PDA

View Full Version : TrackIR Question...

LEBillfish
11-11-2009, 09:45 AM
Hi All;

Anticipating being able to get back in the virtual air again, after all these years I'm considering getting TIR.....My question however is simple.

Could anyone relay their experience between TIR4 & TIR5?

I'm curious to discover if 5 is better enough to justify 50% more in price.

K2

RAF_OldBuzzard
11-11-2009, 11:26 AM
I got TIR not too long ago, and looked at both versions.

I went with 5 because of the higher resolution. Here's a Naturalpoint page that compares the specs of 4 & 5.

http://www.naturalpoint.com/tr...duct-comparison.html (http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/02-products/trackir-product-comparison.html)

I used that page to see the differences, and went with 5.

I also got the "TrackClip PRO", and for me it was a waste of $$. I used it for a couple of weeks, but found that I liked the hat clip much better. The TrackClip was just a PIA, I kept bumping it, and it seemed like it was always 'in the way'.

Either way though, I think you will be more than happy with TIR. It's amazing at just how much better it makes the game. It makes as much, or more difference as adding rudder pedels as opposed to a twist stick.

Choctaw111
11-11-2009, 11:39 AM
I know that you have seen numerous threads on the TrackIR.
I don't own a 5 but each version is better than the last. Is it worth 50% more in price, I don't know.
I am surprised to know that having been such an avid Il2 pilot, that you never had one of these.
Once you try it out for a few days, you will wonder how you ever flew without one, and will definitely NOT go back to the POV hat or any other method for looking around.
Once you get this, I beg of you to please tell us all what you think of it.

Bearcat99
11-11-2009, 04:57 PM
She's been kickin ace with a spartan rig for a while now... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

A testament both to her skill and to this sim.. K I don't know about the 5.. if I were in your shoes I'd probably go with a 5.. I had a TIR1 which I sent back.. it made me nauseous.. then got a TIR2 @ 2 years later.. and for a while there I couldn't get it to work right.. I would only use it enroute to or from the combat zone as I couln't get it to work reliably.. then one night I read the directions again.. from cover to cover twice... and a light went on.. I managed to set it set just right... When the 6DoF came out with TIR3 (@ 3 months after i got the 2 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif ) I declined to upgrade because there wasn't much out there that supported it at the time.. When FSX came out I upgraded to 4.. ten the mods hit and it was all good..

I have 4 that I am happy with.. but I imagine that 5 will be smoother and again the better resolution thing is great.. If I were starting from scratch I'd go with the 5 considering that it is still pretty new..

doraemil
11-12-2009, 01:20 AM
Oh I dunno, I got track IR 5 . . .

have you ever played Il-2 with the keyboard? I have, and maneuvering around was such a chore, it felt like that using the mouse or keyboard or pov hats to look around.

Then you use a joystick in IL-2, and BOW!! You can do all sorts of manoeuvres. It's like that for viewing Track IR 5.

And I can use full cockpit now. However I still suck at IL-2 *cries at Skies of Valor*

TIR 5 improved so I didn't have to use TOAD's fix, (Its a thread he has . . . "cheap Track Ir fix" TOAD had the kick booty thread on how to use ping pong balls w/ reflective tape to fix it).

If you're getting TIR 5, don't bother with track IR clip pro (for headset) it does the same thing.

For me its verily awesome and as important as non fogging canopy.

I could have gotten 4 but I got 5 so I won't have to upgrade TIR for BOB SOW.

TheFamilyMan
11-12-2009, 01:57 PM
I'm curious too, though I already own a TIR 4 and have no plans to upgrade. Here's my 2 cents:

Has any TIR4 user ever complained "crud, if only this thing had higher resolution and tracked more smoothly"? I've never seen or heard this complaint nor ever thought about it myself.

But in the end if you got the extra $50 get the latest and greatest, even if it's only for the comfort that owning "the latest" provides in the long run.

LEBillfish
11-13-2009, 03:31 PM
thanks for the input yet was hoping someone could relate an actual comparison....Appreciate the response guys!

K2

SeaFireLIV
11-13-2009, 03:45 PM
Guess I`m late here. I would say it`s not worth going to TIR5, TIR4 6DOF is really all you need for the cash and i even use the TIR5 DRIVER with it which actually solved some sticking issues I had with TIR4; sometimes TIR4 wasn`t working properly when starting IL2 in game for some weird reason, though it was probably my rig or Win 7 causing the problem.

Woof603
11-13-2009, 06:27 PM
I have both 4 and 5 and much prefer 5 with track clip pro. TR5 is smoother and with almost 360 field of view. Well worth the money.