PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - few questions

jg1234
11-01-2004, 12:40 AM
Folks,

I have been away from flight sims for some time. I feel in love with EAW a few years back and was told to check out IL-2.

My questions.

1. I prefer mission variety and ground attack options with good graphics. Is Il-2 original or IL-2 FB better for this ??

2. I have a PIIII 2.6ghz, 512 DDR Single SDRAM, and a Nvidia FX 5200 128 MB video card. Are my specs good enough to run high ground detail ?? - if not - where is my weak point ??

3. Are there any add ons that add new ground targets or new campaigns ??

Any suggestions or posts would be appreciated. Thanks - jg1234

jg1234
11-01-2004, 12:40 AM
Folks,

I have been away from flight sims for some time. I feel in love with EAW a few years back and was told to check out IL-2.

My questions.

1. I prefer mission variety and ground attack options with good graphics. Is Il-2 original or IL-2 FB better for this ??

2. I have a PIIII 2.6ghz, 512 DDR Single SDRAM, and a Nvidia FX 5200 128 MB video card. Are my specs good enough to run high ground detail ?? - if not - where is my weak point ??

Any suggestions or posts would be appreciated. Thanks - jg1234

MaxMhz
11-01-2004, 01:08 AM
-1- Either would do... But remember later games (FB / AEP /PF) all add maps, planes (AI And flyable) and objects, so newer is better.

-2- Specs are good enough to run perfect on 1024x768 - big maps (FB/AEP/PF) might need 1GByte of system RAM, but will run OK too.

-3- Many missions, campaigns, sound add-ons etc. on http://www.netwings.org/library/ under il2-sturmovik or il2-Forgotten Battles. Custom skins are on www.il2skins.com (http://www.il2skins.com)

STENKA_69.GIAP
11-01-2004, 01:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jg1234:
1. I prefer mission variety and ground attack options with good graphics. Is Il-2 original or IL-2 FB better for this ?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Graphics is stunning - nothing else can match it at the moment. FB, FB + AEP or FB + AEP +PF will give you more planes and maps. You can download a huge quantity of missions from the community - but most will be available for the latest versions
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Add another 512Mb of RAM if you want stutter free play with big maps on later FB versions. Card is weak - you wont get to perfect gound detail - but you will get to good.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thousands of missions are downloadable from the web and with the full mission builder you can make your own or adapt other peoples.

jg1234
11-01-2004, 01:51 AM
Thanks folks,

I appreciate the response and especially the links. To clarify - how much of an improvement are the graphics in FB ? - really big or just slightly ??

Thanks - jg1234

MaxMhz
11-01-2004, 02:09 AM
FB adds dust on low level flight (below 10m), water spray, reflective water (trees and clouds, not objects reflected), different forest density (and different tree types) more detailed clouds, more (MUCH more) planes to fly and 1024x1024 custom skins instead of 512x512, and new maps.

AEP adds planes and maps.

PF adds more planes and very big maps, and Aircraft carriers http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif