PDA

View Full Version : Engine Stall

Chr1s1968
10-25-2008, 09:45 AM
I put my I-16 into a steep dive and the engine stalled. How do you start the engine again? The start key does not seem to work.

ImMoreBetter
10-25-2008, 09:51 AM
Some of the earlier planes (The I-16 being one of them), use a float carburetor system. When you pull a negative G maneuver, fuel can no longer get to the engine, so it stalls.

You have to pull out of your negative G maneuver, and wait a few seconds before you can restart it.

gorkyporky
10-25-2008, 10:23 AM
The way to know if your plane has the float carburator system is to jolt the stick forward and then pull up and see if the engine stutters up a bit. Thats what i do. Also, i have found that on some planes you cant start the engine if you have 100% throttle. Some dont even start, and some start very slowly, almost like they dont want to.

crucislancer
10-25-2008, 10:51 AM
I'm so used to mid to late war planes that I tend to forget that little detail when I have to fly early war planes.

I recall one online DF where I was chasing a Stuka at 4000 feet while in a Hurri Mk I, and he pulled a neg G maneuver, and like a dummy I followed. It took nearly all of that 4000 feet to get the engine restated, it would start to turn over, then stop again. It made for an interesting dogfight.

Xiolablu3
10-25-2008, 11:07 AM
Once you have flooded the engine, its sometimes hard to get the engine going again.

try and wait a while before you start again. or put the plane in a dive to get the prop spinning fast before you try.

Bremspropeller
10-25-2008, 11:08 AM
Some a/c don't have an on-board starter.

You'd better not stall their engines http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Stingray333
10-25-2008, 11:29 AM
Try changing your throttle settings. I don't know if it is purposely this way in the game, or if it is just my luck, or something else, but I notice that if my engine stops while flying (sometimes from damage, sometimes I hit the start/stop button accidentally, etc), that trying to start it in the air with the throttle either at 0% of at 85% or higher often results in a failed start, even several times in a row, but if I "play" with the throttle while it is starting, usually in the 5-35% range, then it starts much better.

Again, I don't know if this is "official" in any sense, but it just seems to work for me. That being said, it does seem to be aircraft specific, as some planes seem to start fine in the air with the throttle at any setting.

Stingray

PhantomKira
10-25-2008, 02:07 PM
The Cessna 172, 152, Piper 180, and Taylorcraft all require that you "crack" the throttle prior to start. Meaning setting it just above idle for start. I do this, setting throttle for 10-20%, for all aircraft except the FW-190 (which states, on the throttle quadrant, "Start" at throttle full forward position), and have never had a problem starting.

TX-EcoDragon
10-25-2008, 07:26 PM
In reality it should generally start without any effort on our part once + g is restored. Different versions of the sim have required that you cycle the magnetos from both to off, and then back, before pressing "I" to start them. Using around 10-15% throttle when doing this also helps.

The starter itself shouldn't be required since the prop will continue to windmill in most cases, and the magnetos therefore are still providing spark, so once fuel returns, and in proper amount, the engine should once again be running. . .Oleg has improved the realism of this sort of thing but you may still need to press I and set power around 10-15% to get a restart.

Chr1s1968
10-25-2008, 10:55 PM
Thanks guys

VW-IceFire
10-26-2008, 07:30 AM
I think you have to be going at least 230kph IAS to get the prop windmilling enough to get it to crank over and start up again. I always remember that the procedure was...if the engined stalled...to nose over gather some speed and try and start the engine. Usually took a few times.

general_kalle
10-27-2008, 11:02 AM
i dont know if it realistic but i usually do following:

put the plane to a gentle dive, a few degrees.
then turn the engine off and then on again
hitting i key 2 or 3 times rapidly.

WTE_Galway
10-27-2008, 09:33 PM
I have had to land I16's on a road and then takeoff again because they refused to restart at low altitude http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Semi -related question.

All aircraft in this sim can be restarted in the air yet some of them clearly did not have electric starters. For example I have seen photo's of early Emils being started by a crank winding up a clockwork mechanism for example.

Is this realistic ? If an aircraft has no electric start could you restart it just from prop spin ?

TX-EcoDragon
10-28-2008, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
If an aircraft has no electric start could you restart it just from prop spin ?

Yes.

M_Gunz
10-28-2008, 03:05 AM
Like bump starting a car or bike.

TX-EcoDragon
10-28-2008, 03:11 AM
Yes except unlike those examples, the ignition system is firing simply because the prop is turning - there is no need for a separate electrical system/battery in an aircraft with magnetos.