PDA

View Full Version : Immersion ?

Martythemerc
06-06-2011, 11:26 PM
I really enjoyed Africa for the lighting, the scenery - from desert to jungle with the wind and animal/insect sounds. Will FC 3 have those immersive qualities?

I'm okay with it being back in the jungle, but I hope it's NOT like the FC1 - special powers spoil the realism - I hope the realism is better than FC2, and that was good. I hope we get more information on open world qualities, and I hope this #3 is NOT linear like FC1. I've been waiting a long time for this new installment, and was "surprised" that it was back in the jungle, but I hope it's not "dumbed down". I await more news.

Poiso42
06-06-2011, 11:35 PM
I'm a little disappointed in the main character, too... after Far Cry 2's themes about the foreigner (and thus your character) being a force for corruption and violence, having a white guy play hero for an Asian people seems a little... iffy.

Even worse if he disregards the islanders to focus upon his girlfriend.

Mis7aPapz D3A7H
06-07-2011, 01:17 AM
I actually preferred the sci-fi elements in the original FarCry and the FCI series. IMO the focus on realism in FarCry 2 was huge let down. I missed the crazy tribals and mutant enemies; that was FarCry to me.

nster81
06-07-2011, 05:41 AM
Seems like there's more of a narrative this time through while still retaining the sandbox element. In Far Cry 2, your character essentially had a meaningless backstory and a different skin. This new protagonist seeems to have more of a purpose and an actual script. Just my two cents.

Mr Cataluchi
06-07-2011, 09:15 AM
The developer made a comment at the end of one of the YouTube videos that hinted this game is going to focus more on realism than sci-fi. He made a statement similar to, "Monsters under the bed don't scare us. The boogey man in the closet doesn't scare us. The guy who breaks through your window at 3 AM with a knife is what scares us." Based on that statement, I have a feeling we're not going to have a Far Cry game with ferral powers...which is fine with me.

Martythemerc
06-07-2011, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Mis7aPapzD3A7H:
I actually preferred the sci-fi elements in the original FarCry and the FCI series. IMO the focus on realism in FarCry 2 was huge let down. I missed the crazy tribals and mutant enemies; that was FarCry to me.

I appreciate what you're saying as we all have preferences, but the "realistic" factor is rarely seen in games. RDR was great for that and that's what I enjoyed about FC2. Most other shooter games have sci-fi elements and special powers - they're a dime a dozen - I really can't "realistically" place myself there fully immersed - like a good book if the realism is not there. On one clip of the new FC3 there was a knife-throwing event - THAT looked "special-powerish" - I mean, no one can be that accurate - it worries me that this version will will not allow a slow methodical immersive and stealthy campaign, but will be all shoot and run like COD ( http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif) - I sincerely HOPE NOT! FC2 was a magnificent piece of art. Let's hope. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

k4Anarky2011
06-07-2011, 11:20 AM
<span class="ev_code_WHITE">yeah I understand what you mean. I read that FC3 will be dialling down. I was really disappointed to hear that.

Remember that time when you were suddenly startled by a guntruck so that you have to run for your life? Remember that RPG guy in that respawning outpost that fire at you as soon as you see him? That's authenticity in video game, that what made Far Cry 2, well, Far Cry 2.

Lots of folks hate it, because they expect their game to be MAINSTREAM, which is to be played THEIR way, at their own pace.

I understand Ubi's appeal to the population. But if you want to emphasize grit and insanity in FC3, taking away the dangers and the unexpected that make Far Cry 2 fun is a BAD, BAD, BAD idea.

As Dan Hay put it, Far Cry 3 is going to be like "The guy that comes in at 3 o'clock in the morning with a knife". But I'm afraid at this rate, it's going to be more like "The guy that comes in at 3 o'clock in the morning with a knife, but find no one but a minigun in his face"</span>

Martythemerc
06-07-2011, 11:33 AM
I hope Albert Einstein's use of his definition of insanity in this version was not tongue-cheek to experiment once again when they (IMO) got it right last time.

I'll miss the fire element - that beautiful grass burning. Not much green vegetation burns last I remember physics/biology ha ha

konradski
06-07-2011, 12:47 PM
it lost immersion as soon as it showed +10/+15 pop up on the screen and became emulsion