PDA

View Full Version : Should multiplayer trophies be optional in 100% completion of Brotherhood?

cocoa_sg
11-21-2010, 07:00 PM
I would like your opinions on whether Brotherhood should follow in the footsteps of Uncharted 2, making multiplayer trophies optional if you want to achieve 100% (or a lesser percentage) completion of Brotherhood aka the platinum.

Since I appreciate the single-player element of the last two games, I know of a lot of players who share the same sentiment that multiplayer trophies in Brotherhood should have been optional at least.

I am not really the type of player who plays a lot of multiplayer, for example, to reach rank 50 in Brotherhood. Likewise, it is daunting enough now that multiplayer trophies are now compulsory to achieve 100% completion of Brotherhood, unlike AC2.

So let's start a poll, shall we?

cocoa_sg
11-21-2010, 07:00 PM
I would like your opinions on whether Brotherhood should follow in the footsteps of Uncharted 2, making multiplayer trophies optional if you want to achieve 100% (or a lesser percentage) completion of Brotherhood aka the platinum.

Since I appreciate the single-player element of the last two games, I know of a lot of players who share the same sentiment that multiplayer trophies in Brotherhood should have been optional at least.

I am not really the type of player who plays a lot of multiplayer, for example, to reach rank 50 in Brotherhood. Likewise, it is daunting enough now that multiplayer trophies are now compulsory to achieve 100% completion of Brotherhood, unlike AC2.

So let's start a poll, shall we?

dirty_danty
11-21-2010, 07:25 PM
every game should never include multiplayer trophies because some people might not have online and the game might not be popular enough for people to play online

obliviondoll
11-21-2010, 07:30 PM
Some people buy games for multiplayer and totally disregard the single-player modes.

Should games like Resistance, Red Faction, Call of Duty etc. allow players to get Platinum without having to unlock the single-player trophies?

It's part of the game, it offers its own set of challenges, it's worth counting.

I refuse to vote. I would vote no, but you're implying that the only reason to do so is because you play a lot of multiplayer.

I DON'T play multiplayer much, I just think it deserves respect as a major part of this game's release, and it should count towards the platinum trophy.

stumbuck
11-21-2010, 07:33 PM
They should make a double platinum (or something similar) for people who complete both because some people are unfairly disadvantaged due to circumstances beyond their control with internet connection issues or just they cant even get a internet connection where they live still.

Aipher
11-22-2010, 08:04 PM
When the servers go down in the future, people will effectively be cheated of their money because the platinum is no longer achievable like many other games (if they buy/play the game a few years down the line).

This is a reason they should never be required for platinum. Online trophies are fine, in the form of increased % or a different set of trophies.

I live in Thailand and I am always at a disadvantage when playing online due to lag, so my online play is minimal.

There are several issues with online/multiplayer that ultimately, they should not be a requirement for every single person playing the game. As an option they are fine.

cocoa_sg
11-24-2010, 09:39 AM
Bumping topic to raise more awareness. Thanks for polling!

TheXenon
11-24-2010, 12:18 PM
I already got all of the online trophies but seeing as how I was thinking the same thing I'll vote that they should be optional.

Dougout78
12-03-2010, 01:03 AM
I agree they should be optional if you only have one list of trophies. It would be nice if games that have multiplayer modes could have separate trophy lists for singleplayer and multiplayer. Since, essentially they are two separate games in the same packaging. This would allow people who only play singleplayer to get a platinum trophy and the same for multiplayer, and a super-cool bonus platinum for those who get both.

yellowbeans
12-03-2010, 02:04 AM
No long rant: I think they should be optional.

*I also believe that games should not give you trophies for things you were going to do anyway (e.g. beat a level). You should receive a trophy/award for doing something epic, not what the developers planned for you to do.*

MilsurpShooter
12-03-2010, 09:25 AM
I'm not a hardcore trophy hunter, I usually only try to platinum games that I think were done very well and I enjoy a lot.

Case in point. My two platinum trophies right now are World at War and AC:2. If AC1 had trophies that would have been a platinum as well lol. Currently plan on trying to Platinum 2 games in my library besides AC:Brotherhood.

That said and done, I cringe whenever I see a multiplayer trophy list. Simply for the fact that it makes me play in a different style that I'm not accustomed to or perhaps just don't much care for. Find myself getting caught up in the trophy criteria that I just don't enjoy the game.

