PDA

View Full Version : Rockets for air to air

hugohugo37
10-10-2005, 05:51 PM
What are good fuse and convergence settings for rockets when trying to shoot down bombers? Can you recommend any specific techniques as well?

p1ngu666
10-10-2005, 06:02 PM
get close http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Enforcer572005
10-10-2005, 06:04 PM
I set my fuse setting at 500m, but i cant really estimate range that good, so ive only scored one kill by proximity blast, and that was when i was ripple firing them after my engine had been shot out......wouldnt it be cool if we had proximity fuses that went off when they were the closest to an aircraft, like actual AA?

I recomend getting pretty close and hoping for a direct hit, as they arent very accurate (as in reality). there is a screenshot on my VVS fihters pt 1 thread (about 6 to 7 pages back by now, at least) of an He-111 blowing up from a direct hit. they are pretty effective if you get a hit, but i usually only average about one in 8.

dont waste you time on anything smaller than a twin engine bomber, and then only if hes not manuvering.

they are a load of fun though. ive only tried them from La-3s so far, but i dont even know if the me-262 can carry them in this sim, but i assume it can. that might be fun.....i assume the german ones are alot more powerful than the little rs82 rusn rockets.

SlickStick
10-10-2005, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by p1ngu666:
get close http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Hehehe, too close though and you go boom, too. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

I think I'm set to 5 secs and 700m to make them fly as straight as possible until impact. I always take a high approach to bombers, usually diving at an angle that the gunners cannot shoot up at. I'm very patient when it comes to attacking bombers and will climb above one for some time setting up my attack.

Then, I like to lead the plane slightly and make the bomber fly into the rockets path. When not using rockets, same approach, but I bring full guns and aim for the pit or wing, just outside of the outboard-most engine.

Air-to-air rockets in dogfighting can be fun and I've scored a few kills using them. Some in Lagg3 '41, most in I-153 and I-16.

p1ngu666
10-10-2005, 07:23 PM
yeah, i did scare myself by shootin down 3-4 ju52s in a row with rockets, got real close

Kernow
10-11-2005, 05:10 AM
As I found B-25s too dangerous to approach closely in a Zero I experimented with the bomb-rockets available on the later A6Ms. A 2 sec delay gives a range around 600 m (I forget how much of the sight the B-25's wingspan fills at that range - but can easily be checked in QMB w/ icons). I put convergence at something other than 600, so there's a slight spread when they go off - bigger area of affect. Even if you miss there's a fair chance of damage with the airburst.

I think similar settings worked for I-16s w/ RS-82s used against German bombers. To judge the range I waited for the gunners to open fire and then released a rocket salvo. It seems 2.2 sec rings a bell here, but not certain.

The German 21 cm rocket initially flies above the boresight line, but then drops down through it. It's a while since I tried it, but I've located a scrap of paper which says 6 sec -> 1400 m. That means it's gone 1400 m (actually more than that; it's reached a bomber that was 1400 m ahead at launch) after 6 sec. I guess that was obvious, but the significance of the 6 sec is probably that that is when the rocket drops through the centre of the sight. To find out how big a B-17 looks at 1400 m you'd have to try QMB again. Even with that info I reckon it would be a bit of a hit & miss affair (lots of miss), but at least they can't shoot back at that range and it was intended for use of formations. I seem to recall I could knock down the odd B-17 from a formation of 4 and often damaged one or two.

Allied (US/GB) rockets can't have a delayed fuse, so you'd need to hit with them, if you really wanted to use them air-to-air.

WOLFMondo
10-11-2005, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by p1ngu666:
yeah, i did scare myself by shootin down 3-4 ju52s in a row with rockets, got real close

That was great fun to watch!

nakamura_kenji
10-11-2005, 05:50 AM
rocket on me-262 like super shotgun ^_^

very unrealistic me-262 with rocket and unlimt ammo v 16 b17 quick mission so much fun ^_^

tjaika1910
10-11-2005, 09:10 AM
I joined a server that was real airquakish. I used 1 sec delay on rockets (did not change convergence i think, leaving it default) and got quite some fighters with it (they were typically ├╝ber and I had a Chaika). With some practice I think it could be a blast, but I do not know if you would be popular on server if you perfected it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

marc_hawkins
10-11-2005, 10:49 AM
while still trying to fly in a straight line, i've been giving the rockets a go on the BF110 at some 4 engine types.. are they for use in air to air? managed to down a B17 with them whatever they are supposed to do! mind you, that was probably luck since the rest of the time, even with guns, i'm not doing overly well...

jimDG
10-11-2005, 10:55 AM
..online you dont get any kill points for that. Or rather - you do, but as if it's a ground/parked a/c kill.

SlickStick
10-11-2005, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by jimDG:
..online you dont get any kill points for that. Or rather - you do, but as if it's a ground/parked a/c kill.

Downing a flying bomber online, whether with guns or rockets, yields the same points. 100 points per engine if you are awarded the kill.

The other points you describe is when attacking ground targets. Static ones give less points than actual ground targets set-up by the map maker.

As for the question as to whether they are to be used for air-to-air or not, they are unguided rockets, aim and shoot. They were used for both aspects in WWII. Air-to-air, not so much the dogfighting kind, but for bomber attacks, and for ground-pounding, obviously. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

PBNA-Boosher
10-11-2005, 11:01 AM
Keep it at 500 meters. If one rocket hits a bomber it's going down. If you fire your whole salvo into a pocket of bombers, a few should go down. Also a bonus with rockets being fired is the 1/2 second cover you get to make a split against enemy fire.