PDA

View Full Version : Will it rain in Assassin's Creed universe?

Feillyne
09-10-2010, 02:39 PM
Well, will it?

Weather effects, such as rain, are overlooked in AC. Just wondering why every river in AC hasn't dried out by Renaissance... ;-P

thekyle0
09-10-2010, 02:43 PM
Rivers are fed less by rain water and more by a series of streams from springs flowing together. They also gain a lot of water from snow melting and flowing down from mountains.

Twostein
09-10-2010, 03:15 PM
i'd love weather, it weould fit nicely with the different day times

i have an idea for some weather gameplay changes too:

raining.> lower visiblity. guards don't see you so fast, and ranged weopens can't shoot so far.

snow: everyone moves and runs slower.

this would be nice, as it would add even more depth to the gamplaay

NewBlade200
09-10-2010, 03:27 PM
id like weather in the game as long as they dont use it as some cliche, like its raining on the final level. and i dont want it to alter the gameplay. not on ezios last game. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif ill miss ezio after this http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

Raghsak
09-10-2010, 03:33 PM
Since Brotherhood uses the same engine and stuff as AC2, odds are IF we ever see dynamic weather (which I for one pray that we do, it'd make the game hella unpredictable and much more fun) it would be with AC3 or the next installment after Brotherhood.

I think it would be neat if the rain made free running more dangerous, as Ezio/Altair/Desmond/etc could slip while jumping from board to board or rooftop to rooftop, forcing the player to slow down their movements or risk falling and potentially dying.

Snow would be awesome, but I don't see it working in the Italian setting.

JonnyQuickShot
09-10-2010, 03:58 PM
In short, no. In long, nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooo!!!!

BiopulsePS3
09-10-2010, 04:08 PM
that was long...

anyways, i would like weather effects as long and their interaction with the world is authentic. like someone mentioned before me, rain = less visibility, snow = slow, etc...

Caligula__
09-10-2010, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by NewBlade200:
id like weather in the game as long as they dont use it as some cliche, like its raining on the final level.

in Dev Diary #2 at the very very end for about a splitsecond you can see Ezio and Cesare grappling and it's very windy (almost tornado like)

D00CH
09-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by JonnyQuickShot:
In short, no. In long, nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooo!!!!

Wow.. talk about a spammer...

DeafAtheist
09-10-2010, 04:39 PM
I actually like the day and night cycle as it is without weather for AC. I get the feeling that weather changes would detract from the game experience instead of enhancing it.

Caligula__
09-10-2010, 04:41 PM
bout 1 min into Dev Diary #2 Ezio is standing on something and there are VERY dark clouds...

windofpepsi
09-10-2010, 05:25 PM
just saying if anything in the series goes to sea there should be tornadoes and hella crazy **** and seriously weather is the most ******ed thing and i can see a huge side story that could be made

JohnConnor2012
09-10-2010, 05:36 PM
Well, how would you do it?

As with day / night cycles now, with no attempt to have it influence gameplay (e.g. visibility), just for atmospherics?

Or having more intrusive / realistic effects like Ezio slipping off wet roof tops? A lot of people find they have little enough control with the BS camera and other erratics. Suppose you're running a perfect mission and--whoops!-- slip in a random puddle two seconds before the end. More annoying than AC2's minstrels?

PS: And frame rate for AC series is already virtual slo-mo in the cities on older machines (like mine), so imagine what complex effects like rains will do to 'improve' our gaming experience.

JohnConnor2012
09-10-2010, 05:51 PM
Apologies for double-posting, but another reason for it not to rain in AC's universe is because almost everyone would drown. After all, on another note of realism, only Ezio can swim. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

EzioAssassin51
09-10-2010, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Vx_McTavish_xV:
bout 1 min into Dev Diary #2 Ezio is standing on something and there are VERY dark clouds...

We've already had Dark clouds and stuff in AC2 at some points, but i think wind is as far as weather change is gonna go, which i think would be pretty cool in itself, but then people would be like 'OMG, it doesn't affect the crossbow arrows so it's not realistic' and so on.

I agree with John, actually i was going to say that http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

As he said, and I and another person on previous weather discussion threads, slipping on rooftops while it's raining will get tedious and annoying for a lot of people and for those picky enough, they'll call it a game breaker. I don't usually find problems game-breakers, but this would get really annoying if, as John said, you were on a mission and you slip or something and you end up getting exposed and lose the mission or something!

rain = less visibility, snow = slow, etc...

If anything, i think weather should only do this, not make us fall down or anything. But even this is a bit silly as you could be moving way too slow for some people's liking in the snow and people would be complaining you unrealistically don't slip on rooftops etc.

In short, the weather just won't work in an AC game. the Cons out weigh the pros.

JonnyQuickShot
09-10-2010, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by D00CH:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JonnyQuickShot:

Wow.. talk about a spammer... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It wasn't spam, as I only posted that once.

Oatkeeper
09-10-2010, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Twostein:
i'd love weather, it weould fit nicely with the different day times

i have an idea for some weather gameplay changes too:

raining.> lower visiblity. guards don't see you so fast, and ranged weopens can't shoot so far.

this would be nice, as it would add even more depth to the gamplaay

this implies that guards are already aware enough to see past two feet in front of them when you are not notorious... and implies the gameplay has depth...

The only real detpth the game needs is in the social aspect of stealth, which was not used in AC2 nearly enough, it was improved, but not really used mostly due to horrible chasing AI and lack of reason to NOT get into battles.

Roakeru
09-11-2010, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by EzioAssassin51:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vx_McTavish_xV:

We've already had Dark clouds and stuff in AC2 at some points, but i think wind is as far as weather change is gonna go, which i think would be pretty cool in itself, but then people would be like 'OMG, it doesn't affect the crossbow arrows so it's not realistic' and so on.

I agree with John, actually i was going to say that http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

As he said, and I and another person on previous weather discussion threads, slipping on rooftops while it's raining will get tedious and annoying for a lot of people and for those picky enough, they'll call it a game breaker. I don't usually find problems game-breakers, but this would get really annoying if, as John said, you were on a mission and you slip or something and you end up getting exposed and lose the mission or something!
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Maybe they could introduce some sort of boots upgrade later in the game...more adhesive boots or something like that so he wouldn't mind about slipping

EzioAssassin51
09-11-2010, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Roakeru:
Maybe they could introduce some sort of boots upgrade later in the game...more adhesive boots or something like that so he wouldn't mind about slipping

Probably the best way to go to solve that problem! Good thinking http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

iamdan28
09-11-2010, 05:23 PM
i think weather wood be sweet in AC3

DarkicoN14
09-12-2010, 12:06 AM
they should put in.... A DOUBLE RAINBOW WOOOOOOOO!