PDA

View Full Version : In The Pacific--F4U Corsair

DEY_RamRod_USA
10-10-2004, 12:45 PM
----In the Pacific,the overwhelming strength of the United States was applied with increasing ferocity ln 1943. Dozens of new Aircraft Carriers filled with new fighters such as the <span class="ev_code_RED">Gruman F6F</span> and <span class="ev_code_RED">Chance</span> <span class="ev_code_RED">Vought F4U</span>.
The Japanese were unable to match the US in building ships or Aircraft and were continually forced back and ultimatly had to rely on Kamikaze Tactics.-----
The Airforce did not care for the Bentbird,but after some teething trobles ,the Corsair became immensley popular with both Navy and Marine Pilots. Did you also know that the Royal Navy perfected the Landing of the F4U on a Aircraft Carrier http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif
The Bent Wing Bird had a fabulos War Record with 2,140 victories against only 189 losses.
--Just Some FYI Facts--
Dey_RamRod_USA

Jason Bourne
10-10-2004, 12:51 PM
um, ok:

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/spam1.jpg

Fliger747
10-10-2004, 01:16 PM
Old territory, however this bird continues to generate a lot of interest. It is a fabulous plane if you can learn to to fly it well and become adept at energy tactics.

The old saw has always been that it was initially unsuitable for carrier work. The bugs were actually worked out fairly quickly, but the logistics, parts, supplies, maintaince considerations kept it off of the carriers till it was needed. Till 1944, the Navy felt that a single VF type (the F6F) met it's needs shipboard, simplifying nearly everything.

duffys_tavern
10-10-2004, 08:06 PM
Was hoping we'd see the F4U-1 "birdcage".

Gunny124
10-11-2004, 05:02 AM
Unless I miss my guess and all the reference I have is wrong, we actually will get the -1. It'll be the Corsair Mk.I in FAA colors but a -1 none-the-less. The FAA recieved 94 F4U-1 as is. The marks had eight or so inches shaved off the wing-tips to allow for storage aboard British carriers.

horseback
10-11-2004, 11:03 AM
'Birdcage' Mk Is never saw combat. They were used strictly for training and testing. It does seem likely to me that the 'blown' F4U-1A canopy concept was at least a result of British influence, if not direct participation.

Someone 'borrowed' my Tillman book on the Corsair's operational record (Barret Tillman did books on the Wildcat, Hellcat, Corsair and SBD that are still the Gold Standard over 20 years later) a few years back, and I haven't replaced it yet, so I can't state anything authoritvely, but I believe that the blown hood Corsairs were designated Mk Ia for the FAA, with the F4U-1C/D being Mk IIs.

cheers

horseback

horseback
10-11-2004, 11:08 AM
Just checked the Flyables list again. The F4U-1 is the last flyable a/c on the Allies list, seperate & distinct from the F4U-1A. You'll probably get your birdcage.

cheers

horseback

Fliger747
10-11-2004, 01:34 PM
Historically BuOrd and BuAero were extrodinarially resistant to outside suggestion. Only about 675 or so F4U-1's came off of the line before the F4U-1A mods came to be. This is not to denigrate the FAA achivements in 'working what they had', being in a far more desperate situation. If they had to, USN could have and would have made the F4U carrier worthy, but the excellent F6F WAS THERE!

It did make sense to split the land and shore types as both were needed and it simplified the logistics and maintaince pipelines. The F4U was not NEEDED till late in the war when encountering much increased threat to the fleet Speed is essential in INTERCEPTION, which became critical countering the Kamakaze

horseback
10-11-2004, 02:47 PM
One of the major complaints operators of the Corsair had was the pilot's field of view; the RAF had Malcolm blown canopies as early as the BoB. By the time the Corsair made it's combat debut (February 1943), the idea of a bulged canopy was more a matter of 'well, if they have it, why can't we?'

Any Allied pilot of the time had seen, and to use the contemporary expression, 'mooned' (daydreamed-get your minds out of the gutter) over pictures of the Spitfire. As the only Allied fighter at that time to have performance comparable to the Axis' standard bearers, it was the aircraft that every young Allied fighter pilot itched to get his hands on. That bulged canopy is hard to miss, and more than one bright fellow must have suggested a similar innovation for his own fighter plane. Blown canopy mods were found on razorback Thunderbolts as well as Mustangs, so the Corsair was just as natural a candidate as any other new American model.

The British influence I spoke of was more a matter of showing what was possible than of directly lobbying for the blown hood. The FAA appears to have been more compliant than the RAF, which specified Malcolm canopies for their Merlin Mustangs from the start.

cheers

horseback

Snootles
10-11-2004, 02:56 PM
Birdcage Corsairs were used by the Marines before the navalized -1A mark came off the lines. So they did see American combat use.

Fliger747
10-11-2004, 06:58 PM
Indeed they helped hold the line in the dark days of the Solomons when the light at the 'end of the tunnel' was probably the Tokyo Express.

The Marine Wildcat pilots were smart enough to not turn with the zeros, so their tactics could be writ large with a new plane with a qauntum leap in performance.

horseback
10-11-2004, 08:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Snootles:
Birdcage Corsairs were used by the Marines before the navalized -1A mark came off the lines. So they did see American combat use. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...but not with the Fleet Air Arm of the Royal Navy, which is what I said in the first place. USN/USMC designation was F4U-1, and FAA designation was Corsair Mk I, and rarely the twain would meet once leaving the production line.

cheers

horseback