 years. It has a P4 3.2 prescott.....a GeForce 6800GT..... 2 Gig Ram..... Audigy Sound Blaster 1.

That's about 6 months PRIOR to the recommended system oleg reccommends.

I think the upgrade Oleg is referring to is SLI video cards... dual core processors (though he's been unspecific about that) and 2 Gig of memory are HIGHLY recommended.

JunkoIfurita
05-16-2006, 07:59 PM
I think the upgrade Oleg is referring to is SLI video cards... dual core processors (though he's been unspecific about that) and 2 Gig of memory are HIGHLY recommended.

That'd be nice if that were the case - I've got two out of three.

I've got SLI 7800GTX cards, 2GB of Geil low-latency DDR2, but only a P4 650 single core. My mobo supports dual core, though, so when the Cloverton comes out and the 775 dual cores come down in price, I'll get one.

Hopefully I'll be set for BoB then without any more drastic upgrades (except maybe some cooling material so I can overclock).

Chivas
05-16-2006, 08:18 PM
Oleg mentioned he did know if BOB will be optimized for dual core cpus.

I think a 2.4 gig AMD or 3.0 gig Intel and 6800GT with 1 gig of memory will be able run BOB at lowered settings.

Best guess to run BOB with higher settings..
2 gigs of ram.
A new cpu from Intel{Conroe}or newer AMD
and an SLI or Crossfire graphics system should run BOB very well.

Aeronautico
05-16-2006, 08:52 PM
Guys, it will be SCALABLE! Nobody forces us to play at the highest settings until we eventually get the PC able to handle them. And SoW's lowest settings are likely to look no worse than IL-2 highest... be sure!
The original IL-2 (same with FB) required serious PC power back then to be played at highest settings, yet it was very OK with ridicolously slower equipment too (800 MHz CPU; 128 MB RAM; GeForce TNT w/16 MB)!

FritzGryphon
05-16-2006, 08:57 PM
I got my machine today, and I'm confident it'll play BoB just fine.

That's because I know I can run Forgotten Battles with a K6 450 and a voodoo 3. Not pretty, but on low it does actually run smooth.

One of the biggest successes, I think, of IL-2 is the lenient system requirements and almost unholy stability. I trust the same attention will be paid to future products from MG.

knightflyte
05-16-2006, 11:37 PM
I didn't get the impression that a slightly used computer (1 - 1.5 years old) would run BoB perfectly.....but it would do okay. Detail levels lowered etc. (For a laugh try setting all your detail levels in IL2/PF to their LOWEST setting.....looks hella funny.)

I think he's advising folks to wait untill BoB comes out so we can get the most bang per buck.

I probably wouldn't be able to afford all the newest top o' the line computer equipment when BoB is released............ BUT computer parts that are 6 monthes old when BoB is released should be in a decent price range, and still perform very very well.

Strangely, if I upgrade my computer the only thing I could probably transfer would be the memory. The rest I'd have to do all at once. CPU... SLI vid card.... MOBO.... PSU.... and a case.

When I do upgrade I want a case that will house several 120mm fans in the front, and one in the back. They rotate slower and thus create less noise, while pushing more cool air..

Am I the only one confused with Intel and AMD's nomenclatures for their CPUs? I miss the P 3 or 4 @ such and such MHz. Now we seem to have obscure names that really don't describe performance.

james_ander
05-17-2006, 05:17 AM
The longer after BoB is released that you wait to upgrade, the better it will run. I imagine that even a couple years after the release of BoB, newer hardware will make it run even better, just like the current series.

Troll2k
05-17-2006, 02:45 PM
I suspect the November release date is just a PR move to please the stock holders.I expect BoB to actually be released in Q1 of 2007.

There is no telling what kind of hardware will actually be on the shelves when BoB finally does arrive.

I believe BoB will have built in graphic scalability so you can get better and better graphics for years to come.We are just now seeing IL2/Fb in its full glory.

If you can be patient I agree with Oleg and wait until BoB is out.Probably only 6-8 months.

NonWonderDog
05-17-2006, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by knightflyte:
Am I the only one confused with Intel and AMD's nomenclatures for their CPUs? I miss the P 3 or 4 @ such and such MHz. Now we seem to have obscure names that really don't describe performance.

I'm confused, too, but the Ghz thing was never more than a marketing gag used to disguise the horrible P4 architecture. AMD shot back with their "+" ratings that had nothing to do with the actual clock rate, but were as big as Intel's numbers. Since Intel hit a heat barrier and are unable to raise processor speeds, they have to drop the Ghz obcession and focus on architecture.