Honestly, trophy list for Brotherhoods MP isn't too bad. One or two of them will give me some pause but thankfully it's not one of those god awful "Kill a member of the Ubisoft team or someone who has this trophy" stupid things.

I admit a Multiplayer trophy list adds a new degree of difficulty to a game but sometimes that degree is enough to make me say screw it, not worth wasting that much time on.

cocoa_sg
12-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Bumping topic to raise more awareness to the Ubisoft staff. Thanks again for polling!

With enough people polling, we might hear a response from Ubisoft on this. =3

obliviondoll
12-08-2010, 05:17 PM
Bumping is against forum rules, and your poll is still flawed.

Thanks for reminding me to say (again) that you should fix your options though.

papartusedmcrsk
12-08-2010, 09:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by yellowbeans:
No long rant: I think they should be optional.

*I also believe that games should not give you trophies for things you were going to do anyway (e.g. beat a level). You should receive a trophy/award for doing something epic, not what the developers planned for you to do.* </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed.

Brownsnakeeyes
12-11-2010, 12:15 PM
As far as mp trophys go it shouldnt count simply because some people like myself dont have a possible way of getting cable internet where I live so its not possible to get those trophys or maybe add a local option so I could have two copies for my two playstations. That would make me happy.

rocketxsurgeon
12-11-2010, 12:37 PM
The above poster is a perfect example of why i voted against the inclusion of MP trophies in the platinum.

MP shouldn't be forced on anyone, its an option, an extended feature if you will. It's designed to tide players over until the next release.

Getting to level 50 isn't hard, in fact i found the levelling system a lot more simpler than i had first imagined. However seen as though the single player aspect of this game is so great, and has triumphed in the previous two games, it confuses me as to why they have chosen to include MP trophies in the platinum.

Though it could just be Ubi being smart, those who go out of their way to collect platinums will be forced into the multiplayer, find it addictive and "oh hey look DLC, i'll buy it".

So really, its down to ignorance or marketing, one of the two.

yuanxd
12-11-2010, 12:52 PM
No. It may be difficult to obtain in a legit way, but AC: Brotherhood platinum (and whatever title for all achievements on x360) is one of most worthy to get.

KabouterPitta
12-11-2010, 02:34 PM
In a legit way it is indeed difficult....
And which will make people cheat/boost. Which is unfair to players who want to get it legit.
On the other hand it is to late right now, lots of people have reached 50, and you will hear them complain when it isn't needed for platinum anymore... So just enjoy SP, and look for an other easy platinum..

On the whole I'm against Multiplayer Trophies, because your rewarding the people boosting MP even more... Unless you make the trophy's 100% boost-free.. Then you are allowed to make them as hard as you can in my eyes, as everybody prepared to achieve wont get to see others boost what they have worked for.
And even then, when they are less players on the servers its harder to get those trophies.... So you have to buy it pretty quick, and for a higher price(as prices do lower when time passes by).
I'd say: make 2 platinums, one for SP, and one for MP(but a higher difficulty level then it is right now).

witchlordsameus
12-11-2010, 02:46 PM
I also agree that platinuming should be detatched from the MP for the reasons many have stated, instead they could do a similar system to Killzone 2 for mp with a weekly ranking for mere bragging rights trophies.

cocoa_sg
12-12-2010, 06:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by obliviondoll:
Bumping is against forum rules, and your poll is still flawed.

Thanks for reminding me to say (again) that you should fix your options though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I apologise for the flaws in my poll; I should have added a third option like "No, I feel MP is an integral part of a game and so this is unnecessary." or something like that, for players who do not play a lot of multiplayer like you but still support its trophy inclusion.

Again, sorry for that. But I cannot edit the poll now as it will reset the votes garnered so far. =\

Dangerzone50
12-14-2010, 11:45 AM
I choose option D, There should only be one Platinum, but it should be unlocked when you complete EITHER of the 2 game modes

I have beaten the single player part and done everything, in my opinion I put more effort into brotherhood than i did AC II... so yeah I feel like I should receive a platinum for that

I also see the amount of effort that it will take to complete the multiplayer segment... and i would not want to see anyone be undermined by having the platinum be single player exclusive

So i just think it should be awarded for doing everything there is to do in either of the game modes, and have the other mode just be fodder trophies for the completists

Kutter28
12-14-2010, 02:37 PM
I think there should be two sets of Tropies. I have a friend who lives out of town and doesn't have an internet connection that will let me play on-line which now stops him from getting to Platinum from no purpose of his own. Not much he can do about it.

