PDA

View Full Version : Well, I've Went Ahead and Done It...

Treetop64
11-11-2005, 10:55 PM
...And taken my first step in constructing a new PC.

I've contemplated doing this for quite some time now, and now I've finally acted.

Today after work I purchased the motherboard, an ASUS P5LD2 Deluxe. I've officially converted to PCI Express, Dual-Core CPU Heaven!

In short, this is absolutely the highest end consumer motherboard currently on the market (for those that prefer Intel processors), and will be worth every bit the $285 I paid for it (that price includes a full three-year, no questions asked warranty - $45).

And that is the plan. Every payday buy the highest quality component on the shelves, one-by-one. Next week it will be the processor itself, a 3.8 GHz, 2X1 MB cache, dual-core processor. Then it will be the G-card: an ATI X850XE 256MB for PCI Express (I think I may have fluffed the nomenclature, but again the point is that it is the most powerful G-Card available, therefore it will be in the new system).

I'm not posting this to boast, but only to share in the joys of our hobby, and hopefully encourage others to do the same (especially you, Raaaid http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif). And if you don't have the financial ability to pursue a similar endeavour, then I hope this will encourage those in that predicament to find it within themselves to create a situation in which they can.

I will update as the new powerhouse develops.

polak5
11-11-2005, 11:38 PM
Man that sounds awsome...whenever i upgrade im going PCI express http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

arcadeace
11-12-2005, 12:48 AM
You might want to consider returning your MB for a substantial savings. After reading what you paid I was curious because the price looked high and did a search on just one web site, Pricewatch. Without inquiring the length of guarantees; including shipping they start at $166.00. Its a good site to check low prices on all components if you live in the US or even Canada. All the best for a fine system.

iron_guantlet
11-12-2005, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by Arcadeace:
You might want to consider returning your MB for a substantial savings. After reading what you paid I was curious because the price looked high and did a search on just one web site, Pricewatch. Without inquiring the length of guarantees; including shipping they start at $166.00. Its a good site to check low prices on all components if you live in the US or even Canada. All the best for a fine system.

Thats for sure..you have paid way to much for that MB. Get your money back and shop around on net.
check this out
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=13

with the money you save you could invest it in more/better memory or whatever

Treetop64
11-12-2005, 03:01 AM
You guys are magnificent, you know that?!

I should have known better...

Tiger is a highly respected and dependable site, and at those prices I can nearly build the entire system in one fell swoop! I have to see if there are any warranties (God, I hope so!).

Treetop64
11-12-2005, 03:14 AM
One, Two, and Three-year warranties are availble on Tiger!

That's the trigger. The Fry's purchase is going back.

Thanks again!

LEXX_Luthor
11-12-2005, 04:01 AM
I wait, and save money, for the day when SuperMicro makes AMD Athalon desktop boards. I am SuperO FanBoy.

Peacemaker_PL
11-12-2005, 05:40 AM
Hey, why You spending Your money for Intel, and seconf, why the hell ATI GPU ?
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
just mine 2 cents http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

greetings,

Peacemaker.

HoneySeeker
11-12-2005, 05:44 AM
Not sure where you got that processor speed from, since Pentium D tops out at 3.2GHz (the only difference between the 840 and 840EE is that the EE is the only dual-core P4 with Hyperthreading enabled).

Not to mention that you would most likely get better performance from an Athlon X2.

VVaFFenPanZZeR
11-12-2005, 06:53 AM
Yes scrub the intel, and get an AMD, it would be a crying shame to put a intel in a rig like that.

polak5
11-12-2005, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by VVaFFenPanZZeR:
Yes scrub the intel, and get an AMD, it would be a crying shame to put a intel in a rig like that.

whenever if ever I get a new pc im gona put a AMD in it I hear nothing but good from them.

ElAurens
11-12-2005, 08:36 AM
Ah, fanboi wars are sooooooo entertaining.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

stansdds
11-13-2005, 08:04 AM
Tiger Direct is good, dealt with them on many occasions. I like NewEgg, better prices on most items.

Definitely go with AMD for a processor and PCIexpress for graphics. Also make sure your motherboard has additional PCI slots for things like a sound card. I think it is best if you can keep at least one slot empty between the sound card and the video card, I'm glad I did because I ended up building a duct so the video card fan could only draw air from the outside of the case.

JunkoIfurita
11-13-2005, 09:55 PM
Question: are you using the PC for anything but gaming? If the answer is no, I'd go with the advice and get a mid/high range AMD processor. Note this only really applies to the super-expensive FX-55 and FX-57 chips. A standard AMD64 won't top a Pentium 4 6 series in performance, if the benchmarks have anything to say.

What is thea actual processor you're getting? By your specs (3.8Ghz P4, 2MB L2 Cache, etc), I'd say that chip is a Pentium 4 670. This is a single core CPU, although it does have HyperThreading (sort of like having two cores that don't work completely separately). The 670 is a good gaming CPU (I have a 650, and it flies. It'll overclock happily too if you have a good cooling solution).

I wouldn't reccomend you get a dual core processor for gaming anyway. Neither a Pentium D or an AMD64x2 processor. The overall performance is much lower unless the application is designed to run two threads simultaneously. No games do so far, at least I'm certain Sturmovik doesn't. Maybe someday (it's on a Java base, and Java supports dual core design).

The graphics card selection is quite okay (I'm not interested in GPU fanboy arguments - either is good for a single card)..

What RAM are you going to get? For that setup I'd reccomend something dual-channel with an aggressive latency setting (3,3,3,8 CAS). The Geil PC2-5300 667Mhz DDR2 Ultra Series is a good set of RAM for the price - it has the aggressive latency and also a good set of heatsinks. I'd reccomend the 2GB or 4GB dual-channel kit, if you have the money.

Otherwise go Corsair (although unless you get absolute top end you'll have to get your own RAM heatsinks in that case).

For a high end setup, 1GB is no longer enough for Pacific Fighters. I believe the game will eat as much as 1.5GB if you let it, and if you don't it goes to swap space, which causes stutter.

What about SLI (or Crossfire, if you want to spend all your money and never eat again)?

And monitor? The absolute best LCD you can go for is a ViewSonic 19" VX924. It is relatively affordable (as far as expensive LCDs go) and is the first monitor with a 4ms response time, which pretty much eliminates the Ghosting that is typical of LCDs.

Otherwise go for a good CRT monitor - a cheap LCD will have you in tears, trust me.

Treetop64
11-14-2005, 06:54 PM
Good points.

I'll be using the PC for video and music editing, and some work. It will be used primarily for gaming, though. A future plan is to run an integrated home entertainment system with it also, for which the dual-core architecture of the motherboard will probably come in handy...

I did some research on single-core vs dual-core processors, and for my immediate purposes, the single core processor would definitlely be the better choice. The thing is that dual-core processors are only great for serious heavy-duty multitasking, which I won't be doing in the forseeable future. Therefore, if you're not running more than one app, then you're technically only using half the processor. So, I got the Intel P4 670 @ 3.8 GHz with a 2 MB cache (beats usnig a 3.2 GHz clock with only a 1MB cache that makes up one half of a dual-core setup). It's a smokin' chip, especially for the board that it will be mated to.

When more powerful dual-core processors are released, then I'll be well-positioned to install it!

Memory? Either a dual channel Geil, Kingston, or Corsair setup. I'm not settling for less than 4 gigs...

Not sure on the SLI yet.

G-Card? ATI X1800, X1600, X1300, or X850XT, whichever my wallet says is OK to get at the time. I'm leaning towards the 1800, but I want to be sure of any advantages it may offer.

I love ViewSonic's monitors! So guess which brand I'll be getting. At least a 20", but again I'll get as big a monitor as I possibly can.

-HH-Quazi
11-15-2005, 12:32 AM
You would probably be better off getting a Crossfire enabled mobo and just run one card in it for the time being, just as people have been using the SLI boards. This will give you an avenue for an upgrade when you see fit a year or two down the road. Just a thought.

Blottogg
11-15-2005, 12:56 AM
Treetop, welcome to the dark side of homebrewed systems. A couple of things I've learned while building/troubleshooting my own system:

- An AMD 939 pin motherboard is a good idea. The AMD 64 processors are in general faster for gaming, though they may lose a few points to Intel for "non-branchy" code like the video editing you're planning on doing. Most 939 mobos can accept dual core processors with a BIOS flash, if you want the ability to upgrade to multi-core as software comes to market to take advantage of it. Intel motherboards may support single/dual core processors too, but I'm admitedly ignorant of Intel's current crop.