A nicer way to say it is that a 2 Ghz "Conroe" chip will likely be faster than a 3-4 Ghz "Smithfield" chip, so processor clock is not useful for measuring performance. I'm more confused at a 2.0 Ghz Pentium M 755 system with passive cooling that's faster than a 3.2 Ghz Pentium D 840 system that sounds like a jet engine than I am the lack of clock speeds in marketting.

Chivas
05-17-2006, 03:59 PM
I thing to keep in mind if you wanted to build an Nvidia SLI system, with only one video card then upgrade with the second card when BOB comes out. SLI Systems requires that you use two almost identical video cards. Lets say you bought an 7800GTX earlier and what too upgrade to the second 7800GTX...it may be hard to find.

I don't think ATI requires that you have two identical video cards in their crossfire system.

AMD64 3800+
BFG7900GTX 512

NonWonderDog
05-17-2006, 04:08 PM
You don't have to use identical cards in a Crossfire setup, but if you use different cards they will both be forced to run at the same speed -- the speed of the slower card. This means clock rates, pixel pipelines, everything. So, you CAN do it, but it's a waste of money unless you plan to replace the slower card later on.

The cards do, however, have to be of the same family. You can put any two X1800s together, but you can't put an X1800 with an X1900.

-HH-Quazi
05-17-2006, 04:21 PM
Until Crossfire can run two identical cards, without one having to be a special card, I think SLI is the way to go if a dual card rig is what one wants. I know they can run the X1300 & X1600 like this now, but I am speaking of the higher ended cards like the X1900.

I have run ATI cards for the last three years, and only recently purchased a 7800 GS because it is the highest ended AGP card available and I wanted to experience some of the newer technology with my AGP system before I retire it. But if I had the $$$ and wanted to run a dual card rig, I would have to go with a SLI configuration at this time.

I also believe the m8s that have went ahead and built a Crossfire or SLI rig with the highest ended cards and dual core cpus will be good and ready for BoB. And I don't think there will be much better available, even up til this time next year, at least not worth upgrading to.

I think the top of the line rig from last year at this time, like mine, are the rigs Oleg was referring to in saying they will be able to play BoB with lower settings, not the lowest settings, just lower.

It will be interesting to see what the lowest ended rig will be that will be able to run BoB with any decency.

Chivas
05-17-2006, 07:17 PM
FB/PF is extremely CPU demanding and I assume BOB will be not much different. I can see the new cpus from Intel and AMD coming soon that should be a bonus for running BOB. I know Oleg hasn't decided yet if BOB will be optimized for dual core cpus but the new Conroe cpu from Intel is supposed to have a significant boost in speed capablility. I'm also hearing rumors that AMD haven't been sitting on their thumbs.

I have a decent video card ready for an SLI system, but I will wait until BOB and the cpu benchmarks to buy the best motherboard.

VW-IceFire
05-17-2006, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by e2michaelb:
I notice that Bearcat's recent threads contain a cautionary note from Oleg, to the effect that PC's should be upgraded after the release of SoW:BoB. What is the new requirement spec? I have already spent serious bucks upgrading my old Model T to a Mustang GT. It ain't the greatest, but it can handle FB/AEP/PF. How much more am I going to be obliged to spend? Present setup includes Pentium IV-2.6MHz, 1Gb RAM, ATI 9600 Video Card, 1Gb HD, Saitek X45, CH Pro pedals, TrackIR 4, WinXP.
Sorry to break it to you...thats not really a Mustang GT. More of a Dodge Caravan...its good but no sports car.

I've got a similar system to you actually. Its a AMD 2700+, 1GB of PC2700 ram, GeForce 6600GT. So I've got a faster video card, probably a bit slower on the CPU depending on which Pentium 4 you've got...but while these are good systems for most things...we're not going to be doing so well in the next gen lineup of games. Yours sounds like its probably 2 to 3 years old like mine is and by the time BoB comes out...its going to be 3-4 years old and thats old by cutting edge gaming standards. Yes it sucks but thats the reality of computing.

I would expect you can wait to upgrade till after the game comes out. Thats my plan. See how it runs for a little while then break out the cash.

VMF-214_HaVoK
05-17-2006, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Aeronautico:
Guys, it will be SCALABLE! Nobody forces us to play at the highest settings until we eventually get the PC able to handle them. And SoW's lowest settings are likely to look no worse than IL-2 highest... be sure!
The original IL-2 (same with FB) required serious PC power back then to be played at highest settings, yet it was very OK with ridicolously slower equipment too (800 MHz CPU; 128 MB RAM; GeForce TNT w/16 MB)!