ubercool777
12-14-2010, 04:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dirty_danty:
every game should never include multiplayer trophies because some people might not have online and the game might not be popular enough for people to play online </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
True, true. I like online, but I didn't get online until about a few months if not about three quarters of a year after I got my PS3.
http://i51.tinypic.com/30hwopy.png
----
All men dream, but not equally. The dreamers of the night dream in the musty recesses of their mind, and awaken to find it was only vanity. The dreamers of the day are dangerous people, for they may try to act their dreams with open eyes.
This I did.

viperspeed
12-20-2010, 01:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rocketxsurgeon:

Though it could just be Ubi being smart, those who go out of their way to collect platinums will be forced into the multiplayer, find it addictive and "oh hey look DLC, i'll buy it".

So really, its down to ignorance or marketing, one of the two. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If this was the plan, it worked. I'm not usually an online gamer. A connection is no problem, but the inability to pause or stop game action due to whatever craziness is going on at my house made it very difficult. However, by including the MP trophies in the Platinum Trophy requirements, Ubisoft forced me to find the time to play MP and I couldn't be happier. I love it.

I've tried a few other MP (COD, Red Dead, BF2) and they just weren't for me, but ACB is another story. I really dig the game and MP gives me a new one every night.

For the record, though, I don't think they should be tied. MP is the only reason I don't have Platinum for Red Dead Redemption.

Josh

luth411
12-20-2010, 02:03 PM
You bought a game with online content. You will need a connection to the internet to experience that content. This is just the way it is. Someone who buys a car with a CD player and owns no CDs will miss out on that functionality. Your friend doesn't have the technology to experience the full product. End of story.

If you're saying that it's a shame, I agree. He knew what he was getting into when he bought the game. There are other virtual rewards to acquire for equally useless ends.

SeekReality
12-20-2010, 02:14 PM
Its called 100% for a reason, and sometimes games use the trohpies/achievements to intice people into doing certain things such as playing the multiplayer, getting 100% single player or playing through on the hardest difficulty.

MCRMJ
12-20-2010, 06:10 PM
Add me to the list of those that would have liked them to be separate. UC2 did it and as far as I know, they didn't have a problem with people not buying DLC.

I worry that we'll end up with a situation like Transformers, the online trophies make up a huge section with that game, yet the online is dead. So no chance of obtaining them.

obliviondoll
12-20-2010, 06:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MCRMJ:
I worry that we'll end up with a situation like Transformers, the online trophies make up a huge section with that game, yet the online is dead. So no chance of obtaining them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's partly because their game's online is more broken than the worst accusations made against Brotherhood.

It was kind of bearable before they released the first map pack, but that was what killed things. They REALLY dropped the ball on that game.

Brotherhood doesn't have that problem, and is being actually maintained, and maps are (so far) not being charged for then forced on players in such a way that not buying them gets you kicked back to the main menu every 2 - 3 matches. Also, while both games share a lack of host migration, Brotherhood has less problems with ragequits from idiots who can't handle losing.

MCRMJ
12-21-2010, 03:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by obliviondoll:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MCRMJ:
I worry that we'll end up with a situation like Transformers, the online trophies make up a huge section with that game, yet the online is dead. So no chance of obtaining them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's partly because their game's online is more broken than the worst accusations made against Brotherhood.

It was kind of bearable before they released the first map pack, but that was what killed things. They REALLY dropped the ball on that game.

Brotherhood doesn't have that problem, and is being actually maintained, and maps are (so far) not being charged for then forced on players in such a way that not buying them gets you kicked back to the main menu every 2 - 3 matches. Also, while both games share a lack of host migration, Brotherhood has less problems with ragequits from idiots who can't handle losing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree that the game was a total mess (TF), I was just using it as an example of people moving on to different things.

I'm probably an average ACO player, can't stand boosters, so by the time I'm competent enough to get the higher variety bonuses for Employee of the Month, I worry there won't be enough players on to get it.

obliviondoll
12-21-2010, 04:57 AM
Don't worry so much. This game has more attention being paid by the devs.

They're not insisting that host migration is irrelevant when it's provably a problem.

They're not making map packs which kick non-owning players out of matches in progress, then making you PAY for the privilege of not getting kicked out of half the games you try to join. Every time a new map pack comes out.

Xovier--
12-30-2010, 05:19 AM
I think multiplayer trophies should be optional because If someone don't have internet connection and he/she really wants to get the Platinum trophy it would be a total fail for the Ubisoft in my opinion. So I vote "YES" they should really be optional and hopefully when that patch comes, I will be able to get Platinum trophy.. Oww I've gotta find these Borgia Flags http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Vengence.76
12-31-2010, 05:01 PM
More options are ALWAYS better. Everyone doesn't play online and to force players to do so just to be able to sell DLC to them later on is a good way to shrivel up your already small fanbase.
And you'd have to be blind if you can't see the only reason they even implemented MP was to sell overpriced DLC in the future. They aren't charging now because they can't get it right, but when they do(assuming they do get it right), rest assured there will be no more free DLC...

gothpunkboy89
12-31-2010, 05:05 PM
i don't mind online trophies. but some of them are a pain. the take the lead with 10 seconds left and win. that isn't a skill trophy like the others thats luck trophy. get all the bonuses in one match is one thing. it requires skill. but that one is just pure luck.

and i hate pure luck trophies. get 5 kills with grenade and 3 kills with one bullet from black ops are another good example of luck over skill.

Koji8123
01-06-2011, 10:05 PM
I've literally just finished getting ALL 101 Borgia flags, including the ones in the Romulus layers. Just to find out that, that doesn't give me a platinum. I DO feel cheated of my money.

DannyStrong
01-06-2011, 10:15 PM
I'm confused. Is there really any reason to desire 100% completion of a game? I mean yeah neat, it's fun to try and get acheivments/trophies. But I don't really think about it all the time. And I'll never know or care if any of my friends have 100% completion in a game.

Riquez
01-07-2011, 02:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dirty_danty:
every game should never include multiplayer trophies because some people might not have online and the game might not be popular enough for people to play online </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

^^^ This ^^^

Riquez
01-07-2011, 03:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mpagano411:
You bought a game with online content. You will need a connection to the internet to experience that content. This is just the way it is. Someone who buys a car with a CD player and owns no CDs will miss out on that functionality. Your friend doesn't have the technology to experience the full product. End of story.

If you're saying that it's a shame, I agree. He knew what he was getting into when he bought the game. There are other virtual rewards to acquire for equally useless ends. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you bought the game a year or two after release & no-one was playing online, it would be impossible to get the trophies.

You DONT know what you are getting into when you buy the game, you dont know that ACB is one of the few games that require online trophies to get platinum.

Also, if I get 100% on ACB & get my platinum & later some DLC adds extra trophies, do I lose my Platinum?

This is why games that are not ONLY ONLINE should never require multiplayer trophies to get 100%

You may agree or disagree with this, but at least there should be a standard rule that all games follow.

Kogia
01-07-2011, 05:03 AM
No, to get platinum you should have to show that you have 'acheived' the full game, not just chosen the parts of the game you like or want.

I loved Uncharted 2, but wasn't bothered about going online, I've got all the offline trophies and none of the online ones, no big deal.

Besides, if you're not online why does it concern you? Go for the achievements in game and enjoy it, what's the stress about displaying 100% if nobody but you can see it?

Kogia
01-07-2011, 05:05 AM
I'd also like to point out as others have said that your poll is once again a flawed poll.

I still voted No, but it's not because I play a lot of online, I just don't like this whinging to be rewarded even though you haven't completed. I say 'rewarded' because it is just a game trophy.

Why do so many people create polls on here with biased options?

MCRMJ
01-14-2011, 04:38 AM

Brotherhood doesn't have that problem, and is being actually maintained, and maps are (so far) not being charged for then forced on players in such a way that not buying them gets you kicked back to the main menu every 2 - 3 matches. Also, while both games share a lack of host migration, Brotherhood has less problems with ragequits from idiots who can't handle losing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's been a while since I posted about the inclusion of the multiplayer trophies and after the latest patch which has introduced plenty of other issues, my concerns have come back.

At the moment, for me at least, the game is headed in the wrong direction. 15-30 mins trying to get in a game, profiles and personas defaulting to blank slates each time you log on (the workaround did not work for me).

What this leaves is a game that people are just going to end up turning away from, the lack of communication about any kind of fixes (or even to acknowledge the problems people have), combined with the game being out for a while now (in gaming years lol) leaves me with little hope of obtaining the rest of the trophies I need for 100%.

I'm currently level 42 and after the patch have been online on ACB for around 6 hours this week and had in total 5 matches (time includes messing with profiles, the rest has been sat waiting for other Abstergo agents). If it continues this way I really don't know if I can be bothered trying for Plat on this.

I'll still pop back on as I love AC, but it's certainly trying my patience at the moment.

