PDA

View Full Version : difficult and combat in AC2

adarwinter
11-23-2009, 11:34 AM
im still waiting for the PC version to come out so im asking you, the ones who played the 360\ps3 version -

Question about the challenge of combat:

AC1 was one of the least challenging games i ever played. i had to use a hack to reduce my sync-bar to 3 instead of 17 to have any sense of danger and challenge in the game.

my questions are regarding the challenge of combat -
is it as p!ss easy as in AC1?
do the guards use defense break more often so i wouldnt be able to hold "block" and go take a coffee break?
can the counter still be abused until everyone is dead?
can i NOT buy any armor upgrade and be more vulnerable and have less health so things will be challenging?

Question about combat in general:
How is the combat in AC2 different than AC1?
i know ezio have a lot more weapons and that he can disarm if he fights with his bare hands but is there any other changes to the mechanics? any difference in how u block? or counter? or dodge? or grab?
any difference in the AI during combat?

feel free to share anything u see different, for better and for worse in AC2

Dec.2012
11-23-2009, 12:11 PM
my questions are regarding the challenge of combat -

is it as p!ss easy as in AC1?

Well, read on.

do the guards use defense break more often so i wouldnt be able to hold "block" and go take a coffee break?

Yes, depending on what type of guard, stronger guards are able to hit you while in defensive stance, and even knock your weapon out of your hands.

can the counter still be abused until everyone is dead?

I guess it could, the easier guards usually always die from it, but harder guards can stop your counter mid-way, tiring them to the point when you Can kill them with a counter, and even harder guards will counter your counter.

can i NOT buy any armor upgrade and be more vulnerable and have less health so things will be challenging?

I believe you can go through the game without buying armour, but you DO have to collect codex pages (30 of them), which increase your health for every 4 you find.

Question about combat in general:

How is the combat in AC2 different than AC1?

You can disarm, and pull off some cool new finishing moves, depending on which weapon you hold, which weapon they hold, and which guard you are fighting. Double blades allow for you to kill two guards at once, and you can poison a guard to make them go beserk. It's not too different though IMO.

i know ezio have a lot more weapons and that he can disarm if he fights with his bare hands but is there any other changes to the mechanics? any difference in how u block? or counter? or dodge? or grab?

Block is the same, but guards will be able to get through depending on how hard they are, counter is the same, but as you go on, guards tend to block you at least mid-way though the counter. Dodging seems to be the same to me, but more useful, now that you have to use it for those who block your counters. I can't remember how the grab worked in the first game, but now when you grab a guard (Usually only the easier guards), you can throw them,or you can pull of 3 of the following in any order: headbutt, punch, or knee them.

any difference in the AI during combat?

They are ranked, so harder enemies require you to dodge instead of counter, because you cannot counter their attacks, and the will block your grabs.

adarwinter
11-24-2009, 04:00 AM
good post, dec.2012.

thanks.

more Qs -

1) how high could your health go if u dont buy a tougher armor? u said that codex pages add health - so if u start with 5 blocks than u can get up to 12? is that right?

2) i saw (in youtube) guards that hold spears that seemed to ALWAYS block and the only way the player could get through was to grab them, through them and smack them while they are trying to get up, and THAT way never failed. it's like u cant kill them in way A but way B is failproof. did i see correctly?

3) how is the general difficulty of AC2 compared to AC1? harder or easier? cuz i read it was a really easy game....

guipit
11-24-2009, 05:20 AM
They have health bars now so no more instant kills unless you have a good enough weapon.

I suggest not buying armor if you want it to be more difficult.

PS. The hidden blades counters give instant kills

Dynasty2021
11-24-2009, 05:23 AM
Its still 'easy'.

You can carry around health potions (10 in small bag that you purchase, dont know about the other bag(s)) which can be used at any time by pressing left on the d-pad.

It instantly puts you to max health depending on what type you buy and how long your health bar is.

Combat requires more focus, you cant just hold block the whole time as theyll get through it.

I personally have been playing for about 7 hours and have only died from falling by trying stupid jumps and..failing obviously. Mainly when running from guards.

Although you can now sweep guards around you with spears and halbeards once you spend money to learn it from your trainer.

You can also throw sand in front of you buy holding attack when in unnarmed combat, which acts as a stun for a few seconds of everyone infront of you.

More importantly though, its ALOT more FUN.

caswallawn_2k7
11-24-2009, 05:33 AM
dec.2012 on the grabs you missed the one were you get behind the guard and can either use it like a human shield for a bit or just slit it throat.