PDA

View Full Version : THIS SHOW IS GREAT!!!!

Bearcat99
01-30-2005, 07:13 PM
Secret Aircraft of the Soviet Union.... History Channel NOW!! If you have it watch it!!! It is great. I had no idea how good the Soviets were untill I got IL2 and started to do some research.. but after seeing this I am even more amazed at how good they could have been if Stalin had not been such an @ss.

Bearcat99
01-30-2005, 07:13 PM
Secret Aircraft of the Soviet Union.... History Channel NOW!! If you have it watch it!!! It is great. I had no idea how good the Soviets were untill I got IL2 and started to do some research.. but after seeing this I am even more amazed at how good they could have been if Stalin had not been such an @ss.

noshens
01-30-2005, 07:29 PM
I love the show too. Lots of info on BI and other aircraft that I didn't even know exist. Hehe

civildog
01-30-2005, 07:29 PM
But is it good enough to stop the Luftwhiners?

noshens
01-30-2005, 07:31 PM
yes, CivilDog. When they said that soviet a/c had few guns but if they hit they were likey to score and that soviets had small a/c with big engines, I thought, that got to stop the Lufthwhiners.

noshens
01-30-2005, 07:34 PM
lol @ flying tank. WE GOT TO HAVE IT IN THIS GAME!

civildog
01-30-2005, 07:41 PM
We do have a flying tank: the IL2m3!

Nah, the Luftwhiners have too much inertia. It's all Hartmann's fault. If he hadn't shot down nearly every plane in the VVS (along with Graf, Galland, and Grislawski) the Luftwhiners wouldn't think they are supposed to be able to do the same without breaking a sweat or spilling thier latte.

heywooood
01-30-2005, 08:13 PM
mmmmmm...latte....

Udidtoo
01-30-2005, 08:24 PM
The flying tank? please the flying submarine stole the show. Now where's my copy of Crimson Skies ....................

Bearcat99
01-30-2005, 08:56 PM
I liked that twin boom ramjet thing...

Red_Russian13
01-30-2005, 10:07 PM
Yes, it was a very good show I thought. I had been waiting for it all week (and remembered about it thanks to some members of this community).

It was good to see all that footage that you don't see much of ever. There was some great footage. The BI footage was interesting in particular.

Good show!

JR_Greenhorn
01-30-2005, 10:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bearcat99:
I liked that twin boom ramjet thing... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Bear, was it the "Izdeliye D" or something (I think that's what it's called)? Conventional propellor-powered, but with a ramjet in each boom? A pre-war project destroyed by German bombing early in the war. Am I on the right track?

I stumbled across that one on the internet a while back, and have found next to nothing about it otherwise. (not that I've looked that hard)

I missed the show because I was on the road tonight. I had my wife tape it for me, but I won't see her or the show for a week. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

VO1-VC
01-30-2005, 10:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CivilDog:
But is it good enough to stop the Luftwhiners? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This type of discussion is mute. Germany lost the war, despite the Dora, Bf-109, et al. Play the game and enjoy, but the fact remains, the allies and their aircraft prevailed in WW2. Il-2 is not going to change history!

civildog
01-30-2005, 10:50 PM
uh....I was joking. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Hunter82
01-31-2005, 06:23 AM
yeah when you lock people in the basement with the threat of death to their family and themselevs it usually brngs out the creativity in people

Bearcat99
01-31-2005, 07:25 AM
LOL..... yeah...... Not that it's funny. But some of that stuff was going on before the war. I had no idea the I16 was such a pioneer.. a cutting edge product in its time..... I like those shots of the IL2 also...... that one thing that had the 37 & 20 mm cannon... OUCH!! Talk about PUNCH. I had laways thought that the Mig 15 was an aquired german design..... but apparently not.

PBNA-Boosher
01-31-2005, 07:39 AM
Missed the show, but I remember seeing a piccy of an I-153 with ramjets once...
EDIT: I think this was the pic:

http://ww2photo.mimerswell.com/air/su/poli/05116.jpg

Capt._Tenneal
01-31-2005, 07:56 AM
I saw the show too. When they described other conventional Russian aircraft as having rockets too, I swear they showed an La-5 or La-7 taking off rocket assisted !

Too many good stuff in this show. I hope Oleg wasn't watching or else the add-on will be delayed again due to inclusion of the BI-1 with ramjets ! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Udidtoo
01-31-2005, 09:37 AM
When its run again it is defo worth the watch. Even if your no fan of "Might have beens " and, "never flew" type aircraft. The footage of so many beautifly restored I-16's in flight is worth the price of admission. That big ol radial purrs.

Stiglr
01-31-2005, 10:28 AM
I was actually hoping to see something, anything in that footage that would indicate a reason why the Bi-1 deserves to be in the planeset. Alas....it was just as much a waste of time (gamewise) as I always suspected.

Did you hear some of the ridiculous "specs" for the flying tank? It could be towed at about 100 mph??? The flying sub could move at a whole 3 knots? For a shooting war, that's all but useless.

Call_me_Kanno
02-01-2005, 04:17 PM
Just watched the tape of this show and it was very good, very informative. Imagine what what they might have developed if uncle Joe had not been afraid to fly.

SeaFireLIV
02-01-2005, 04:31 PM
I didn`t see this program, wish I could. But the reference to the I16 from you guys sounds like you`re talking about Polikarpov who continued the work of the I16 from prison. No wonder the I16 looks so `stepped on!`

LeadSpitter_
02-01-2005, 08:39 PM
btw did you see the guncam of how the il2 shtrumovik which had incrediable loss rates without a rear gunner and even with one the la and yak burst into flames in many clips like zeros. from german 20mm or 7.62.