PDA

View Full Version : sub differnces

Walsh.D
08-03-2005, 06:40 PM
What is the diff. between the VIIIB and the VIIIC as near as I can tell from the sopecs the only diff is a slightly differnt dive time. is it worth the upgrade? Id rather save the points for an IX if it's not worth it. Thanks!

joepie95
08-03-2005, 08:17 PM
Munny,
I've only been sailing the type VIIB so far, but I remember having read some comments that the upgrade to the VIIC is indeed not worth your renown. So my suggestion is: hell the dive time, stick with the VIIB.

Kaiser_W
08-03-2005, 10:43 PM
The VIIC has more conning tower options including a heavy FLAK option which the VIIB does not.

captsteubie
08-04-2005, 02:22 AM
I recently switched and have discovered no difference so far. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

horribleron
08-04-2005, 02:59 AM
Yea, flak guns get real useful starting in 1942. Hardly used them before then. Now, I man them all the time in 1943 (when I'm not hiding under water). The VIIC has better flak gun options but that is about it. The IXC with the Type 3 conning tower has 2 dual 20mm guns and a 37mm gun. But be forewarned - if you get a Type IX boat they will send you on long missions on the other side of the Atlantic all the time. Starting in Dec 1942 the allies start basing planes out of the Azores making those nice leisurely cruises across the pond a memory. I got attacked all the way across in my current mission. I'm going to take a southern route home south of the Azores to see if there are fewer planes. The north of the Azores route is a nightmare. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Horribleron

Trydan
08-04-2005, 06:56 AM
The question is whether you wish to stay on the Typ-VII development path, or upgrade to a Typ-IX as soon as you can. If it is the latter, then save your reknown-points and you'll be able to afford a Typ-IX sooner.

However, you may wish to stay with Typ-VII. The patrol-regions are different, the maneuverability is better, the lower torpedo-payload means returning to base more often (and hence more missions), and there are better flak options, but a poorer deck gun.

It comes down to playing style and personal taste.

paulhager
08-04-2005, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Trydan:
The question is whether you wish to stay on the Typ-VII development path, or upgrade to a Typ-IX as soon as you can. If it is the latter, then save your reknown-points and you'll be able to afford a Typ-IX sooner.

However, you may wish to stay with Typ-VII. The patrol-regions are different, the maneuverability is better, the lower torpedo-payload means returning to base more often (and hence more missions), and there are better flak options, but a poorer deck gun.

It comes down to playing style and personal taste.

I concur with this. Keep the VIIB and wait to upgrade to at least a IX-C. I personally don't mind the long missions. I just crank things up to 1024 and do other things. A few weeks ago, the "other thing" was reading "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince".

Walsh.D
08-04-2005, 01:21 PM
yuppers im going to wait and get the big boy, I want lots of fishies! one last noobie question, should i upgrade my engine while I grind twords 9k reknown? or just keep the 500 points? I would like to be able to get more than 3 knots in silent mode, will this do the trick?

Thanks guys

Dolemite-
08-04-2005, 02:57 PM
You'll regret picking the IX once you find yourself surrounded by destroyers http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Walsh.D
08-04-2005, 03:04 PM
yea? I really want more torps though... dosent the IX carry 20+?

lecek
08-04-2005, 06:40 PM
Official game data aside, it is possible the VIIC can dive deeper without damage. I am going to try this out soon as I have upgraded to the C model for the first time. I intend to stay with the VII line for a change this carrer.

CRSutton
08-05-2005, 03:45 PM
Type IX was bigger with more torps and long range but slower to dive and turn and easier to detect. Most German captains prefered the VII and felt they would have a better chance to survive. By 1944, the point was moot-both were deathtraps.

fizilbert
08-05-2005, 03:52 PM
By 1942 or '43 you'll appreciate that 3 seconds the VIIC shaves off the dive time. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif