PDA

View Full Version : On Full Switch servers

dirtdigger54
07-23-2007, 10:20 AM
How important ARE the mix ratios and Prop Pitch????

What exactly does that do, I mean I haven't even keyed them yet. Please don't tell me it makes that much of a difference????

I don't seem to able to keep with others, but I have to assume that is my poor e retention....

Any Info here would be appreciated.

DD

dirtdigger54
07-23-2007, 10:20 AM
How important ARE the mix ratios and Prop Pitch????

What exactly does that do, I mean I haven't even keyed them yet. Please don't tell me it makes that much of a difference????

I don't seem to able to keep with others, but I have to assume that is my poor e retention....

Any Info here would be appreciated.

DD

DmdSeeker
07-23-2007, 10:30 AM
In the game (I've no idea of real life flying):

Prop pitch: 100% (full) for climbing, landing and fighting; drop it back for cruising and to reduce engine heat and fuel use.

Fuel mix: 120% where available for take-off; 100% max over 1000 feet (300 meters); some planes (especially Russian ones) will need to have the mixture reduced further at high alts. Symptoms are rough running, lack of power and leaving smoke trails. In something like a Yak "high alt" can be as low as 10,000 feet .

And while you're getting used to all that, remember the superchargers, you'll need to map to those too.

SeaFireLIV
07-23-2007, 10:46 AM
Well, depending on the plane you fly it can make an enormous difference.

You`re generally ok if you want to fly a Spifire or similar but with other planes others will have a slight advantage over you if you never use them. For instance, they may use their Prop Pitch to get more `drive` out of their engine (or `bite` from the prop as some say) giving them an advantage in power.

With other planes Mixture is quite important. If you are flying low (nap of the earth) and want to maximise your engine efficency you`ll want 120 mix. how does this help?

Well imagine you`re chasing a bogey he goes low and fast to get away. He doesn`t know about his mixture, never uses it, you do. You change to 120 and get that little extra speed... He doesn`t expect that, you catch him and shoot him down, he whines on ORR that the 109 or whatver is porked!

If you go very higher, you`ll want to low your mixture to about 80 or even 60 otherwise you`ll leave a trail of smoke, bust your engine eventually and alert enemies to your presence. Again be careful with this, I went to 40 once and my engine stopped completely!

This is just my experience in the field online, don`t expect technical waffle, I just fly the plane!

xTHRUDx
07-23-2007, 10:51 AM
think of 100% prop pitch as 1st gear, 95% as second gear, 90% as 3rd gear, etc....

if you're going down hill in your car, will go faster in 1st gear or 5th gear? i think you see my analogy.

TgD Thunderbolt56
07-23-2007, 11:25 AM
Also, to address your self-described inability to keep up with others; The most common reason for speed discrepencies is failure to properly trim your aircraft for the flight attitude you want.

Trim is done incrementally with most trim surfaces only responding after about 2-3 clicks for every subsequent setting. For instance, when I fly a P-47 I apply 3 clicks of right aileron trim, 2 clicks of right rudder trim and 9 clicks of negative elevator trim. These settings provide the best neutral flight characteristics for me at about 15,000ft in cruise, but all trim settings need to be adjusted constantly depending on your airspeed.

TB

VMF-214_HaVoK
07-23-2007, 06:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Also, to address your self-described inability to keep up with others; The most common reason for speed discrepencies is failure to properly trim your aircraft for the flight attitude you want. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif