PDA

View Full Version : Useful laptop help

neil_1821
04-07-2005, 11:53 AM
Hi,
Over the past few weeks i have been through hell trying to get all of the flight simulators to work on my laptop. I thought i might post the changes i performed in order to get them working for other users to read/use.
The first problem i had was that i couldn't select my video card in the setup as it had been invented after the release of the game. To change this you simply put the video settings to safe mode and by doing this you get the best performance out of your laptop. (This is only done if you can't select your video card).
The second problem i had was that i didn't get a background picure when it loaded up and that it kept freezing when i loaded a mission. This was because i only had 8mb of RAM for the video card. To overcome this you simply enter the setup when botting your computer (usually by pressing f2) and you change it to 126mb, which is the highest setting. This allows you to have smooth gameplay and also the best graphics.
I hope this helps someone

neil_1821
04-07-2005, 11:53 AM
Hi,
Over the past few weeks i have been through hell trying to get all of the flight simulators to work on my laptop. I thought i might post the changes i performed in order to get them working for other users to read/use.
The first problem i had was that i couldn't select my video card in the setup as it had been invented after the release of the game. To change this you simply put the video settings to safe mode and by doing this you get the best performance out of your laptop. (This is only done if you can't select your video card).
The second problem i had was that i didn't get a background picure when it loaded up and that it kept freezing when i loaded a mission. This was because i only had 8mb of RAM for the video card. To overcome this you simply enter the setup when botting your computer (usually by pressing f2) and you change it to 126mb, which is the highest setting. This allows you to have smooth gameplay and also the best graphics.
I hope this helps someone

FoolTrottel
04-07-2005, 12:58 PM
Hi Neil,

Nice you figured out a way to get more video RAM active!

But, be aware this video-ram will probably cost you some of the normal RAM !
You've now assigned 126Mb of RAM to your VidCard, meaning 512 minus 126 left for running (the rest) of the game!
(I'm not entirely sure, but if you check a newly run DxDiag, you might find that proven...)
As the minumum for PF is a 64Mb vidcard, you might turn it a bit down in favor of the gameplay.
Maybe only try this when you get stutters....it's all 'bout balance here.

Oh, yeah, and thanks for posting your good results back here!
Very helpfull, and a great learning experience for others ! (Including me)