PDA

View Full Version : OT: parachute question

GAU-8
04-03-2006, 11:39 PM
.you can parachute from an aircraft

.you can parachute from a cliff (or BASE jump)

but what IF you had no aircraft to take you up, nor a high alt BASE to jump from, and you arent using a vertical wind tunnel to simulate your jumping?

how would you perform your goal?

think about this...

then click here

http://www.para-mag.com/archives/directlive/direct225/qt.html

slo_1_2_3
04-03-2006, 11:54 PM
I thought maybe jumping into that big vertical cave (hole in ground) but I guess I was wrong.

HotelBushranger
04-04-2006, 06:42 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif That's awesome http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

shahram177
04-04-2006, 10:29 AM
me next me next!

GAU-8
04-05-2006, 12:36 AM
ever have the dream where you can fly...then for no known reason..you DROP mid flight...and wake up.

i bet the apex feels a bit like that.

whiteladder
04-05-2006, 08:14 AM
That looks like a seriously dangerous thing to do, where can I get get a go!!

On second thoughts I would probably cry like a girl

SithSpeeder
04-05-2006, 08:52 AM
GAU--

Actually, I don't think you would feel a "DROP", even at the apex. That DROP feeling comes from a sudden change in acceleration (think negative G's) which that guy wouldn't experience while following a natural trajectory. When going up in the catapult, he is experiencing G's greater than one. At the point where he leaves the catapult, he is completely in a 1-G environment until he pulls his chute where he again experiences G's greater than one. Once his chute is fully deployed and he is in stable flight, he is back in the 1-G environment.

Do you ski? Think of it when you hit a jump--you don't really get that stomach-in-the-throat feel during the whole time you are airborne (or when you do a long jump). Similarly, when you jump out of an airplane (when skydiving, for example), you don't get that drop feeling either...it's more like stepping off a chair--everything is moving/accelerating at exactly the same rate.

* _54th_Speeder *

Petey78
04-05-2006, 09:43 AM
SithSpeeder, I think you're wrong about that. Every time I ever stepped off a diving board or jumped off a cliff into the sea, I felt that 'drop' feeling. The 'drop' feeling is felt at any point when the human body has zero G or negative G. When in free fall you experience zero G, same as when you're in a car but not strapped in when you drive at speed over a hump backed bridge - it's all zero G and you sure feel the 'drop' feeling. When diving or jumping I started off from a stationary point, the same as the apex of any trajectory but the smooth application of zero G still brought that 'drop' feeling on. I've also had extreme negative G's whilst flying aerobatics, that is like the drop feeling but a whole lot more painful and unpleasant! Cool video though, those guys have got more balls than I have!

Cheers, Pete

Maverick_MW
04-05-2006, 11:25 AM
Thats one thing that surprised me when I went skydiving, was how there is no feeling whatsoever. You barely even notice you have left the aircraft.

Still, this video seems very dangerous, there's not much of a timeframe to open the chute. Better do it quickly or else you'll fall too fast, and you can't do it before the apex or else I guess you would fall into the chute and plummet to a certain demise.