PDA

View Full Version : 37 mm AA question

Desslock
07-24-2005, 05:35 PM
i just wonder..when i personally use this gun i see a tracer, and if it hits the planes it does damage ->ok

But if my sailors use it, i see a tracer and a shrapnel explosion near the plane. Now, can i make the shrapnel too?? I tried holding and releasing fire button, but doesn't work. Heeelp!!

captsteubie
07-25-2005, 02:33 AM
Is it possible that your AA crew selects AA 37mm bursting projectiles for anti-aircraft defense while you choose 37mm AP rounds instead? I finally got rid of mine and got a quad 20mm instead. Sunderland bait....mmmmmmmmm! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Desslock
07-25-2005, 03:34 AM
good point... i didn't think about that. Thanks a lot!!

twistedpretzel
07-25-2005, 03:52 AM
Get this, i use the AA ammo aswell, but there must be someway to range the explosions as per real life, for all my ammunition explodes way behind my target, while with my crew in command, it explodes around the target, hell, maybe its just them hitting it when i cant.

FDNYFAN
07-25-2005, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by twistedpretzel:
Get this, i use the AA ammo aswell, but there must be someway to range the explosions as per real life, for all my ammunition explodes way behind my target, while with my crew in command, it explodes around the target, hell, maybe its just them hitting it when i cant.

Do you aim directly on the target or slightly in front of it?

Grey004
07-25-2005, 09:42 PM
Thing to remember when using the AA yourself.

Old duck hunters saying,"aim a little ahead of the beak,for if you aim at the beak you'll clip its rump.

Modified it so it won't offend the sprogs(kids).

CannonFodda_99
07-25-2005, 10:53 PM
I think he was referring to the fact that he could not adjust the range that the flak rounds detonated.

Does someone have the answer? I would like to know too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Cannon

twistedpretzel
07-25-2005, 10:56 PM
slightly in front of it?

Yes.

The flak would be set to detonate after so far a distance in real life, my crew has the ability to do this, i do not.

ShinyBaldy
07-25-2005, 11:35 PM
ok... someone has got to educate me on the historical accuracy of this.

The only kind of fuse I believe that can be easily targeted on a quick firing AA weapon on a shell like 37mm is a proximity fuse... which detonates itself by the radar reflection emitted by the gun.

How would the AA-crew on a submarine be able to use such a fuse? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

twistedpretzel
07-25-2005, 11:49 PM
Maybe i was wrong, but i just put two and two together, how does flak work?

Flak explodes in the air around its target sending magnesium shards into the target.

I figured that the opposing force doesnt just play along and fly at a pre determined altitude so that your flak guns can be effectivly used, and i could have sworn hearing that the altitude of aircraft would be guessed and the flak would be adjusted until they get the right altitude and start laying it down on them.

twistedpretzel
07-25-2005, 11:50 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flak

So it did happen, and my crew does use it, but how do i.

captsteubie
07-26-2005, 12:20 AM
It is possible that you can't do it yourself. I never had much success with the 37mm. I had the same late bursting problems that you speak of. I just tried to place the round in the cockpit, but never had any luck. The 37mm was only good for busting up trucks, lifeboats, and PT boats on my patrols. I upgraded to the quad 20mm ASAP and had much better success. I also shot up a bunch of those danged yellow cranes with no result. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif

ShinyBaldy
07-26-2005, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by twistedpretzel:
Maybe i was wrong, but i just put two and two together, how does flak work?

Flak explodes in the air around its target sending magnesium shards into the target.

I figured that the opposing force doesnt just play along and fly at a pre determined altitude so that your flak guns can be effectivly used, and i could have sworn hearing that the altitude of aircraft would be guessed and the flak would be adjusted until they get the right altitude and start laying it down on them.

however... there is a difference between FLAK and AA guns. Flak artillery is generally large 88 milimeter guns. Batteries have all the optical gear necessary, sometimes even radar control in conjunction with search lights... proximity fuses would work well in such a setting.

But... on a Uboat???? There isn't an anti-aircraft radar for proximity, not the complexity necessary on the guns I think... they're essentially large calibre exploding shell cannons.

twistedpretzel
07-26-2005, 02:47 AM
however... there is a difference between FLAK and AA guns. Flak artillery is generally large 88 milimeter guns. Batteries have all the optical gear necessary, sometimes even radar control in conjunction with search lights... proximity fuses would work well in such a setting.

They talked about 37mm aswell in the article.

It wasnt talking just about proximity fuses, thsoe came much, much later, but time and such.

they're essentially large calibre exploding shell cannons.

Hey, look, you figured out the concept of flak!

The fact of the matter is that in the game it is used, some kind of fuses with the 37mm, but only when the crew is in control.

I was wondering if it was possible for me to set the fuses, and as far as i can tell, it isnt, case closed see ya later.

Desslock
07-26-2005, 05:09 AM
i find the 37 mm grat for slow and big planes, one AA shot can be enough to bring them down.
Will compare it with quad 20mm but i'm still in 1942.

twistedpretzel
07-26-2005, 12:54 PM
You get a double barreled 37mm that fires non stop, works great when your crew uses it.