My god! A thinking man. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

james_ander
05-18-2006, 04:29 AM
It would be silly for Oleg to make a game that was only playable for the small percentage of people who have high end hardware. He is in business after all and needs to sell his sim. After being on this forum for awhile and checking out Sim HQ a lot, I have noticed that many serious flight simmers have decent, but average hardware. I'm sure it will be scalable. As time goes by, better hardware will make it look even nicer.

Capt.LoneRanger
05-18-2006, 07:08 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

You guys quote this statement without reading it?

Upgrading AFTER BoB means, that you should test how it will run with your system and THEN decide, wether you find it worth upgrading or not. The system stated is recommended, not minimum.

The Sim is not even in Beta-Stage, no even they know what the requirements will be, so why don't you just calm down a bit?

CHAV_
05-18-2006, 08:04 AM
I'm already scanning online stores for components , if needed I€ve got my mind on a 3700 cpu , dfi LAN party board and two 7900's in sli, I€m going to buy one component a month, I really enjoyed building my last pc , sowbob is just an excuse to build another.

ElAurens
05-18-2006, 08:49 AM
In all likelyhood BOB will not be released till April 2007.

Worry about it then.

Play FP/PF now.

Be sure.

269GA-Veltro
05-18-2006, 08:51 AM
http://www.simhq.com/_all/all_022a.html (http://www.simhq.com/_all/all_022a.htm)

For sure we'll need a strong PC....fantastic!!!

http://simhq.com/_air6/sow_bob/images/Fields.jpg

jolulure
05-18-2006, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Chivas:
Oleg mentioned he did know if BOB will be optimized for dual core cpus.

I think a 2.4 gig AMD or 3.0 gig Intel and 6800GT with 1 gig of memory will be able run BOB at lowered settings.

Best guess to run BOB with higher settings..
2 gigs of ram.
A new cpu from Intel{Conroe}or newer AMD
and an SLI or Crossfire graphics system should run BOB very well.

Please. Im not a professional in gaming, but Is common sense that the system stated above is more that enough for playing at 1024 highest quality for 30 fps!!!!!! at least you want highest AA or AF...

Fighterduck
05-18-2006, 10:27 AM
just bought my new rig with

AMD 64X2 +4400
ATI X1900XTX
1GB Kingston HyperX ( more fast than 2gb normal ram)

hope it will run BoB because for the next 3 year i wont be able to buy a new pc.

Chivas
05-18-2006, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Fighterduck:
just bought my new rig with

AMD 64X2 +4400
ATI X1900XTX
1GB Kingston HyperX ( more fast than 2gb normal ram)

hope it will run BoB because for the next 3 year i wont be able to buy a new pc.

I think your system will run BOB very nicely, but I would still get another gig of the Kingston HyperX.

Fighterduck
05-19-2006, 02:09 AM
uhm yea..meaby another gig of ram would be helpfull.
Somebofy know if bob will be optimized for opengl or Dx?..bacause ati's cards arent really good in opengl.

heywooood
05-20-2006, 10:29 AM
BoB is a hottie...you don't want to pull the trigger too soon with her...

you want to ask her to come in for a drink...maybe light a fire, throw in a c/d...Lou Rawls.."you'll never find.." da da da da-da "someone to hold you close.."

See what she is all about first, do a little listening, see what she likes...not be all in a schoolboy rush "hey girl - look at my rig!!!"

you know why?...cause it'll be too small...and she will laugh at you.

JG52Uther
05-20-2006, 10:44 AM
Well I run a 3700+ /MSI K8N SLI board/X800XL/1 Gig ram.I think this will see me into BoB.First thing I will change will be ram,then,if its needed I will go nvidea sli.The high end cards now will be so much cheaper in a years time.Its just progression.I started in il2 with a P4 2.66 / MX420 gfx card / 512 ram and it was fine. In fact that computer still plays il 2 fine (with a gig of ram /9800 pro).

Corsair-D
05-21-2006, 02:22 PM
Come on guys, Pf can run on about everything if the graphics are on low, so who cares. If it looks bad, then update your system later. Bad graphics arn't the worst thing in the world (but it's prety high up there). http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Chuck_71st
05-28-2006, 08:54 PM
I just built my new pc 2 days before the release annoncement. I have AMD 64 X2 3800+/MSI K8N SLI motherboard, currently 1 geforce 7600 gt oc pci-e card and 1 gig of ram. I will get another gig of ram and a second card to run in SLI later on. I am on a budget so thats the best I will be able to run for the next couple years.
I paid 1300.oo CDN for evrything (with sonata II tower /p.s. and sound card....THATS CHEAP! when i get the rest of my rig after christmas it wiil have come down in price as well. So just relax....The game has to run well for us mid range pc owners or Oleg is a fool http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif and wont make much money on his new sim http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif