PDA

View Full Version : Why M2 .50 machineguns seem to be weak

NextBarbaPapa
06-14-2005, 04:26 AM
Hello

When a plane was hit by a stream of M2 bullets, it usually caught fire (and consequently exploded), or it's internal ammo storages exploded, or it started loosing it's coolant, oil, fuel.

.50 are not that good at causing structural damage - cannons are much better at that job.

Being on fire was the main reason for ww2 planes kill. In this simulation in my opinion it is too hard to set a plane on fire - for fighters most common reason of instant kill is wing-loss.

This maybe the reason for .50 to seem weak,

thank you

LLv34_Stafroty
06-14-2005, 06:46 AM
yea, i agreed that we font see fueltanks or other parts burn in this game that often, ive wished that too for this sim for long times. Other weapons also had incendiary ammo than .50cal..

VW-IceFire
06-14-2005, 08:03 AM
I think we're confusing an issue with the gun VS the damage model. The .50cal lights plenty of Japanese planes on fire and blows them to pieces.

Its the tougher planes like the FW190 and 109 that people have problems with...and those have been recently tweaked to remove some problems they had with the DM...maybe a bit too far?

VVS-Manuc
06-14-2005, 08:44 AM
The number of bullets shot at a plane is not the anumber of bullets which hit the plane. Do you have a statistic how much percent of your fired shots really hit the target?

crazyivan1970
06-14-2005, 10:19 AM
Can we have 1 thread about 50 cals? Pretty please? Is there a need to start 3,4,5?

snafu73
06-14-2005, 11:16 AM
As a point of interest to any P-51 flyers - whats the maximum number of planes you've shot down in one sortie. (Full real settings)

Is it possible to become 'an ace in a day' with the .50's as they are now?

LLv34_Stafroty
06-14-2005, 11:35 AM
Snafu, i can tell you its easy to come ace with one sortie in P51 in Full real settings as well at WarClouds server.

fordfan25
06-14-2005, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by NextBarbaPapa:
Hello

When a plane was hit by a stream of M2 bullets, it usually caught fire (and consequently exploded), or it's internal ammo storages exploded, or it started loosing it's coolant, oil, fuel.

.50 are not that good at causing structural damage - cannons are much better at that job.

Being on fire was the main reason for ww2 planes kill. In this simulation in my opinion it is too hard to set a plane on fire - for fighters most common reason of instant kill is wing-loss.

This maybe the reason for .50 to seem weak,

thank you

i agree. this sims DM may be the best out right now or it might not be. how ever IMO from what iv seen of the past 2 years or so playn it 2/3 hours every day the DM just does not convay damege well enough. its eather all or nothing in 80% of the case's. iv seen ki84's take hit after hit and not even get a fuil leak from .50s yet iv see hellcats take a short burst and catch fire or lose a wing. the again there are those times when youll hit a ki or zero with just a few hits and thay will break in half.

Grey_Mouser67
06-14-2005, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by LLv34_Stafroty:
Snafu, i can tell you its easy to come ace with one sortie in P51 in Full real settings as well at WarClouds server.

Yes...all you have to do is spray a number of planes and hope they land before you do. It is actually quite easy, but in real life pilots did not get credit for aircraft that landed back at base or those that they did not see go down. The online scoring system really does more harm than good when looking at this complex question.

A better way to phrase the question is how many planes can you shoot down in flames before your or your wingman's eyes... those that you would have gotten credit for in real life...with the D model Mustang...those that you actually saw a pilot bail or auger in?

I'd say the answer is a lot closer to 1 or 2 on the average with a Fw given its current DM and probably 3 with a Bf109...if you are experienced at all.

The other thing is that the time it takes you to kill an opponent is a significant survival or lack there of characteristic of an aircraft.

Fw's and 109's excel at this cause the mk108's kill so quickly. You can get in and get out. If you have to make pass after pass or dog a fellow...you may kill him but you won't get home without attracting a lot of attention and dying yourself and this sort of skews the statistical comparison http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif.

carguy_
06-14-2005, 05:15 PM
Heheheh I also think that now .50cal are undermodelled but ppl who still get good,even better results now make me wonder http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

LLv34_Stafroty
06-14-2005, 09:21 PM
Who talks about landing planes?