MCRMJ
01-14-2011, 04:45 AM
I know the game is 'being maintained', but it's all done on the quiet. The only noticeable things are 'DLC is coming' style updates.

Doesn't matter if it actually is being maintained, it's all about the perception. If the bugs like the profile ones aren't sorted quickly, people will go elsewhere (sadly most gamers have very short attention spans).

BeCk41
01-14-2011, 04:52 AM
I've never played Uncharted so I don't know what you mean by Trophies, But I like customization in games, so I voted yes : )

Airwinz
01-14-2011, 05:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
MP shouldn't be forced on anyone, its an option, an extended feature if you will. It's designed to tide players over until the next release.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

MP is not an "extended feature" its a selling factor do you think AC would of done as well without MP i don't think so. I had only played the first AC and after seeing the MP on this i bought it with no question Single player and Multi Player go hand in hand and the MP will carry a game more than it's single player take CoD for example do you think they really care about the story? not really seen as it last's about 10 minuets and from what i have been told previous AC were longer in terms of story length not things to do were as Brother Hood the main story is shorter yes more things to do but the main focus is the MP.

theHedash
01-18-2011, 09:17 PM
I don't think MP should be included. I've bought all of the assassin creed games for the story and not the multiplayer. AC started of as a story driven game after all. If Ubisoft included online trophies just to get people who were more interested in the story to try the multiplayer then I think they should have made only a few trophies that kind of introduce the mp aspect of the game. After all the poeple who only bought the game for MP most likely won't be interested in trophies anyway. With this you'll be introducing the players who came for the story to the MP aspect and allowing them to make the decision on whether or not they want to continue, but not forcing them to play the MP to get 100 percent.

obliviondoll
01-18-2011, 09:23 PM
To the few people saying that AC is all about the story...

THIS release is heavily biased toward the multiplayer aspect of the game.

They've focused a LOT of effort on making the multiplayer, and integrating it INTO the story.

It's not a sideline for this release. It's a primary selling point.

As for saying "the poeple who only bought the game for MP most likely won't be interested in trophies anyway" - you've got it backwards - the people buying it exclusively for MP are MORE likely to want it for the trophies than single-player-focused gamers are - a lot of people who only care about the story don't have internet, and can't sync trophies, or don't have friends online on the same system, or have other reasons why trophies aren't as important to them which will NEVER be replicated in a multiplayer-focused gamer - they NEED the internet connection for their console to give them the MP experience in Brotherhood, and if they start without friends online, playing the game will get them to meet people to fill that gap pretty fast. Giving them someone to compete with for trophies - something many story-focused gamers don't have.

E-Zekiel
01-18-2011, 10:48 PM
I don't think MP trophies should be mandatory for the platinum in games that are a primary part of the story, which Brotherhood is.

najzere
01-19-2011, 12:45 AM
I voted yes. I would be very, very happy if I didn't have to get Role Model and Abstergo Employee of the Month for platinum, the last two trophies on my list. I'll probably never get Role Model, since I don't play co-op modes, and there is too much luck involved in getting bonuses. A lot of bonuses depend on other players doing something, like getting three people to chase you, or having your target get stunned for grounded, etc. The single-player trophies only require either time or skill.

To me, the best argument is still that not everyone can even play online.

cocoa_sg
02-04-2011, 07:44 PM
As for saying "the poeple who only bought the game for MP most likely won't be interested in trophies anyway" - you've got it backwards - the people buying it exclusively for MP are MORE likely to want it for the trophies than single-player-focused gamers are - a lot of people who only care about the story don't have internet, and can't sync trophies, or don't have friends online on the same system, or have other reasons why trophies aren't as important to them which will NEVER be replicated in a multiplayer-focused gamer - they NEED the internet connection for their console to give them the MP experience in Brotherhood, and if they start without friends online, playing the game will get them to meet people to fill that gap pretty fast. Giving them someone to compete with for trophies - something many story-focused gamers don't have. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are already a few PS3 trophy communities out there - one of which I am already a long-time member: ps3trophies.com.

You will be surprised at the huge number of gamers who appreciate games for their story-telling (and not multiplayer) and yet also appreciate trophies for their worth, like me. There are also leaderboards for comparing trophies and points with others.

Likewise, multiplayer is not reliable enough to keep the current fanbase interested, no matter how good it can be. That is why multiplayer trophies have always been seen to be a scourge on what could have been a quality game, whether with or without multiplayer mode.