- The first Crossfire motherboards (supporting ATi's two graphics card scheme) are just coming to market. Previews have been encouraging (emphasizing that the ATi solution isn't driver dependent, but rather works for all games right out of the box), but if you want to go this route, you may want to hold off a month or so to see how the reviews of the retail versions go. Stability and reliability are two areas I'd like to know more about with Crossfire. Since it can use several different types of graphics cards (they don't have to match exactly like they do with SLI), it may be a good idea if you'd like to add a second card later.

- If you go the SLI route, make sure the PSU is specifically rated for SLI. I went with an OCZ600ADJ, which came with a Y connector linking two molex connectors (like those used with AGP NVidia cards) on different cables into one PCIe graphics card connector. After several problems with my SLI setup (which may or may not have been PSU related... though I do know one of the ASUS mobo's PCIe slots died) a local computer shop tech mentioned an article he'd read stating that the Y connector solution had caused problems with SLI. FWIW, NewEgg (where I purchaced my PSU) no longer lists the OCZ600ADJ, just the OCZ600ADJSLI version. OCZ is graciously RMA-ing my unit, and replacing it with one of the SLI models.

- I've tried both ASUS and MSI motherboards in this rig, and prefer the MSI for its BIOS and driver update utility. Details of my mobo trials and tribulations are here:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=29&t..._FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear (http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=29&threadid=1639727&frmKeyword=&STARTPAGE=9&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear)

I have used TigerDirect too (I got the MSI board from them), and like them. If you're in the Chicago or Miami areas, they've got retail outlets there with real live people to talk to, and real live hardware to purchase and take home (I'm just outside of Chicago.) I've also used Magnum PC (http://www.magnum-pc.com), and been very happy with their service and advice.

Good luck, and keep us posted. And keep your fingers crossed for me. With any luck my rig will be back from the dead by the end of the week.

ddsflyer
11-15-2005, 02:46 PM
I'd definitely go for the AMD solution, preferably one of the FX series processors and an NForce4 chipset board. As far as GPU, if you get a Nvidia 7800 series card you will have the fastest available without the need for SLI, which you can always add later and go even faster. Also be sure to get a dedicated sound card and aviod onboard sound to free up your CPU cycles for the game calculations and not sound processing.

horseback
11-18-2005, 02:13 PM
I'm in the midst of gathering my own components for my 6th(I think) homebuilt. My last effort included my first foray into the ATI world (a 9800Pro) and I was impressed by the performance--when it worked, although I may have been sabotaged by a less than ideal mobo (Abit VI7)for it and my 3 GHz P4.

In any case, I'm saving the mobo and processor for last (provisionally an AMD 3500+ 64 bit and an MSI Neo4-F), since they will comprise the most expensive components of the system.

I've gone back to the currently less expensive NVidia video cards --I just found a PCI-E FX6800/256Mb for just under $200 at a local dealer; not being able to try it out on my AGP systems is killing me.

My dilemma of the moment is whether to go with the 64 bit OS, or go with XP Professional; I understand that CH haven't got a set of official drivers for 64 bit systems yet, and I ain't giving up my HOTAS and Pro Pedals 'til I'm dead or CH comes up with Force Feedback versions...

Once I get past the extra expense of Christmas, tho, I'll be looking for the best deals possible to finish it up.

cheers

horseback

arcadeace
11-18-2005, 07:37 PM
I don't know all you plan on running, but 32bit XP will be a sure thing for years to come. At this point I wouldn't want the risk, for all driver hassels, limited applications, and any potential problems maybe/maybe not linked to 64bit. You know what you get with 32bit and can readily share when in need.

Good deal on the FX6800. And good luck.

Treetop64
11-18-2005, 11:00 PM
This is such a cool hobby, aint't it?!

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

-HH-Quazi
11-19-2005, 11:09 AM
It would be cooler if $$$ wasn't an issue, at least for those of us where $$$ is an issue. I would like nothing better than to get my grubby hands on a PCI-E mobo and an X1800XT.

But yes, you are right, it is a cool hobby.

AFJ_Locust
11-19-2005, 12:55 PM
Go with Abit Fatal1ty AN8 SLi
http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=246

KN8 SLi or AN8 32X
http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=310

Go with Duelcore AMD Processor

Go with Nvidia 7800gtx ot gt

Ive Built bolth Intel and AMD like Amd much better

Ati is ok but Id rather go with nvidia now a dayes for the gpu

dbuff
11-30-2005, 06:19 AM