PDA

View Full Version : Regarding VAT redux

TheRealPotoroo
03-07-2007, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Ubi_Rickas:
Sadly any orders taken outside of the UK when purchasing a UK product will include VAT. As when purchasing from any UK site VAT is always included in the purchase.
I don't know where you got your information but as a matter of UK and EU law it is simply wrong.

I have from time to time bought products online from the UK, from sites like Amazon.co.uk and Sendit.com. Since I live outside the EU I have never been charged UK VAT from any UK online site except Ubisoft's.

As an example of how it should work according to the law, I quote from the UK Amazon web site:

<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">VAT for EU customers outside the UK

Amazon.co.uk is required by law to collect VAT on orders for goods (including e-Books) dispatched to most countries within the European Union. For EU customers outside of the UK, amounts of VAT charged are in accordance with the local legislation in each country.

Customers outside of the EU

Goods sold by Amazon.co.uk that are dispatched to addresses outside of the European Union are generally not subject to EU VAT.</span>

The fact is that Ubisoft's "UK" online store both charges the wrong rate of VAT to EU customers outside the UK (VAT on software & PC & video games is not applicable for Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Romania, the Slovak Republic and Slovenia; other EU countries have different VAT rates, sometimes less than 17.5%, sometimes more) and improperly charges UK VAT to customers like myself outside the EU, to whom it is simply inapplicable.

I strongly suggest you revisit this with your management and this time get appropriately qualified advice, perhaps starting with HM Revenue & Customs (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/).

mdetelic
03-08-2007, 06:32 AM
I was hoping for a refund, but on HM Revenue & Customs says:

"When you visit the UK you will pay VAT on most things you buy. You may be able to take advantage of a scheme allowing you to claim back the VAT you have been charged on most of the goods you take out of the EC."

"The scheme does not include:
(...)
* mail order goods including those purchased over the internet
(...)"

VAT Refunds for visitors from non-EC countries (http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageVAT_InfoGuides&propertyType=document&id=HMCE_CL_001212)

TheRealPotoroo
03-08-2007, 06:53 AM
Yes, but that same site also says explicitly that UK VAT does not apply outside the UK and the Isle of Man. Amazon UK are applying the law correctly, Ubisoft are not.

I repeat, I have never been charged VAT on a purchase from any UK online store until now. It should never have happened.

GhostRiderfr1
03-10-2007, 09:40 PM
Goods sold by Amazon.co.uk that are dispatched to addresses outside of the European Union are generally not subject to EU VAT.

Maybe "Generally" could be your answer ?

Anyway, when I bought headers and an intake manifold for my Camaro in the USA, I did pay the US VAT... and I live in France...

TheRealPotoroo
03-11-2007, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by GhostRiderfr1:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Goods sold by Amazon.co.uk that are dispatched to addresses outside of the European Union are generally not subject to EU VAT.
Maybe "Generally" could be your answer ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not in this case. The Amazon page says generally because there are different classes of items that are sometimes taxed differently. In this case it flat out does not apply and what Ubi_Rickas said is wrong. Reading between the lines I think what he's really saying is "Ubisoft could not be bothered doing the right thing". Just because a corporation makes a statement does not mean it is so.

Anyway, when I bought headers and an intake manifold for my Camaro in the USA, I did pay the US VAT... and I live in France...
The US does not have VAT. Some states have sales tax, although it usually does not apply to interstate or international sales.

GhostRiderfr1
03-11-2007, 06:47 AM
The US does not have VAT. Some states have sales tax, although it usually does not apply to interstate or international sales.

Whatever you call it, as long as it is an additionnal tax that I have to pay, it's the same than VAT for me, and I did pay those taxes for my aftermarket parts...

Kaleun1961
03-21-2007, 12:48 PM
I'm still in confusion. I just received my copy of SH4 via Purolator. The packing slip says it was from Ubisoft EMEA Online Store from a French address. Further down the page it states Origin of goods: France. So, could someone please explain how something shipped from France to Canada has VAT, which I assume is only a UK tax?

TheRealPotoroo
03-21-2007, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Kaleun1961:
I'm still in confusion. I just received my copy of SH4 via Purolator. The packing slip says it was from Ubisoft EMEA Online Store from a French address. Further down the page it states Origin of goods: France. So, could someone please explain how something shipped from France to Canada has VAT, which I assume is only a UK tax?
It's consistent with European law to charge the rate of VAT applicable to the country of destination within the EU. IOW, although the Ubi "UK" online store is in fact based in France, it is proper to charge the UK VAT on sales to the UK and the Isle of Man rather than the French VAT. It should not have been applied to any sale outside the EU in the first place. However, as I've discovered, the relevant tax authorities are not exactly falling over themselves to put an end to this unlawful tax collecting since we the victims of this rip off have no lawful recourse to force the issue short of personally going to Europe and suing.

I will say Ubisoft is the only European company ever to have ripped me off like this. Companies like Amazon don't. This is the first time I have ever been charged UK VAT on purchases from a UK online store - and I can prove it since I keep my receipts.

Kaleun1961
03-24-2007, 01:59 PM
Guess this issue is as good as dead.

TheRealPotoroo
03-25-2007, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Kaleun1961:
Guess this issue is as good as dead.
Taxation authorities rarely complain about overcollecting. HM Revenue & Customs basically said it's a French issue.

Funderwear
03-25-2007, 01:04 AM
This has been an issue with me as well. UBI are obviously not dumb enough to mistakenly charge VAT tax to those outside the UK and EU, so they're basically knowingly applying tax to those it doesn't apply to.

Combine that with the ridiculous shipping charges for their products, and the Deluxe Edition is virtually unattainable for all those without disposable incomes. If I paid all their charges just to get the Deluxe Edition, it would cost me over $170.