PDA

View Full Version : Chemical compound...

Kieran_Y
11-26-2007, 01:15 AM
Does anyone know the significance of the chemical compound that appears prominently through the game and most apparent through the glitches? On that note any organic chemists out there good enough to give the IUPAC name of the compound?! Challenging

cooldude6681
11-26-2007, 01:30 AM
The assemblage of atoms that keeps flashing across the screen is actually a physical impossibility, as it is composed of dual-bonded hydrogen atoms. It is there purely for artistic purposes.

Kieran_Y
11-26-2007, 01:50 AM
hadn't noticed that. I was trying to look for a solid picture somewhere so i could try to figure out what it is. However, it should be noted that although highly unstable, you can have pentavalent carbon atoms. So a double bonded hydrogen atom could be possible, but unstable.

cooldude6681
11-26-2007, 02:04 AM
Indeed? I didn't know that. There is now slightly less ignorance in the world. Thank you.

*Ponders this new information*

Kieran_Y
11-26-2007, 03:27 AM
well i guess the question still remains though, why is there even such a depiction in the first place? Considering theres many symbols at the end of the game, this must have some significance.

Muri777
11-26-2007, 03:59 AM
http://media.g4tv.com/images/blog/2007/05/23/633155133308820221.jpg

Muri777
11-26-2007, 04:03 AM
In the pic above, wee see that it shows Nitrogen connecting up to 3 things with one double bond which is impossible, since nitrogen has a valency of 3 , meaning it cannot connect to more than 3 things, which in this case is connected to 3 with 1 double bond.

I think it also contains Adenine and/or Guanine, which is kina like a nitrogen base ribonucleic acid, otherwise known as dna (some sort of it)

katz_bg
11-26-2007, 05:50 AM
Also the Oxigen has a valency of 2 (and/or 6), where as here we see at tied with three and four bonds.
I haven't had chemistry classes for over two years now, but some things are easy to remember.

Kieran_Y
11-26-2007, 01:04 PM
yeah there might have been an adenine or guanine in there, but there are oxygens contained within those cyclic systems instead of only nitrogen and carbon. The closest one in there would be uracil, but again its external bonds are questionable. It might have been ubisoft's take on "memory DNA" if you can even call it that. It's also lacking any sugar and phosphate groups for it to be DNA(or RNA).

brance
11-27-2007, 06:52 PM
http://i3.tinypic.com/82jg1vd.jpg

In this picture, you can see several double bonded Hydrogens. This would be just about the most unstable atom known to man if all these atoms were arranged like this. Ubisoft tried to pass this off as a DNA molecule, but us nerds know that like the previous poster said, there are no nitrogenous bases or pentoses. Ok, i'm done nerding around.

Muri777
11-27-2007, 10:04 PM
I dont think Ubisoft would just put random elements together and hope for the best... It probably is something, but knowing it surpasses our knowledge lol... Someone email Ubi...

Royal.Mist
11-28-2007, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by Muri777:
I dont think Ubisoft would just put random elements together and hope for the best... It probably is something, but knowing it surpasses our knowledge lol... Someone email Ubi...

Why does it have to have a meaning? Because you say so?

Kieran_Y
11-28-2007, 03:32 AM
"Why does it have to have a meaning?" Do you like randomness?

bobbylucifer
11-28-2007, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by Muri777:

The molecule would not exist more than a femtosecond in a form so unstable, Ubisoft HAVE just put random atoms together to make what looks like DNA to them.

GoddamElectric
11-28-2007, 11:07 AM
Yeah that compound couldn't exist for any measurable amount of time, and would take some kind of weird freak accident/miracle to even come about in the first place! I looked at this post at work (I work in a hospital lab) and showed it to my boss, he also agreed that it wouldn't work. Then he asked why I was looking at something not work related lol! thankfully hes quite easy going http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Can't understand why they didnt just look up the structure of DNA and put that in...

However that said there may be some kinda pattern in there that could mean something, not neccessarily chemical or DNA related...if there is let me know because I really can't be bothered to look myself lol!

@ Keiran - could you explain how the pentavalent carbon compounds could come about? it kinda rings a bell but it's been a few years since i did chemistry at college. If its too hard to explain over the forums/without diagrams then don't worry about it!

Muri777
11-28-2007, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Royal.Mist:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Muri777:

Why does it have to have a meaning? Because you say so? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm i don't recall saying that it had to have a meaning...I dont know where you pulled that from. So let me just show you what i wrote:

I dont think Ubisoft would just put random elements together and hope for the best... It probably is something, but knowing it surpasses our knowledge lol... Someone email Ubi...[/

eliteassassin69
11-28-2007, 10:23 PM
another pointless post by mist http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I bet they may have just made it random

Dunno
12-01-2007, 08:36 PM
Please guys, just answer the question and leave. it's DNA.

dirtybird21
12-01-2007, 08:40 PM
Maybe it has something 2 do with the piece of eden? And what it is made out of? Or the animus? idk. Just ideas... Idk much about chemical compounds and what-not... I hardly know the difference between mRNA and tRNA lol.

ocataco
12-01-2007, 09:00 PM
as annoying and/or pointless as it is to continue;

it has to be real or have meaning because ubisoft goes to far too many details in their naming things, historical accuracy, etc
-i.e. abstergo, the leap of faith thing, the garden, etc. -
to just go and make up something that pointless/impossible/random in the hope that it looks like dna.

stix489
12-01-2007, 09:02 PM
Hey dirtybird...Taco!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Kieran_Y
12-01-2007, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Dunno:
Please guys, just answer the question and leave. it's DNA.

well if you take the time to look at it, it's not DNA or RNA for that matter.

I think that chemical compound may be a neurotransmitter of sorts thats is synthesized after exposure to the Eden thing. This maybe somewhat akin to the way Vitamin D3 is synthesized in the skin after exposure to ultraviolet B radiation.